OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, Pinky. Your gonna have to stop pulling the temp probes off the wall.
16281178188614271081317190408010.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa boy do they lurve BBS.

I'm trying an experiment. I've drained about 2/3rds of what's hatched today and replaced with fresh water. I'll let it run tonight and try to feed some spirulina and grow them out a bit. Not nearly everything hatched so I'm sure there will be at least more newly hatched ones.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get some green on the rocks. Is it weird that I'm kinda excited about algae?
162878202627023946604253031045.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210814_120028.jpg

More exciting things growing on the dead rock!

Fish are all doing well. Had a minor panic moment when the goby and shrimp didn't come out for morning meal time. The did end up coming out later in the day. Just sleeping in on the weekend I guess.

I split the white worm culture up, and one of them is to a point where I think I can start feeding those regularly. I'm trying not to take a ton out because I only have 4 small fish. But they all go nuts for them.

I've also been hatching BBS. So far my attempts to grow them out in a lazy fashion hasn't worked out. I've added spirulina 24 hours after the hatch, and after removing a large portion of them, hoping that would add some extra nutrition to the few left in the hatchery for the next day. Not sure if it's working though. /shrug

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change day! I glued the temp probes down. Good luck pulling those off again.

I also made a small modification to the overflow. It wasn't keeping the water level high enough to avoid the waterfall noise from the HOB filter. I glued some strips of acrylic onto the box to raise the intake level. Seems to be working so far.
20210815_083606.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying another emerald crab. Hopefully the urchin doesn't eat this one.

The next addition is going to be a tomini tang I think. Now that I'm starting to get some algae, a good herbivore seems like a good idea. The tomini being the only tang species that would do well in a 75g. The urchin is knocking some of the algae out though. And I can see clean spots on the glass where the snails have been. In that same vain, I'm also planning on another 25g clean up crew from reefcleaners. I can probably support more snails and crabs at this point.
16296401454343087817409290313123.jpg

In fact, I just did my water testing and found my nitrate and phosphate are lower than they were in Wednesday. I'm guessing that's the algae tying them up.

The dkh was around 7. I'm thinking I need to look into dosing kalk to bring that up a little to get ready for coral.

SJ701

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FedEx sucks. My replacement mounting screws got delayed a day. Hrmph.

But I did pick up a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp. In the acclimation bucket now.

1627769048905390966962693760962.jpg

I was also kinda hoping I'd see the emerald crab again. Like maybe it molted and the leg hanging down was just it's old skin. No such luck. I'm guessing it died somehow, and the urchin ate it. Definitely have to try another one of those.
My favorites to watch in my tank.. Such a funny duo.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorites to watch in my tank.. Such a funny duo.
I think they're my favorite so far too. They're not very brave. Still tend to stick close to the burrow. And dive back in if I approach the tank too fast. That snapping sound from the tank startles me every once in a while. Shockingly loud.

I did watch the goby scrare off one of the big nassarius snails that got too close. Mouth all agape. Pretty funny.

SJ701

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're my favorite so far too. They're not very brave. Still tend to stick close to the burrow. And dive back in if I approach the tank too fast. That snapping sound from the tank startles me every once in a while. Shockingly loud.

I did watch the goby scrare off one of the big nassarius snails that got too close. Mouth all agape. Pretty funny.
you just described mine as well. haha. Its funny whos allowed near the cave doors.. clown and shrimp welcome to hang out out front but anyone else is shoot on site.. and hermits are likely to get dragged in, only to walk out 20 mins later.. and for some reason, Goby has no problem letting certain nassy snails touch him but not others..

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you just described mine as well. haha. Its funny whos allowed near the cave doors.. clown and shrimp welcome to hang out out front but anyone else is shoot on site.. and hermits are likely to get dragged in, only to walk out 20 mins later.. and for some reason, Goby has no problem letting certain nassy snails touch him but not others..
Now that I think about it, that might explain why the other three fish are only ever on the other side of the tank. Mr. Grumpy face decided he gets a whole 2ft to himself.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210908_175200.jpg

Algae definitely taking off. I wasn't too worried about ripping it all out, but I'm finding it's getting tangled up in the power heads and around the HOB filter intake. I pulled some of it out over the weekend. I'll get a few more handfuls tonight.

I ordered some more snails and crabs to hopefully keep it a little more under control. I haven't been able to get ahold of a tang yet. I'm also considering a blenny for algae eating.

I also added a sand Conch. Can't get the fish I want so settled for a great big snail!

I've been waiting to get a good picture of the urchin with a hat on, but this seems to be the best she can do. I even pulled it off her once and tried to put it back correctly. Didn't take. Sorry, @Porkenchop, not the best spokes-urchin for your hats. :D
20210908_175114.jpg

Also, fun new critters popped up. Stomatella snails I'm told. Have a few of them so I'm hopeful they'll reproduce.
20210906_205600.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need to start dosing alk, at least a little. It's dropped 2 points since my last water change. I'm assuming corraline is consuming it. That's the only thing I know of that would be at this point. Thinking kalkwasser would be the way to go at this point.

In the near future I think I'm going to add a sump. Tank isn't/can't be drilled, so HOB overflow it is. Using a standard aquarium and one of the sump kits will probably be the way I go. How big of a nightmare is adding the plumbing to a full tank going to be? If anyone following this has done something similar I'd appreciate any tips.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New guy.
20210918_180355_003_saved.jpg

Unfortunately he terrifies my fire fish and YWG. I've never seen him be aggressive towards either of them, but they both avoid him like the plague. Neither of them are out and about as often. Hopefully they adjust. The clowns don't seem to have a problem with him.

On the plus side he is the most active fish. All over the tank, swimming through the rocks, pecking at the rocks and glass. Much better looking in person than in pictures too. I wanted him for algae eating, and tominis were the only tang that would work in my tank. I was a little disappointed when I saw the pictures, but turns out they didn't do him justice.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow in my 75, and she was the one who hid. It took a couple of weeks for my fire fish to come around and be out again. Once the fire fish knew it wasn't in danger, it seemed fine again.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow in my 75, and she was the one who hid. It took a couple of weeks for my fire fish to come around and be out again. Once the fire fish knew it wasn't in danger, it seemed fine again.
Fair enough. As with most things reef related, "just wait." :)

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need to start dosing alk, at least a little. It's dropped 2 points since my last water change. I'm assuming corraline is consuming it. That's the only thing I know of that would be at this point. Thinking kalkwasser would be the way to go at this point.

In the near future I think I'm going to add a sump. Tank isn't/can't be drilled, so HOB overflow it is. Using a standard aquarium and one of the sump kits will probably be the way I go. How big of a nightmare is adding the plumbing to a full tank going to be? If anyone following this has done something similar I'd appreciate any tips.
You have the exact same tank I have I think. I have it set up with one of the eshopps sumps and HOB overflow. You should be able to see plumbing set up in the early pages of my build thread for ideas. Happy to share plumbing was rather easy (says someone who never touched PVC before he got addicted to this). Even though a lot of people advised against HOB overflow, I didn't drill the tank in the end either. HOB overflow hasn't lost siphon in 4 years now. (and have set up some redundancy in case it ever does)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back