80/20 T-Slot Aluminum Stand - Vendor Recommendations

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to go with 80/20 T-Slot Aluminum for my 120 gallon tank stand.
I've browsed the internet and found a W-I-D-E range of prices, so I thought I would reach out to the members here who've actually had stands made by various Vendors.
*** Please share any 80/20 Vendors that have provided you with a good quality product, great customer service, and a price that was reasonable ***

Thanks !

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to go with 80/20 T-Slot Aluminum for my 120 gallon tank stand.
I've browsed the internet and found a W-I-D-E range of prices, so I thought I would reach out to the members here who've actually had stands made by various Vendors.
*** Please share any 80/20 Vendors that have provided you with a good quality product, great customer service, and a price that was reasonable ***

Thanks !
I believe user @neverdie made a stand out of 80/20 perhaps he can give some insight :)

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a rack to hang my lights(still renting a place unfortunately) out of 8020, after searching for the best price and lowest shipping I chose tnutz.com. Can't speak to their customer service as I didnt have any issues. Powder coating was flawless and packaging was legit. I've also purchased parts from openbuilds.com for a diy camera slider and was very pleased with the results.

B-SMOOTH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second tnutz.com as well. I used them to build a light rack for my ATI fixture.

No issues.

KIRBLIT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a light rack for a 300gal out of 8020 as well. I got the rail from 8020 but all the hardware and stainless fasteners from Tnutz though, waaaay cheaper this way. The t-slot is the cheapest part for sure.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks !
I order all my T-slot stuff from Misumi. Much cheaper with more options for sizing/assembly. Pricing for 80/20 is extremely high when compared to other manufacturers of t-slot components.

KIRBLIT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can any of you guys post pics of your light racks ? Thanks!
It's not 100% complete with all the lights yet; will have 4 Halide pendants, 3 sets of t5's, and 2 led strips and ballasts will be on the board above the unistrut. It's for an 8' tank and is suspended on Rollers to the ceiling so I can move it. It's all aluminum or 316 stainless for everything.
e3304096c8fe3bf4d36bd6f90d9bf4a6.jpg
0b13519478e3408291f4439d1f694635.jpg
02f08b6eff415eec7789c47597f19a55.jpg

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Patrick Ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are a 80/20 distributor based in San Diego that offers discounts, free CAD layout and direct shipping to you from the Indiana factory. US-extruded quality at only slightly higher price than asian imports. Let us help you create that custom stand specifically for your aquarium and setup. www.fandl8020.com
Black Stand.jpg

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my build for pictures of my stand built from 8020 t-slot.

Inside Sales at 8020 in Indiana directed me to a local distributor whom they knew was experienced with aquarium stands and was responsive to customers (primeresourcenow.com). 8020 and Prime Resource tweaked my design to support the weight. They also tweaked it so that I could have flush mounted panels and doors. Prime Resource was efficient and responsive including breaking up the extrusion shipment into smaller more manageable packages that shipped UPS. Later, when I had some questions about hardware for some tweaks I wanted (after the stand was assembled), 8020 Inside Sales answered my questions and pointed me to various sections of their catalog for other bits I might find useful. HTH.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for better ideas to use magnets to hold doors/ wooden framed panels inset between ends

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for better ideas to use magnets to hold doors/ wooden framed panels inset between ends

I am assuming by inset, you mean you do not want doors/panels mounted on the outside of the extrusions. I wanted my side and back panels to be removable and flush mounted. I have magnets mounted inset so that the panels mount flush. You can't mount doors or panels flush if you use gussets.

Here is picture of the side and back showing the flush mounted panels.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trimmed the corner off so it can sit ontop of gusset but cant figure where to attach a bracket or magnet. Right noe the panel (1 1/4" thick) stick out 3/4" from frame. Ai first was going to have a 3D look but now not sure. Doors will be flush for hinge. Your panels are 1/2" thick, correct?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done anything with 80/20 yet myself. I recently heard someone discussing these guys. Not sure if pricing is competitive to what you get eslewhere but figured its at least another option for you to look into.

https://www.framingtech.com/solutions/aquarium-stands/

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 8020.net for my light rack. I kept the longest profile at 48" since shipping increases after the 48" mark. I think the easiest thing to do when it comes to 8020 is pick your profile, this makes sorting the fasteners much much easier. I really like the 8020.net site because they have tabs at the bottom of each fastener and suggest the hardware for you VS you having to search for it. I've not used any other websites for 8020 so they may make it easier or do the same!

I am a huge fan of the 8020 stands. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done anything with 80/20 yet myself. I recently heard someone discussing these guys. Not sure if pricing is competitive to what you get eslewhere but figured its at least another option for you to look into.

https://www.framingtech.com/solutions/aquarium-stands/

+1

I've been working with Anthony @ Framing Tech. Great support and he's been very patience as I worked out the design. Highly recommended

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back