~8ft build ( Sydney, AUS )

eVANS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys :)

Here's a project I've been working on recently! Honestly it's turned out better than I anticipated. One of the main objectives was to have a large proportion of the rocks suspended off the sand. The way I was able to achieve this was by bending black perspex into square C shapes allowing for rocks to be placed on top of the stands. I will elaborate and take some photos of the C stands in future posts. Following that is an issue that has always been critical for me in any tank, the sound; namely speaking the constant gurgling of the water going from the overflow into the sump. I wanted silent, dead silent... It was especially important for me this time as the tank would be a main feature in the living space. I achieved this by employing the herbie bean animal overflow system. If you don't know what it is just do a quick google search. I don't think I would ever plumb a tank again that doesn't utilise this.

Now to the plumbing... A significant portion of time was spent making sure that each pipe was cut and glued in a way that made the final look extremely clean and neat. I used a combination of black irrigation fittings which screw into each other and standard white pvc pressure piping. Initially I was planning to plumb the whole tank in the black irrigation fittings and pipe for the cleanest look. However after doing some research I realised the black irrigation fittings didn't come with 1"1/4 black piping. In the end the white, black and blue colour scheme worked pretty well, especially with the new Ecotech Vectra pump which sports the same colours. Oh and yes... unions... unions galore. Happy to answer any other of your questions regarding the plumbing :)

2400 x 700 x 600
~8ft x 28" x 24"
1008 L / 265 Gal
Skimmer: Royal Exclusive 250 w/ RD3 Speedy
Biopellet reactor: Reef Octopus Bio Churn 150 EXT
Rock: Real Reef Rock​

562A7913.jpg

562A7911.jpg
562A7902.jpg
562A7897.jpg
562A7906.jpg
562A7900.jpg
562A7899.jpg

562A7915.jpg

Happy Reefing :D

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's a tank. Everything looks great from the rockscape to the plumbing. When does the water go in?

Aussie paul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how pipe work should be nice and clean and the Aqua scape looks great love the floating effect nice job can't wait to see more

OP
OP
eVANS

eVANS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's a tank. Everything looks great from the rockscape to the plumbing. When does the water go in?
Its currently going in :) The RO unit is taking awhile because the tank is massive and the weather is on the colder side.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Already awesome!

pitbull_13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do one that big,unfortunately neither would my 3rd floor apartment or my wallet be happy.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
THAT! IS! AWESOME! Following!

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions and scape look awesome. A couple points to mention though, I hope you are in an earthquake free zone as that stand looks to have nothing to prevent lateral movement. It could collapse with enough side-to-side motion. Easy to fix with a couple diagonal supports though. Also you may have issues with the horizontal runs on the siphon overflow plumbing. My understanding is horizontal runs can trap air and make the siphon much harder to restart.

Great attention to detail though in the build. Looks beautiful already!

OP
OP
eVANS

eVANS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions and scape look awesome. A couple points to mention though, I hope you are in an earthquake free zone as that stand looks to have nothing to prevent lateral movement. It could collapse with enough side-to-side motion. Easy to fix with a couple diagonal supports though. Also you may have issues with the horizontal runs on the siphon overflow plumbing. My understanding is horizontal runs can trap air and make the siphon much harder to restart.

Great attention to detail though in the build. Looks beautiful already!
thank you for your kind words of advice :)
I will definitely be looking into adding the diagonal supports.
Quite interested to see about the horizontal runs when all the waters in there. Luckily I added the ability to lower the fall on the pipes. phew....

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks Great and has made it to a Facebook posting already for R2R well done. Would love to know more about the floating rock work... I have an almost new build 4x2x2 and would love a floating island... Following with interest :)

What are your lighting options going to be??

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive. Are you going to have a controller for the whole system?

The mention above about shear strength is an important one. Even without an earthquake 2000 lbs of tank and water is just looking for an excuse to collapse a stand.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! What lighting are you going to be having over the tank? Proven T5 or MH, or pure LED's perhaps?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back