8.0 Ammonia for almost two months

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What makes you think the 8ppm is accurate? If something gives you a false positive it doesn't mean it's correct for the amount of whatever gave you a false positive. Seachem have stated that their tests aren't compatible with several products, like amquel +. Just using prime as an example, it doesn't treat the full EPA allowed amount of chloramine, and it's why the instructions let you know that you can double the dose if needed. Chlorine would be gone from the water within a few days at most, chloramine can take over 90 days. You can't just come up with numbers to use based on a test that is not accurate, or an estimated amount of water treatment chemicals.
So there is a 'quote' or 'reply' function here - so its difficult to see to whom you'e referring. That said. first - chloramine would not take 90 days. But its definitely longer based on the literature. Additionally the question has been asked already - ie - did he use one of those products. And - lastly - based on what I understand - he re-did the tank with RODI water - and NSW... so where are we?

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is a 'quote' or 'reply' function here - so its difficult to see to whom you'e referring. That said. first - chloramine would not take 90 days. But its definitely longer based on the literature. Additionally the question has been asked already - ie - did he use one of those products. And - lastly - based on what I understand - he re-did the tank with RODI water - and NSW... so where are we?
Sorry about that, it was in multi quote and I didn't select the quote. I believe he said he was using tap water and a conditioner, and that he was doing that for a while before he was convinced to use RODI. He's getting the same test results now as he was then, and the only thing he had in that water that he has in his new water is the rock and some bio filter. He needs to properly test his water based on what he used to condition that old water that the rock was in. Or he can wait it out, but he should still be aware for future references that not all tests are compatible with all products, and that what he used is actually important. It's also important to know how much chlorine and chloramines are in your water so that you're properly conditioning the water, whether for normal or emergency use.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about that, it was in multi quote and I didn't select the quote. I believe he said he was using tap water and a conditioner, and that he was doing that for a while before he was convinced to use RODI. He's getting the same test results now as he was then, and the only thing he had in that water that he has in his new water is the rock and some bio filter. He needs to properly test his water based on what he used to condition that old water that the rock was in. Or he can wait it out, but he should still be aware for future references that not all tests are compatible with all products, and that what he used is actually important. It's also important to know how much chlorine and chloramines are in your water so that you're properly conditioning the water, whether for normal or emergency use.
@Vic73 is not the best answerer:)

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did research, performed what was asked and read everything including this not helpful post.
I really wasnt trying to offend. Just making a light hearted comment about the irony of my own crappy luck with getting help. Sorry, I know how frustrating this hobby is, didnt mean to make it worse for you. I've banged my head against the wall too.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Showing how long this goes back, how common, how even today everyone cannot make up their mind if cycles can stick, if api is accurate or not, and thousands of dollars of bottle bac are sold as we decide

relevance is nobody left agreeing here but something certainly was the truth for this tank, thats not been found after two years and ten pages essentially the hobby made no progress

Inherent Nh3 control or variance post-cycle is the most pressing issue in reef tank hobby, actually. nobody will write an article or book entry about the condition, left open ended, so it’s fascinating.

we can take a sick dog with kidney symptoms to any vet, any country-get the same diagnosis. they use objective evals

but not with a reef tank, even with vets as the actual analysts.

no four veterinarians agree on a given ammonia case for a running reef tank, fascinating.

Is vics tank alive w fish

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Showing how long this goes back, how common, how even today everyone cannot make up their mind if cycles can stick, if api is accurate or not, and thousands of dollars of bottle bac are sold as we decide

relevance is nobody left agreeing here but something certainly was the truth for this tank, thats not been found after two years and ten pages essentially the hobby made no progress

Inherent Nh3 control or variance post-cycle is the most pressing issue in reef tank hobby, actually. nobody will write an article or book entry about the condition, left open ended, so it’s fascinating.

we can take a sick dog with kidney symptoms to any vet, any country-get the same diagnosis. they use objective evals

but not with a reef tank, even with vets as the actual analysts.

no four veterinarians agree on a given ammonia case for a running reef tank, fascinating.

Is vics tank alive w fish
What is the disagreement? I dont get it? The guy said his tank cycled - which is what everyone said. I agree with you - the ammonia of 8 was probably an error. Why did you bump it - and then write that its still an issue.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this wasn't the ideal thread for the point made on the other thread. In cursory thread title search it looked fitting, allow a brother the occasional mis zombification of thread

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In searching for false 8 ppm cycle stuck threads clicking back to pics on page one was like oh.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, you and I just disagree on most cycle calls and this is the gradient needing worked to get change. simple wrong thread bump, but not too wrong.

you, I and MN would have never ever agreed when this reef did resolve its ammonia.

that means there's miles left to travel.

Not agreeing on very basic cycle calls such as does a 2 yr reef suddenly lose its inherent nh3 control ability means we haven't progressed at all, those posts get wildly varying assessments.

agreed, however, this wasn't a fantastic example of most streamline cycle challenge-the title was the appeal. thanks for the reminder. the other four "8 pppm" posts are also not stuck, this was a little different than those admitted.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you, I and MN would have never ever agreed when this reef did resolve its ammonia.
Im probably dense - I dont understand what you were trying to say. So - I dont know why we wouldn't agree?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even in this very atypical start, it was my guess no three people assessing when the 8 ppm really did go down would agree. Id be for a much quicker time than the rest, it seems off prior posts. the anti stalled guy, default mode in every case...I simply thought this was another typical fritz + dr tims bac + biospira already cycled long ago 8 ppm stuck thread in searching titles to help another poster see they weren't stuck.

they used 400 dollars of skip cycle live rock from Petco, I really wanted to show them they were not stuck, that's all. it turns out this rock here was certainly not coralline rock from Petco...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
even in this very atypical start, it was my guess no three people assessing when the 8 ppm really did go down would agree. Id be for a much quicker time than the rest, it seems off prior posts. the anti stalled guy, default mode in every case...I simply thought this was another typical fritz + dr tims bac + biospira already cycled long ago 8 ppm stuck thread in searching titles to help another poster see they weren't stuck.

they used 400 dollars of skip cycle live rock from Petco, I really wanted to show them they were not stuck, that's all. it turns out this rock here was certainly not coralline rock from Petco...
IMHO - I dont think nearly as many people disagree with your ideas than you think - But - you like to guess - that people are - could I humbly suggest that you start a poll or 2 - with the points you're trying to make - then ask for comments? It would be an interesting discussion - and would get things in 'one place' not 20 threads?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back