75 gallon tank questions

cminshall29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank I wanted to turn into a saltwater aquarium what would be okay to put in the tank? I’m not sure to be honest planning on getting 120-140 in a couple years too as well

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What are you considering? Most tangs are going to be too large long term for a 75 but there are some smaller tangs that could be fine for a year or so. Are you planning a reef or FOWLR?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think One Spots are on the smaller side of the Rabbitfish/Foxface but they still get big enough that long term housing in a 75 probably could cause issues.

Are you looking for more utilitarian fish (algae eaters, pest defense, etc) or pretty and bright? Lots of movement or lazy swimming? Perching fish?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry for all of the questions but it'll help people narrow down a list of options

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How big of a tank for a fox face or tang 100g?
Probably closer to a 6' tank minimum. Most Tangs require 180+. Foxface stay slightly smaller so I think a 5' tank is the minimum recommended for those guys.

OP
OP
C

cminshall29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably closer to a 6' tank minimum. Most Tangs require 180+. Foxface stay slightly smaller so I think a 5' tank is the minimum recommended for those guys.

I don’t know what to do at this point

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a bristle tooth tang or tomini tang in a 75 gallons. They are smaller but just like other tangs and there are many sub-species to choose from.

I wouldn’t get a foxface but there are other interesting fish you can get if you do your research. I had a similar thread with ideas when I changes my 75 gallons from fresh to salt.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you considering? Most tangs are going to be too large long term for a 75 but there are some smaller tangs that could be fine for a year or so. Are you planning a reef or FOWLR?
tangs are fine, they don't grow like weeds, lol you can pretty much get anything you want

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can have a bristle tooth tang or tomini tang in a 75 gallons. They are smaller but just like other tangs and there are many sub-species to choose from.

I wouldn’t get a foxface but there are other interesting fish you can get if you do your research. I had a similar thread with ideas when I changes my 75 gallons from fresh to salt.
Tomini and some of the Bristletooth tangs were the ones I was thinking as well.

Foxface Lo tend to stay on the smaller side but I think they still hit 9" or so at max.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a purple tang in a 75 gallon for five years. It is only 3-4” long. Probably not the norm, but just an example. Options include dwarf angelfish like coral beauty, flame angel or fuzzy dwarf lionfish for a 75 gallon fowlr.I used to use liveaquaria.com for suggested tank sizes, but also just as a guide.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangs are fine, they don't grow like weeds, lol you can pretty much get anything you want
Hold up...did you verify this with R2R Tang Police?? You might be in deep trouble here pal!!
season 3 GIF

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the tang! Some do grow like weeds (my yellow did and my powder blue did when I had her) my powder brown also grew pretty fast!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the tang! Some do grow like weeds (my yellow did and my powder blue did when I had her) my powder brown also grew pretty fast!
none of mine grew fast, they never get to crazy sizes that someone with a 75 gallon can't have them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back