75g flow issues

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g tank with a dsb that always seems to have some kinds of algae issues. It comes and goes, but I think it’s mostly caused by a lack of flow. It’s an “aggressive” tank and i feed fairly heavily, nitrates hover between 25-50. I know this could be a contributing factor to the algae, but there’s a lot of detritus that gets trapped in the rockwork and in the sand so I’m thinking that adding more flow will keep this suspended it gets it through the return.

Right now the only flow is the return pump (782 gph) and a koralia powerhead that’s around 1400 gph. I’d like to hear some options to add more flow, especially on the bottom of the tank where the detritus builds up. I’ve been thinking of either adding more powerheads or a gyre (which I’ve never used before but sounds cool). Corals aren’t a concern as this was a fowlr that I’m slowly converting onto a softy tank. If anyone has any ideas please share.

85288E3E-308C-448A-AAD3-969DC4FC021A.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A powerhead down low will help. You could put it on a timer so it comes on a few min after each feeding to keep the excess food suspended.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A powerhead down low will help. You could put it on a timer so it comes on a few min after each feeding to keep the excess food suspended.
Should it be the same size as the other one, or would that be too much flow?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should it be the same size as the other one, or would that be too much flow?
Only you know how much flow you are getting out of the one you have . Something to keep in mind is the closer to the sand the more the sand can blow.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to lean towards gyres as they can spread flow across longways. You can dial them in to your needs as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back