8020 Stand Help for 240 Gallon 96*24*36

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty much decided to go with 8020 for my stand build and have put together the basics of it but I am not sure if I need gussets or if the counter bore will suffice.

I have made 3 designs using some software I found online that depicts what I had in mind 3 different ways. I am looking for anyone's experience or what you would do different as well as if my design would even work.

The top of the frame will be 1530 (or 4080) and the 4 corner legs will be the same profile as well as the center legs, and cross members that sit under the tank supporting the bottom. The bottom of the frame and 4 mid position legs will be 1515 (or 4040).

Anyway, here is the pics of the designs.

The first pic is the stand with no gussets and connected with the counter bore, legs go all the way to the floor with adjustable feet Stand with feet.jpg

The second pic is a stand with no adjustable feet resting on a full bottom frame and loaded with gussets and connected with counter bores.
Stand loaded gussets.jpg
The third pic is the same as the second but with a few gussets removed but still connected with counter bores.
Stand less gussets.jpg
The fourth pic is the stand with no gussets and no feet just counter bore connections. I would of course run the bottom frame under the legs rather than having these legs straight to the floor.
Stand no gussets no feet.jpg
The folks at 8020 told me I could connect everything with either a counter bore or a gusset but did not need both.

OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so a local shop has taken a look at the stand and provided both their take on the design and the build list. This stuff is not cheap by any means. I wouldn't go cheap on a large tank build anyway. Now to decide steel or aluminum.

I did get a powder coat quote for 150 bucks so that's not terrible.

2020-12-09 (2).png
2020-12-09 (5).png

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok, so a local shop has taken a look at the stand and provided both their take on the design and the build list. This stuff is not cheap by any means. I wouldn't go cheap on a large tank build anyway. Now to decide steel or aluminum.

I did get a powder coat quote for 150 bucks so that's not terrible.

2020-12-09 (2).png
2020-12-09 (5).png

Reach out to Anthony at Framing Tech. Get a quote to compare. My stand from them was build using stronger profiles than what you're quoted above. I have 45x45 and 45x90mm posts - all connected with quick connect, no unsightly gussets.

Hope this helps.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't mention the size of your aquarium. In gallons. Maybe I missed it. To start with, I would suggest adjustable legs as for the connectors, depending on the gallons, inside connectors are the way to go. If you are putting a large aquarium on it, 600 gallons or so, then gussets. Shear load is what would be a concern with bigger aquariums.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't mention the size of your aquarium. In gallons. Maybe I missed it. To start with, I would suggest adjustable legs as for the connectors, depending on the gallons, inside connectors are the way to go. If you are putting a large aquarium on it, 600 gallons or so, then gussets. Shear load is what would be a concern with bigger aquariums.
240 gallons. In the title. inside connectors are all you will need

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back