75g Mixed Reef Lighting Recommendation

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO if you're not spending $1000 and actually want an "upgrade" T5's are the only way to go. Four to six T5' will grow anything you want better than any LED...

The best LED's match T5 performance and thats about it, but cost waaaaaay more.

Theoretically LEDs last longer and do have a smaller footprint, but the latter also typically means worse coverage, e.g., SPS, that grows on one side and dies on another where light does not go...

In sum, "upgrade" to whatever you're using (unless halides) means $1000 in LEDs (ecotech or kessil, etc) or just get some T5's (that everyone has known for years has literally grown the best reef tanks out there). Add a point source LED to the t5' like Kessil later for shimmer that we all like nowadays... when u can afford it..

When/if T5's become less available in 5 or 10 years, just switch them out with a nice coverage LED like XHO's. By then LEDS may have surpassed T5's in spectrum, growth, coverage, etc.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which lights are you using? The old AIs, the HDs, or the new 16s? I have 3 AI Primes and two coralife t5 fixtures using ATI blue+ and actinics over a 65 gallon. You can DEFINITELY get a mixed tank with those lights.
957AE290-6EA9-424F-944F-705F584E7FF1.jpeg
B1271C45-771F-4994-BF4B-09231A5A5A4A.jpeg
14EE5EC2-529C-49C4-B249-291080ADB7DC.jpeg

AI Prime 16HDs.

I was only referring to using the Primes and ONLY the Primes. It was suggested and I was hoping to give insight on that very specific set up. I was not satisfied and hoped to be informative on why.

The suggestions for T5s WITH the Primes seems to be a solid choice. I do not have any experience with it, though. Your lighting seems to be great and one that the OP could/should look at!

Beautiful tank!

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime 16HDs.

I was only referring to using the Primes and ONLY the Primes. It was suggested and I was hoping to give insight on that very specific set up. I was not satisfied and hoped to be informative on why.

The suggestions for T5s WITH the Primes seems to be a solid choice. I do not have any experience with it, though. Your lighting seems to be great and one that the OP could/should look at!

Beautiful tank!
Thanks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Interesting options. I like the ATI Hybrid + 2 primes. Looks like that would be about $800 by the time i buy bulbs, hanging kit, etc. A little cheaper than the Radions with their mounting arms, but not a ton cheaper.
thanks again!

That is a fantastic choice. You can also put reefbrites in the fixture if you don't want to swap bulbs out. I would stick with that ati and AI hybrid before the anti-led users hop on the thread lol

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a fantastic choice. You can also put reefbrites in the fixture if you don't want to swap bulbs out. I would stick with that ati and AI hybrid before the anti-led users hop on the thread lol

I think the aqualife hybrid and one LED, whatever you want that LED to be would be a very nice option. And to save money, just get the hybrid for now, buy the LED when you have the money....

Again, trying to cater my thoughts based on original poster wanting an upgrade but not wanting to spend lots of $$$ (I guess his budget is less than say $500). ..

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Id just watched used goods forum, you get something at good priced...

Last edited:
Back