75g Stocking List?

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my current 40g FO tank, I've already got 4 clownfish, a coral banded shrimp, and some miscellaneous hermit crabs and snails. I inherited the whole setup from friends about 4 months ago and immediately decided to upgrade.

I'm in the process of setting up a brand new 75g reef tank (w/30g sump) and could use some feedback on my stocking list and best approach to livestock. I know that some things should be introduced before others, I intend to quarantine everything, and I want to keep all of my current inhabitants. At this point, I'm mainly thinking about the fish, with cleanup crew and soft corals/LPS, and other invertebrates to come later.

4 clownfish (in the current tank)
1 Coral Banded Shrimp (in the current tank)
1 Coral Beauty (added next to last)
1 Kole Tang OR Fathead Anthias (last)
2 Banggai Cardinals
1 Yellow Assessor
1 Segmented Blenny
1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
3 Blue Green Chromis

I'm also a fan of the Longnose Hawkfish, but I figure the Segmented Blenny can scratch that itch without endangering tankmates.

I'm diligent about weekly water changes, and the new setup will have filter socks, a bio-pellet reactor, protein skimmer, refugium, and other media to help with the bio load.

Ideally, I'll put the clowns and shrimp in first, then use their current tank as the quarantine for incoming critters.

Any concerns with compatibility or overstocking? Suggestions for a more harmonious crew or ideal stocking order?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 clowns that’s almost a guaranteed battle.
I’d do 2 and add a 2 more chromis Instead

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 clowns that’s almost a guaranteed battle.
I’d do 2 and add a 2 more chromis Instead

Yeah, the problem is that I already have them. They came with the 40g that started this whole thing. They've been living together in that tank together for at least a year or more and seem to have worked out their pecking order. *shrug*

Otherwise, any concerns/suggestions? Really cool fish that I've overlooked?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in a tank that size you could keep my favorite tang, a yellow
Instead of the kole. This might be a better option since kole tangs are notorious for chasing Algae blennys. Every time I’ve put the 2 together the kole hunted the blenny (blenny did live though)

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in a tank that size you could keep my favorite tang, a yellow
Instead of the kole. This might be a better option since kole tangs are notorious for chasing Algae blennys. Every time I’ve put the 2 together the kole hunted the blenny (blenny did live though)

I'll definitely have to give the firefish some consideration.

I'd love a yellow tang, but I thought they needed more real estate..? I don't want to have to re-home anyone if I can help it. My tank is only 4" long.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely have to give the firefish some consideration.

I'd love a yellow tang, but I thought they needed more real estate..? I don't want to have to re-home anyone if I can help it. My tank is only 4" long.
I am setting up a 90-gallon tank (same footprint as your 75-gallon), and I have definitely read that yellow tangs are acceptable in a 4' 75-gallon. They might be considered borderline, though, according to some, so the Kole tang would be considered more acceptable for your tank size, since it will be smaller than the yellow tang. I personally would suggest you choose the one you prefer. If you include a tang, you also will want to make sure you leave swimming room and do not overfill the tank with aquascape rocks and corals.

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 90-gallon tank (same footprint as your 75-gallon), and I have definitely read that yellow tangs are acceptable in a 4' 75-gallon. They might be considered borderline, though, according to some, so the Kole tang would be considered more acceptable for your tank size, since it will be smaller than the yellow tang. I personally would suggest you choose the one you prefer. If you include a tang, you also will want to make sure you leave swimming room and do not overfill the tank with aquascape rocks and corals.

Good to know. I'd pretty much eliminated it from consideration based on the tank size.

I built a negative space scape, but am still trying to decide if I went overboard. Honestly, I feel like I could upgrade to a 120 and keep the same rocks, only a little further apart. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20201130_032149007.jpg
    PXL_20201130_032149007.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 40

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I'd pretty much eliminated it from consideration based on the tank size.

I built a negative space scape, but am still trying to decide if I went overboard. Honestly, I feel like I could upgrade to a 120 and keep the same rocks, only a little further apart. :)
That looks like a great aquascape for a 75-gallon with your stocking list! Do you plan to include a sump for additional bio-filtration in case there is not enough rock in the display tank?

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a great aquascape for a 75-gallon with your stocking list! Do you plan to include a sump for additional bio-filtration in case there is not enough rock in the display tank?

Thanks! I'm definitely interested in critters that will appreciate overhangs and hidey holes.

And yes, definitely on the sump! My brother is machining the baffles for my DIY setup - I have a 30g sump with two 4' filter socks, a skimmer, 5g refugium, bio-pellet reactor, and a couple of media baskets for whatever things I may need at any given time. If I can work out the plumbing, I'd also like to include a small mangrove lagoon next to the tank that will drain to the sump, as well.

If anything, I may have to reign myself in long enough to establish a good bacteria colony before I turn everything on...

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm definitely interested in critters that will appreciate overhangs and hidey holes.

And yes, definitely on the sump! My brother is machining the baffles for my DIY setup - I have a 30g sump with two 4' filter socks, a skimmer, 5g refugium, bio-pellet reactor, and a couple of media baskets for whatever things I may need at any given time. If I can work out the plumbing, I'd also like to include a small mangrove lagoon next to the tank that will drain to the sump, as well.

If anything, I may have to reign myself in long enough to establish a good bacteria colony before I turn everything on...
If you add that mangrove lagoon, your plan will be very similar to mine (though my plan is a 90-gallon reef, 75-gallon mangrove lagoon, and 75-gallon sump).

1606845828184.png

I have often heard that patience is a key of great importance in reefing, so it is recommendable that you keep yourself reigned in!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree a yellow tang would do ok in a 75. What about a leapord wrasse. Works as pest control earn his keep.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree a yellow tang would do ok in a 75. What about a leapord wrasse. Works as pest control earn his keep.
A yellow tang will work. The leopard wrasse though do need a established tank and will compete with a Firefish , any anthias, the 2 bangaiis, and any wrasse in the tank, which could result in it starving.

JAKos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but maybe look into flamehawks, they like to perch on rocks and corals so i bet they'd like that aqua scape.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back