OP
OP
Mickeyt1reef

Mickeyt1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I finally rented a PAR meter and mapped out my 75 shallow. The tank is 60"X18"DX16"H. My lighting consist of an Amazon, 4 bank T5 fixture and 2X48" OR3 blue+ LED bars. All lights are enclosed in a hood. The lights are approximately 8.5 inches off the waters surface. I have a map for the OR3s alone and two maps for OR3s plus two different T5 combos. The first is my original combo, OR3s plus 2Blue+ 1Coral+ and 1actinic, all ATI lamps. This combo was 1 year old at the time of measurement. The last mapping photo is the 2XOR3s plus with the new T5 combo, 3B+ 1C+ all ATI. You will see, that while the OR3s do not provide a lot of punch deeper in the tank (probably be reduced due to the angle) they definitely provide the blue LED pop! On the second map I quickly found out that 48 inch fixtures in a 5' tank drop off dramatically on the ends at the 8 inch height. Obviously the middle of the tank is receiving the most punch. Back in the day I ran MH with VHO actinics and was always a fan of the actinic bulbs, however; in this configuration it seemed to reduce PAR and be a waist of a lamp when compared to the blue+. I swapped out all of the bulbs to the new config, 2XOR3s plus the new T5 combo, 3B+ 1C+ all ATI and was surprised at the increase. On the third map I left the old measurement in a from-to type format so you can clearly see the increase. The PAR clearly still drops off dramatically on the ends with the center of the tank receiving the highest PAR.

Attachments

• 2X OR3s 48.jpg
    2X OR3s 48.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 22
  • T5_ 1yr_ 2B+ 1C+ 1Actinic and OR3s.jpg
    T5_ 1yr_ 2B+ 1C+ 1Actinic and OR3s.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 24
  • T5 New 3B+ 1C+ and 2 OR3s.jpg
    T5 New 3B+ 1C+ and 2 OR3s.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Mickeyt1reef

Mickeyt1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, I finally did an update on the 75 Shallow after having knee surgery followed up by shoulder surgery. Knee just a clean up. Not so bad. Shoulder, that was a whole other deal. Thought it was just rotator cuff but I had a significant slap tear. Still recovering from that. Getting better every week though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back