.75 gallon reef

okayamapiper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fun, I am going to try to set up a 2.7 liter (.75 gallon) tank using only air pumps. It will use a modified hang on hatchery as the filter. Air powered skimmer and possibly a reverse Carlson surge device (if I can find space for it) or a regular Carlson surge device. Lighting will be a homemade LED array using my dead Pentium 4 heatsink and fan. Just wondering if anybody has experience doing this. I will be off to pick up the tank tomorrow and will update with photos if interested.

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would LOVE to see this. Please post photos ASAP! This seems like it's going to be a very fun thread.

OP
OP
okayamapiper

okayamapiper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the interest. I will document everything with photos and update once the hatchery and aquarium are in hand.

OP
OP
okayamapiper

okayamapiper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the LFS and was told I was insane. Using an airlift to move the water would cause a lot of evap and salt spray. With the small tank, salinity would go all over the place. Also as it would not be using a cooler and ambient temp is above 30 centigrade I would have heat problems,so it has been put on the back burner. I ended up ordering an acrylic overflow with a 7 liter display and 3 liter sump. It is half the size of my smallest overflow and has room for a Peltier cooler, Carlson surge device, and an Led array. The tank will cost $80 with pump, substrate and heater. All I need is some acrylic for the hood and I am in business. Considering I was looking at a $25 air pump for my previous project, this may be the better deal. Now for convincing my wife

Back