80/20 fixture help!!!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning @galantra, coffees kicking in so let's discuss if you would like to be able to swing these lights out of the way for maintenance. Here's one possibility with making them able to swing side to side.
Swing Arm.jpg

Swing arm with cable and turnbuckle.jpg

Using the hinge will give it more deflection so the addition of the cable and turnbuckle will eliminate that problem. Then the only deflection will be from the vertical legs which won't be much.

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea actually didn’t even take that into account. But really thinking about it swinging might not help me because of the location of where it will be placed but great idea and it will be a concern

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to the rigid mount then. How about mounting the lights on sliders to be able to slide them up and down the rail?

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I like that let’s roll with that cause removing will be important great thinking

So piecing it out with all the hinges and other extra pieces 8020.net would be the best place?

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to compare prices on similar items between a few sites (I.E., 8020, T-Nutz, Faztek, and there are a few others) , then decide who you want to go with. (It's the bracket that will run up the cost so pay special attention to those prices.) Then I could look at their site and help you out with a parts list. ;Greedy

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This model makes me a little nervous. Will say upfront I didn't read all of your design requirements due to length of the first page - and can't really tell what aluminum profile you are using from the picture. But it probably could use some stiffeners or gussets at least.

Not sure what your deflection math looks like but I can't imagine it looks good if you model falling while you're holding on it. Or something like that. It will likely rack and the cantilever will have serious deflection

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a particular bracket I should choose more. I been actually looking at the site and whoa it’s overwhelming Even what fasteners

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This model makes me a little nervous. Will say upfront I didn't read all of your design requirements due to length of the first page - and can't really tell what aluminum profile you are using from the picture. But it probably could use some stiffeners or gussets at least.

Not sure what your deflection math looks like but I can't imagine it looks good if you model falling while you're holding on it. Or something like that. It will likely rack and the cantilever will have serious deflection
Prelininary deflection calculations (since this is not a finalized revision yet, it is just an approximation).
Vertical beam deflection, end load,
Load Deflection vertical beam fulcrum point to attached horizontal beam.jpg

Horizontal beam deflection, load evenly distributed,
Load Deflection horizontal beam to outer light.jpg

Inputted into model,
Load deflection overview double lap.jpg

Vertical beam deflection.jpg

Vertical beam deflection plus horizontal beam deflection.jpg

So we end up with an approximate calculated "sag" deflection of .1271" at the end of the horizontal beam. The reality is it most likely will be a bit more, but still, is it really going to be noticable when viewing from a few feet away?
You are definitely right about "falling while you're holding on it." I didn't take that into consideration.;Hilarious;) (Sorry if this seems to have taken the wrong tone. I really am smiling throughout this.:D I don't mind anyone questioning it, in fact I encourage it. I'd love to see other ideas too.)

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no wrong tone. Static deflection with some small lights isn't really much to worry about. And 1515 profile is much stiffer than the 1010 profile - also more costly.

Just pointing out the structure is likely to have a much larger deflection with something unexpected like slipping during water change or whatever when you're moving the lights out of the way. Unlikely but that happens and the person is going to reach out to support themselves. The supports are joined so that they limit deflection in one direction. It is certainly the minimal design and not a bad design if you're not worried about it - some people are clumsier than others although accidents happen and I've had soaked carpet before :) If that happened here the point of contact is a long ways away from the stand attachment. Visually I would expect it to make contact with the glass on the uprights when it twists down and towards the person.

I didn't realize it was a 4' tank - hence me mentioning I did not grok all of the details :) that was late last night.

The simplest solution is to support the hanger on both ends instead of cantilever.

If it was me and that was not an option I would go with something more shaped like your design that extends from the top. And I would brace for x/y strength. And cover it with a canopy.

The other solutions would required a different "look" to the shape. Go with what makes you happy :)

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as one who always uses open top canopies, I agree with you. My tank sits right next to the TV and I hate being blinded by the light spill. But to each their own and OP wanted a floating fixture, so..... it's cool! ;)

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see exactly what you mean, and yes I am looking for more of a open look hence why I been sold on this. Like open look plus I have a upstairs loft in that room that peers down to the room and tank that I find very nice look.

But this is the fixture I need. Since my Ceiling is way too high in that room I think that will work great for me. So now I need to piece it all out so I can order everything and get this started I’m so excited

Back