80 Gallon Bedroom Build

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nichole (Sass) and I have been wanting a tank in the bedroom for while and when FFM came around last year and our plans to get a frag tank fell through we decided no time like the present and purchased a Deep Blue 80 gallon rimless. It served its purpose for FFM and has done a fantastic job collecting dust until now. We are no where near ready for water, but progress has been made. We both agreed we wanted a furniture quality stand to go along with what will be a beautiful reef tank and seeing as I have zero woodworking skills we enlisted the help of Jeff Trumptitan. It was great working with someone who not only had the skills but also was in the hobby...he was able to suggest things that neither of us even considered.

As for equipment:
Lighting: 8 bulb T5 Tek light with 2 48" rapid led strips
Skimmer: SRO 1000sss
Return: TBD
Sump:TBD
Doser: Pac Sun Kore 5th Pro (planned)
Substrate: Tropic Eden Reef Flake (planned)
Powerhead: Gyre 130 (Planned)

HtfdWhaler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. If you don't already have the reef flakes. I waited months for premium aquatics to restock them. It looks like they are the only company that still carries it. I got an email this week that they finally got it in after waiting so long, 40k lbs of it and they expect it to go fast.

I ordered 2 30lbs bags of reefflakes and 1 miniflakes for my build.

Again good luck!

OP
OP
captc07

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments. Glad to see I had company stalking the Premium Aquatics website waiting for the reef flake to be in stock! I am still on the fence if I want to do all reefflake or mix in a bag of miniflake. Will be making that call before I order this week.

Trumptitan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is LG product same thing as Corian without the dupont price tag.

Looking good guys now to get water in it fresh water just a couple mollies andyou are good to go

OP
OP
captc07

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report back on the build. We are spending most of our energy getting everything ready for FFM. The skimmer and substrate are both on the way, so we did make some progress. Hoping to pick up a few more pieces soon.

OP
OP
captc07

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would follow up with a few pics.

Skimmer. Have the same model on our 80 gallon frag tank, love the job it does.

Tropic Eden Reeflake. I have been wanting to use this substrate for awhile. Was on the fence between doing a mixture of reeflake and mini flake. Decided to do all Reeflake, now that I see it in person I am glad I did. Going to see how 3 bags looks in the tank, would like the ability to keep a wrasse, so if it isn't deep enough I might have to construct a deeper section.

Also doing a bit of work on a permanent QT. That is something I have wanted to do for a while.

Last edited:

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are currently deciding on a sump. Originally we were thinking of using a 40b, and we may still do that..however, we are looking at having a custom sump built. Weighing our options.

No major update as we've both been busy at work and focusing all of our spare time getting ready for FFM.

We do plan on picking up a few nice pieces at FFM to grow out in our new build!! :-D

OP
OP
captc07

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Sass typing for Capt.

So we've had some hiccups along the way setting this up after we moved (last July), but here we are. No longer holding frags. Actually rock scaped with sand.
It's lovely to look up and not see eggcrate!!

Capt did a wonderful job putting together the rock scape using CaribSea Life Rock and Emarco 400.

The tank is still a little cloudy, but here are some teaser shots.

Equipment Updated list:

Lighting: 8 bulb T5 Tek light with 2 48" rapid led strips
Skimmer: SRO 1000sss
Return: Eheim 1260
Sump: Created by CustomKing.. created after the Trigger Ruby 30, but modified filter sock area
Doser: none as of yet..still deciding
Substrate: Tropic Eden Reef Flake
Powerhead: Gyre 130 & MP10

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, love the rockscape and let me know about the reef flakes, I am debating between them and the mesoflakes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back