OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am going to be taking my chaeto out as I am going to start dosing additional Vibrant to curtail the growth of this unwanted Sea Lettuce (Ulva algae) and some real tiny bubble algae before it goes crazy.
How long can this Chaeto live in a bucket of saltwater without any heat or filtration? I would take it to my LFS (1.5 hours away) and have them hold it in their chaeto system but not sure if it would be help or just sold.:(

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral is doing wonderful but still having a REALLY REALLY REALLY hard time keeping this sea lettuce under control!!!!!!!!!!
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190512140503111_COVER.jpg
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190512140541455_COVER.jpg

AND a new surprise is what looks like the start of some really tiny bubble algae :(
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190512140512403_COVER.jpg

My parameters as of 2:25 pm 5/12
Ph=8.07
alk=8.7-8.8 tested same time everyday
No3=0 (I have finally removed all my chaeto as to get some to show up and still zero)
Po4=0.03-0.035(yes this is a little high but if I use any gfc then I am at zero)

Calcium=440
Mag=1275

I have some options:
1.Start a double dose regiment of Vibrant and suffer the consequences of red slime :(
2.Get a pincushion or tuxedo urchin and worry about him knocking all my coral over. I would have to take my rock out and glue all my frags in place :(
3.Get a small Rabbitfish and be prepared to remove him when he gets big
https://fishybusinessaquatics.com/wysiwyg/nano-size-golden-rabbitfish/

I am at my wits end because the tank is doing so well and stable but this Sea Lettuce is NUTS!!!!

Anyone's help would be recommended

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can't find a one spot rabbitfish so I think next best thing is to get a captive bred yellow tang.
I ordered some new salt to try today and we will see how it does:
https://quantumusa.us/product/mixed-macro-probiotic-salt/
I would love to have a real LFS near me and be able to get good stuff I need for the reef. Those of you who do I am jealous :p

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed and order today from the good guys at Reef Cleaners for 2 emerald crabs to help with some of the bubble algae.
They ship them 2-3day priority mail which seems odd but many people order from them so we will see how well they come in.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed and order today from the good guys at Reef Cleaners for 2 emerald crabs to help with some of the bubble algae.
They ship them 2-3day priority mail which seems odd but many people order from them so we will see how well they come in.
I’ve ordered from them more than 10 times and have always been pleased. Except for the Florida Ceriths, for some reason they just don’t survive but everything else does.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered from them more than 10 times and have always been pleased. Except for the Florida Ceriths, for some reason they just don’t survive but everything else does.
Awesome that is great to hear as I have the real tiny bubble algae starting everywhere :(

Nice setup!
Thank you so much!!

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the Vibrant thread could care less about answering questions so I dosed it anyway and will do so again this week,
so 2 times a week until the bubble algae is gone or my tank explodes :p
I have 2 emerald crabs coming from Reef Cleaner but they were shipped priority mail and they are due in Friday so I doubt they will arrive alive. :(
No3 = 0 (this my main concern so I ordered some ME coral Nitrate to bring it up)
Po4 = .5(this is crazy high so I will monitor this while dosing vibrant and run RowaPhos if I need to)
The coral is amazing but just the unsightly little bubble algae and some more ulva everywhere.
I WILL BEAT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back