90 gal build

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!!!

So after many months of bugging my wife about going "bigger", she has finally said yes. From a 24 gallon nano cube I am switching to a 90 gallon drilled with a 40 gallon sump. I have most of the much needed equipment (Kessil AP700, Current USA return pump-3170 gph, Current USA wave maker-2100 and 600 gph, Elos protein skimmer taken down from a 180 gal tank and a 300w Aqueon heater) to run the tank. I'm in the process of getting more live rock ( I have about 40 lbs right now from my cube and about 20 lbs dry rock) but since the prices of rock are pretty high, that may take me a while.

Now to my questions,

How much flow do I need in a 90 gallon? Will a 2100 gph wave maker be fine with
a 600 gph? Or should I get another 2100?

Is my return pump too strong for my tank? I can adjust the flow in it from like 30% all the way to a 100.

Since my tank will be in the basement where it is nice and cool all the time, should I still get the ATO?

And since my tank will be in a cool area, do I need another heater or will the 300w be enough?

How much rock do I need? Do I go with 1 lb per gallon or can I go 1 lb per 2 gallons? Again, that is for the 90 gal tank with a 40 gal sump.

And last but not least, will Kessil AP700 be enough for a mix reef tank? I will mainly focus on LPS and softies with some SPS.

I know that my lovely significant other has signed off on this build but I do need to be mindful of how much I spend at one time otherwise i will have too buy a flower shop or something like that:) Happy wife happy life and all that:)

Please help me out with some pointers. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Also, I want to build a huge stand in my basement, taking up an entire wall there for my 90 gallon planted tank and for the new reef tank as well. TSince both tanks are of the same dimensions, they will be right next to each other. I will than build a wal around them leaving just the front of the tanks for viewing and nothing else. However, I am not sure if that is wise, since all one will see is the front and not the sides of the tanks. I want to get as much from each of my tanks as possible but if loosing the sides won't make too much of an issue, than I will do just that.

If anyone has any ideas on the tank build and on the placement of the tanks please don't hesitate to pass them on to me. Good, bad, I will take them all. I want to get this right, and I don't want to loose any livestock from having problems that can be solved ahead of time if you get my drift.

Thanks a buch!!!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like enough flow between your return and the 2 pumps.

Nice and cool doesnt mean the air cant be dry. You could wait on the ato and see how much evaporation you get, but life is always easier with it.

I'm a proponent of 2 heaters for redundancy.

I'm a 1 lb per gallon guy, but it depends on the type of rock. You can get by with a lot less pukani for instance.

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not super experienced but I can help a little.

Ato - yes it will always loose water due to evaporation (unless your house is 100% humidity).

Many people enclose their tanks. Just look at pictures to see if that is what you want. I don’t personally like the look and would rather see the sides.

The wave pump should be enough (10x volume ) . Later down the line you can add another for wave effects (I have an eflux setup too).

Brs has a video on flow and how much is needed.

I agree with dual heaters (although my AIO has only space for one so this is just an opinion). I like the dual operation (split the heating requirements in half) if one fails on it won’t be enough to cook the tank or let it get to cold if it fails off. The other rule of thought is, one is a few deg higher than the primary and is never on unless the primary fails.

As far as the size you will need to read the box. manufacturers size their heaters differently. For example one may call for a 200w for your tank but another will call for a 300w.

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! Thank you for replying to my thread!!! Although I have been in a hobby for over a year, I am as clue less today as I was when I first started with reef keeping beauties. I will definitely get the ATO than. Any advice on which to get? They have so many to choose from... Heater I will get as well, those aren't too expensive so yes, better be safe than sorry I guess. The only thing that scares me is the rock. I guess I need another 100 lbs or so and that can get soooo expensive:/

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Craigslist or your local reef club/forum for cheap rock.

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done that. Nothing as of now but I will keep on looking:) No other way:)

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CT Aquatics New England group on FB
13fcf1bf01577681c9fa4a7f65ac7015.jpg

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks good vibes!!! I did reach out to the guy but he wants just about 200 bucks for it all and is unwilling to lower the price or sell part of it.

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks good vibes!!! I did reach out to the guy but he wants just about 200 bucks for it all and is unwilling to lower the price or sell part of it.

Honestly if you have 40 lbs live and 20 base rock I would just do the rest base rock and keep my fish count low until a year or two in. Should be less than $100 for 50-80 lbs

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll throw this out there. A free option for you to consider. You'll have to put in some sweat equity though. ;) I have a bin of about 120 lbs of old live rock from my tank breakdown about 1.5 years ago. It literally went from my tank right into the bin so of course it would need scrubbing and a bleach cure to remove all the dead organic material. If you're willing to put in the work and give it time, you can have what you need for your build.

Last edited:

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 1-2 years away from making similar plans after a year with a nano. So here's some advise I've been thinking about:

Ato: must have- use one with an optical eye sensor and a magnet. Using float valves or suction cups is asking for failure. Auto aqua has a good one.

Heater: 300w should be fine but it's more about how much heating is being used. How cold the room is and how hot you wanna run things - get Cobalt heater they are expensive but safe and reliable and the 300w comes with two 150w heater daisychained for more redundancy.

Light: that light should be fine but adding T5 will give you a 100par boost if things are struggling. But that shouldn't be a problem.

Flow: flow should be 10x tank volume per hour but that doesn't mean you have to run it fast thru the sump. Match flow thru sump to the need of your skimmer or slower if you just have a fuge. And blast the sps with flow. I like gyres or mp40

Rock: I like dry rock then buying high quality live rock to seed it. It took a year but the rock in my nano is starting to look like the seed rock.

Good luck on the build, I want do the same volume but with seahorses and other pod eaters. But I'm still waiting for the ok from the boss.

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll throw this out there. A free option for you to consider. You'll have to put in some sweat equity though. ;) I have a bin of about 120 lbs of old live rock from my tank breakdown about 1.5 years ago. It literally went from my tank right into the bin so of course it would need scrubbing and a bleach cure to remove all the dead organic material. If you're willing to put in the work and give it time, you can have what you need for your build.

Can’t beat that option, this is what the clubs all about! Thanks for being a generous person [emoji482]

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike. I will take it. I have no problem doing the work to get the rock ready. Just tell me when and where and I will be there bud!!! Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it!!!

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Fragile Reefer!!! Lots of good stuff there for me to work with!!!!

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike. I will take it. I have no problem doing the work to get the rock ready. Just tell me when and where and I will be there bud!!! Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Glad I can help you out. I live in Bloomfield on Talcott Mountain. Sunday I should be around most of the day if you want to swing by. I'm also free most of next week too if that works better.

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday is not good for me. Wife's birth day and all. May not be a good idea for me to step out and deal with reef hobby related things. But, since I work nights, next week during the day is open up for a discussion. Let me know what day is best for you next week and i will accommodate you. And thank you again!!!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back