8' Tall x 10" tube custom Dual Mazzi Venturi Skimmer

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8' Tall x 10" tube custom Dual Mazzi Venturi Skimmer. Its a combination design from many skimmers I have owned in my 40+ years of reefing.
Its dry fit cut and ready to glue. Will push the dual Mazzi's with a 6000gph pump. Adding dual Dwyer air flow meters, only 1 here now.

Had to go back to Venturi, sorry dual beckett.
IMG_4209.JPEG

IMG_4210.JPEG

IMG_4211.JPEG

IMG_4212.JPEG

IMG_4214.JPEG

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's literally the same design concept as a lifereef. Maybe over your 40 years of reefing you've seen one somewhere before.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a 6000 GPH pump, even with back pressure and stuff, drain out of a single 1.5" line?

What does the cup look like? I am just curious. Are you going to hook the venturis up to the cup?

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a 6000 GPH pump, even with back pressure and stuff, drain out of a single 1.5" line?

What does the cup look like? I am just curious. Are you going to hook the venturis up to the cup?
I put a 2" drain line on it, vented it Like an RK2 design. I'm going back to double check the Pump gallon per hour.
The Pump is the Reeflo Hammerhead, 6000 gph at zero head pressure. the dual venturi's probably calculate to at least 16' - 20' of head pressure so the actual flow rate is probably between 3000-and 4000 gph.

The Skimmer cup is from my Precision Marine Dual Becket skimmer - Just repurposed it on top the 8' RK2 Fluidized Bed tube.

Curious of hooking the venturis to the skimmer cup. Not sure what that would do.
The Venturis have the Air Flow meters on them more like the Rk2 PE50 design.

I had and RK2 PE300 and most of my thoughts on this came from that monster, just scaling it down to a more suitable size for my reef , you can't see the inside of the RK2's because they dont use acrylic tubes, but this is how they are designed inside. Drain system is 100% like the Rk2's

Dual Becket.jpg

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the photo of the LifeReef above. The air comes out of the cup just above the top water line. If the skimmer goes nuts, then bubbles end up down the air lines and the skimmer slow output.

In all of the LifeReefs, this does not restrict or alter anything that I can notice.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing different in my system is adding the Dual Mazzi Custom skimmer, and removing the Precision Marine Dual Beckett Skimmer. No dosing has changed, no lighting, nothing at all.
Air exchange inside the skimmer has a true 100% effect on pH.
Ever since I took off the RK300PE RK2 Massive commercial
skimmer, my pH has been a battle.
Battle over, Mazzi Venturi skimmer wins the battle !!!

Before.......

IMG_4390.PNG

After adding the new custom Dual Mazzi Skimmer

IMG_4389.PNG

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is rare to see a tank without efficient gas exchange with any skimmer. Usually you see pH bump like that when fresh air is introduced into the fish room. I guess that this is a good lesson that some tanks just do need more gas exchange.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is rare to see a tank without efficient gas exchange with any skimmer. Usually you see pH bump like that when fresh air is introduced into the fish room. I guess that this is a good lesson that some tanks just do need more gas exchange.
@jda I expected this after deleting the insane oversized skimmer
I was sure the dual Mazzi injectors were going to have the same outcome on pH

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Nevermind. You were without a skimmer. My bad. Yes, this is why I recommend that folks use skimmers even if they don't want them to remove much DOCs. My bad.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back