75G Tank/Stand, Sump, Overflow, Return Pump

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded to a 125 so selling my old 75 and a few things that I had with it.

Tank & Stand

Originally a standard Marineland 75 and stand I acquired from the previous owners. I reinforced and modified the stand with 2x4’s and 2x6’s, so it’s raised up 5.5” higher which is nice. Had new doors cut, new hinges and added a shelf on each side. Tank has its dings and scratches but was a leak free, healthy happy reef for nearly 2 years for me. Back has a multicolor deep reef type cove painted on it but could easily be scraped off. Has had a vinegar bath and scraped off as much coraline/calcium as I could to get it ready for the next owner.

$200

19eb80a867f31fc520ab9dfc476ba3cf.jpg

f78eaf0ef403d9221d757638e63b4ffb.jpg

46f47e0bfa9a02cd389c07d8fa96fd80.jpg

20G Long Sump (DIY)

I built this with a new 20G Long and glass baffles I got from a local supplier and 1 piece of acrylic. I cut the glass myself so craftsmanship isn’t perfect, but served me well for over a year. Good and used (as expected) but does its thing. Setup is Skimmer>Fuge>Output with an over, under, over bubble trap pre-fuge and over/under after fuge.

$45

c99079caaddefdb1899dda65de2fcca0.jpg

Eshopps PF-800 overflow

has a Hoffer “gurgle buster” standpipe (which you may want to change out based on your needs) and an extra U-tube should you want to pull more water. Good shape, a little algae but I gave it a vinegar soak and scrub. Has extension cemented with 1” threaded hose barb for silicone or braided vinyl tubing.

$35

b8bf9016f61ebc74fc1e960027b8aba2.jpg

0b00b993be8e5aa73e35617e2d7ee808.jpg

Jebao DCT-4000 Return Pump

Used for about a year and ran like a clock. Cleaned regularly but obviously does have some calcium deposits on the outside. Inherited a 12000 with the new tank so passing this along. Has what it came with and Box.

$40

62513bbcaaf0f196769667baa1079583.jpg

8b9110d88db614186488a44d81c3c423.jpg

Text me if you’re interested @ 216-310-5145

Thanks y’all!

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that overflow may be a good replacement for my CS90. Does it have anything to restart suction if there is a power loss?

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have to restart the suction unless air gets inside the u-tube. Which it rarely happens. The moment the return pump starts, it will restart the suction on it's own. At least that's what mine did before in the past.

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Mike said. I had it running for a time with two u-tubes and every once in a while there would be an air bubble, even then if it broke siphon the other tube would take in the extra water, but I can tell you that running it for 1.5 years I never once had it lose siphon, ever.

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run a Lifereef overflow box on my 75 gallon reef for almost 20 years and have never had a problem (other than dropping and cracking the u-tube while cleaning it).

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run a Lifereef overflow bix on my 75 gallon reef for almost 20 years and have never had a problem (other than dropping and cracking the u-tube while cleaning it).

This.

I feel the broken siphon on hang on overflows is much a-do about nothing. If your tank can accommodate your return section and your sump can accommodate the back siphon, it’s a moot point anyway, you only risk your pump running dry and a lot of them have dry run shut off.

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side related/unrelated note...I found a Tripp Light battery backup at Bargain Hunt about a year and a half ago for $90 that ran my powerheads, return pump and moonlight LEDS for over 2 hours in a power outage, i get about an hour and a half with the larger pump i have now but probably one of the best reef purchases I ever made, power glitches out here all the time and the tank just keeps on flowin’

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like what yall are saying is I should buy this overflow. Especially after almost cracking mineol

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know it doesn't have the loud noise like what yours is making. But it's been a long time ago.

Daniel, it doesn't have loud noise on it right?

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it’s a hang on overflow, they’re all louder to some degree, but I had it tuned to be pretty quiet. I assume you mean like the slurping/gurgling sounds?

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's what I mean. I don't remember it being loud what so ever.

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a dual full siphon system now which is truely silent, but that’s not a fair comparison

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a dual full siphon system now which is truely silent, but that’s not a fair comparison

Mine is relatively quiet now but that's because it's all the way to the top of the standpipe I made. If I try and lower that level at all it gets loud. Plus the whole i may have made a slight crack in it thing lol.

My sump is set up right now with regular 1" PVC, would I need to do anything special to use this overflow?

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is relatively quiet now but that's because it's all the way to the top of the standpipe I made. If I try and lower that level at all it gets loud. Plus the whole i may have made a slight crack in it thing lol.

My sump is set up right now with regular 1" PVC, would I need to do anything special to use this overflow?

I had this running with braided vinyl tubing. I personally wouldn’t run a hang on overflow hard plumbed with PVC. To your initial point, I played with several standpipe heights and the lower ones will make it louder but that’s the nature of hang on overflows. The height of the Internal box/weirs, the rate of your return pump, orientation of the line into the sump and the standpipe itself all come Into play with the noise so it’s not just as simple as one thing, it’s a combination of those and is specific to everyone’s individual setup.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this running with braided vinyl tubing. I personally wouldn’t run a hang on overflow hard plumbed with PVC. To your initial point, I played with several standpipe heights and the lower ones will make it louder but that’s the nature of hang on overflows. The height of the Internal box/weirs, the rate of your return pump, orientation of the line into the sump and the standpipe itself all come Into play with the noise so it’s not just as simple as one thing, it’s a combination of those and is specific to everyone’s individual setup.

Changing our whole setups plumbing isnt in the cards right now but I hope to eventually do flex pvc.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you still have the overflow box for sale?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back