75G tank - Middle Glass Bracing fell inside

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home to my 75G tank that's cycling to find a glass middle bracing fell inside. This is a Frankenstein setup from garage mats (previous builds! Spring Cleaning = new tankage!)

Its a glass tank w/ a rim. The bracing is a 3/4 in glass pane that was fixed on the underside of the rim w/ silicone. All of the panels are inside the rim. I question as to whether it was actually adding any structural support at all. I understand the structure support w/ those rimmed tanks and the brace is actually apart of the rim itself, but that isn't the case here.

Should I be concerned? Ticking Time bomb?

Should I try to put it back on?

Picture of the brace sitting on top of the rim for good order.

20180406_183508.jpg

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home to my 75G tank that's cycling to find a glass middle bracing fell inside. This is a Frankenstein setup from garage mats (previous builds! Spring Cleaning = new tankage!)

Its a glass tank w/ a rim. The bracing is a 3/4 in glass pane that was fixed on the underside of the rim w/ silicone. All of the panels are inside the rim. I question as to whether it was actually adding any structural support at all. I understand the structure support w/ those rimmed tanks and the brace is actually apart of the rim itself, but that isn't the case here.

Should I be concerned? Ticking Time bomb?

Should I try to put it back on?

Picture of the brace sitting on top of the rim for good order.

20180406_183508.jpg
Might not break in a month but anything longer then a day I would be freaking

OP
OP
Dancingmad

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not break in a month but anything longer then a day I would be freaking

Thanks for the reply - I'll probably err on the side of caution: Drain some water, clean the glass and rim, bead some silicone, and clamp that joker for 24hrs.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it may be an old oceanic tank. Cross brace is essential. Glass style braces actually work better than the cheap rim integrated ones.

OP
OP
Dancingmad

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass style braces actually work better than the cheap rim integrated ones.

No kidding? That's great to know! Thanks for the feedback. There's nothing going on in this tank so its really no big deal to reseal. Just got some week old SW and a rock in there.

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180 with a 2x2 ft glass brace. I woke up one morning with half of it in the tank. I tried fixing it but it never held and after a few days one of the seams started to give and leak. So took it down and gave it away.

OP
OP
Dancingmad

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180 with a 2x2 ft glass brace. I woke up one morning with half of it in the tank. I tried fixing it but it never held and after a few days one of the seams started to give and leak. So took it down and gave it away.

I appreciate you sharing your experience! I ordered (and recieved) some Dow Corning 795 structural silicone that I found recommended on other threads ("search" feature for the win!). Seems like most of the stuff available at HW stores is for aesthetics or for sealing bathroom/kitchen/etc.

I cleared the old silicone - its going to be glass on glass on rim contact. Two sets of clamps - one set holding the brace to the rim and another set applying exceptionally mild pressure between the two panes. I'll take the clamps off after a week and hope that'll do the trick.

To be safe I've even been considering doing a basin or paladarium type build where the tank is only half full of water.

If it doesn't do the trick, that is why I have about 50 towels, a wet/dry vac, and several box fans (Just in case!!!).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back