90-110 gallon scape - what are you proud of?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not happy with my 90g. Next time will be more smaller rocks and caves rather than larger rocks. Also never using dry rock again.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my current scape....first time using Marco and cement. Absolutely love using dry rock.....tank is going on 14 months old with zero issues. Each island can be moved to accommodate growing coral. Also each outside island is hollow to allow fish hiding spots. Sorry about the blue pic but it is the only one I have with me.

scape1.JPG

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the obelisk and rock wall I built with real reef rock and shelf rock using the emarco mortar. This is my 90gal 4’ wide tank. I haven’t seen anything like this before and wasn’t going for a “natural” look in my artificial reef. :)

OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like my current scape....first time using Marco and cement. Absolutely love using dry rock.....tank is going on 14 months old with zero issues. Each island can be moved to accommodate growing coral. Also each outside island is hollow to allow fish hiding spots. Sorry about the blue pic but it is the only one I have with me.

scape1.JPG
Looks great! Love the separation between each section. Definitely something long term that'll help anything encrusting, GSP, etc

OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like the obelisk and rock wall I built with real reef rock and shelf rock using the emarco mortar. This is my 90gal 4’ wide tank. I haven’t seen anything like this before and wasn’t going for a “natural” look in my artificial reef. :)

Love the shelves! Tons of rock. SPS might fill that guy quickly! Great job

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the shelves! Tons of rock. SPS might fill that guy quickly! Great job
Thanks! I’m still trying to figure out what kind of corals I’m going for. A mixed reef would be awesome but not sure if I can pull it off with my limited experience.

Do you have ideas or sketches of what you’re thinking of doing?

OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I’m still trying to figure out what kind of corals I’m going for. A mixed reef would be awesome but not sure if I can pull it off with my limited experience.

Do you have ideas or sketches of what you’re thinking of doing?
I’m doubling my current tank (pic below) size so I’ll probably keep these rocks as is then need to research another section… less sand touching and more sprawling sideways maybe

Attachments

• F999A051-76E8-4101-9869-C27FF5A99EDA.jpeg
    F999A051-76E8-4101-9869-C27FF5A99EDA.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 28

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doubling my current tank (pic below) size so I’ll probably keep these rocks as is then need to research another section… less sand touching and more sprawling sideways maybe
Sounds like you got a good plan!

You inspired me to re-scape the right half as the tank is currently in fallow/cycling. I wasn’t really happy with the right as the rocks were just piled up. So I decided to get more creative. The water has a tint due to treating it with Rally Pro as I had some clowns that didn’t look good and eventually died. I’m still trying to figure that one out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like you got a good plan!

You inspired me to re-scape the right half as the tank is currently in fallow/cycling. I wasn’t really happy with the right as the rocks were just piled up. So I decided to get more creative. The water has a tint due to treating it with Rally Pro as I had some clowns that didn’t look good and eventually died. I’m still trying to figure that one out.

I really dig the combo of shelves and arches! May steal some of that :). What lighting do you use under the cabinet? I like it.

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dig the combo of shelves and arches! May steal some of that :). What lighting do you use under the cabinet? I like it.
Thanks! It's taken some planning, building, breaking down and rebuilding. I used BRS Extra Thick Super Glue and Insta-Set just to get the structure shapes. Then applied Pink Mortar for the structural integrity forming bases around contact points. After that, I super glued rocks over the mortar to cover it up (even the pink looks ugly) and filled the unseen gaps in the back of the "cosmetic" rocks with more mortar. It was actually a lot of fun and made me feel creative :)

I've got a simple waterproof LED strip off of Amazon LED STRIP LINK. It's wired to a unique Crestron controller that leverages my Crestron control system. There's probably a ton of LED controllers on amazon. You just want to make sure you can control all 4 channels, red, green, blue, and white if you're looking for that.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Billy

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture I took when I first put my aquascape in the tank. Overall I like how it turned out. Sorry it’s so blue I didn’t use a filter.

126FED21-9352-4941-8EB1-04E9E7A63C0E.jpeg
This looks really cool! The only thing I'd be worried about is cleaning the front and left sides of the glass. I really like this sprawling look. It's almost like it's reaching out of the sand.

Billy

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks really cool! The only thing I'd be worried about is cleaning the front and left sides of the glass. I really like this sprawling look. It's almost like it's reaching out of the sand.

Billy
It’s not as close as it looks in the picture. There is probably about 4 inches between the glass and the rock at the closest points. I can easily get my flipper max anywhere on the glass.
The first time I ran the scrapper around I was afraid I was going to hit but when I looked from the side it wasn’t even close.

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not as close as it looks in the picture. There is probably about 4 inches between the glass and the rock at the closest points. I can easily get my flipper max anywhere on the glass.
The first time I ran the scrapper around I was afraid I was going to hit but when I looked from the side it wasn’t even close.
Awesome, well done!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back