75g build

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

This is my new build after being away from the hobby for quite a few years now. Tank has been filled since 1.9.20. Anticipating some fish and corals at the end of this month. Waiting on spectrapure shipment for AWC and ATO.

Tank1.jpg Tank2.jpg Tank3.jpg Tank4.jpg

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to fish!

What type of auto-water change setup are you planning for?
It'll be spectrapure's litermeter 3 with water exchange module. I plan to do about 1 gallon daily. Total volume is around 100g with a trigger ruby cube 20g sump.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start! What lighting do you have? Do you have a plan for fish and coral?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are starting with some live rock which is nice. Also the "minimalist" look would you say? I am planning a move in that direction myself. Once I get over my procrastination phase tomorrow. Or the next day.

Do you have some rock/media hiding out in the sump by chance?

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start! What lighting do you have? Do you have a plan for fish and coral?
This tank is lit by a single Orphek Atlantik V4. A friend of mine is taking his tank down so I will be putting those fish and coral into this tank. I know that he's got a purple tang that will come over first and however many of the coral I have room for on the initial drive.
Looks like you are starting with some live rock which is nice. Also the "minimalist" look would you say? I am planning a move in that direction myself. Once I get over my procrastination phase tomorrow. Or the next day.

Do you have some rock/media hiding out in the sump by chance?
There is about 40 pounds of Real Reef rock (dry) in there. No rocks in the sump. I have 3 more shelf rocks but I couldn't find a great way to incorporate it into the aquascape. It definitely is a bit more minimalist. I think it will be full looking when I place all the corals in there.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is lit by a single Orphek Atlantik V4. A friend of mine is taking his tank down so I will be putting those fish and coral into this tank. I know that he's got a purple tang that will come over first and however many of the coral I have room for on the initial drive.

There is about 40 pounds of Real Reef rock (dry) in there. No rocks in the sump. I have 3 more shelf rocks but I couldn't find a great way to incorporate it into the aquascape. It definitely is a bit more minimalist. I think it will be full looking when I place all the corals in there.

I think the "old wisdom" of 1 pound per gallon on rock is excessive, but you may be pushing the envelope a tad with 40 pounds depending on your fish load. Perhaps you can ponder the +/- of some ceramic media in the sump to compensate. I am familiar with the fears of aluminum leaching, but my ICP tests don't support that theory, and I have cubic acres of the stuff.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew I have a mess going on down here with wires!

20200220_153215.jpg

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the "old wisdom" of 1 pound per gallon on rock is excessive, but you may be pushing the envelope a tad with 40 pounds depending on your fish load. Perhaps you can ponder the +/- of some ceramic media in the sump to compensate. I am familiar with the fears of aluminum leaching, but my ICP tests don't support that theory, and I have cubic acres of the stuff.

I do have some dry rock that I bleached from my old tank sitting around. You recommend I add some of that to the sump? I do prefer that that rock island on the right was a bit weightier looking, but I'm not sure how to swing that without blocking a lot of the open water space.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all think of adding any of this to the front sump chamber by the heaters? Skimmer will go into the drain chamber. The old Fiji rock have been out of an aquarium sitting dry for years now and I soaked then in diluted bleach water some months ago before deciding on real reef rock. My old rocks were coated with bubble algae and aiptasia so still makes me cautious about putting them in haha.

Should I add any of these? Should I scrub them first somehow or can I just place them? Will have a few fish and corals a week from today. Somewhat concerned it may cycle if I add this now.

20200220_171537.jpg 20200220_171456.jpg

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed some of that rock in the sump. I've been communicating back and forth with Orphek by email over a loud fan that my fixture has had new out of the box. Didnt realize that was abnormal at first until I asked. They've been great and sending replacement fans. Just wanted to give them a shout out for the support I've gotten.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who manufactured the tank? What type of stand? Is that a RO return pump?
This is innovative marine EXT 75g display and a trigger ruby 20 cube sump. Return pump is a Varios4. I originally looked at reef savvy for a 36x24x20 tank, but for the price and this being a more temporary tank for a few years, I found this tank which had identical dimensions. BRS ran a sale on them late last year.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is innovative marine EXT 75g display and a trigger ruby 20 cube sump. Return pump is a Varios4. I originally looked at reef savvy for a 36x24x20 tank, but for the price and this being a more temporary tank for a few years, I found this tank which had identical dimensions.

I figured it was the IM 75 ext. Looking nice. Do you feel the varios4 pushes enough water for the 75g? And what setting do u have it on?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all think of adding any of this to the front sump chamber by the heaters? Skimmer will go into the drain chamber. The old Fiji rock have been out of an aquarium sitting dry for years now and I soaked then in diluted bleach water some months ago before deciding on real reef rock. My old rocks were coated with bubble algae and aiptasia so still makes me cautious about putting them in haha.

Should I add any of these? Should I scrub them first somehow or can I just place them? Will have a few fish and corals a week from today. Somewhat concerned it may cycle if I add this now.

20200220_171537.jpg 20200220_171456.jpg

I think a little extra rock in the system is a good idea and playing with the aquascape now is much easier before the corals come.

Not to confuse things too much, but maybe your LFS will give you some exchange value for your dry rock so that you could purchase some of their live rock. Preferably live sump rock without aiptasia. Just a thought. Total dead rock startups can be tediously slow to mature.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to move my RODI machine to the basement. Theres already a plastic water line that used to go to a fridge ice maker. I'm wondering if I can just use that. How close do you all have your actual rodi machine to the pipe source? If I use this tubing the water would travel maybe 15 feet or so downhill first and then horizontally before reaching the machine. Not sure how much this impacts input pressure?

The other solution is maybe a pipe adaptor with the 1/4 inch compression fitting and valve like this on the sink: https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCr...let-1-4-Turn-Angle-Valve-G2CR09X-C1/205359713

What do you guys think?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to move my RODI machine to the basement. Theres already a plastic water line that used to go to a fridge ice maker. I'm wondering if I can just use that. How close do you all have your actual rodi machine to the pipe source? If I use this tubing the water would travel maybe 15 feet or so downhill first and then horizontally before reaching the machine. Not sure how much this impacts input pressure?

The other solution is maybe a pipe adaptor with the 1/4 inch compression fitting and valve like this on the sink: https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCr...let-1-4-Turn-Angle-Valve-G2CR09X-C1/205359713

What do you guys think?

I have a pretty long lateral run of 1/4 tubing to my RODI with no discernable problems.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks scott. I'm going to get everything moved downstairs today as far as rodi goes.

It's getting close guys! Check back late friday for some fish and coral pics.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys prefer fritz 9 or microbacter 7 as far as notifying bacteria go? I'm going to pick up a bottle to dose while I have some livestock added. Tank has been up a few months now but want to make sure ammonia doesnt spike on me. I'm not sure but fritz may be the only one I'm able to get local tonight.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.8%
Back