90 Gallon pros and cons

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am shopping around for a new reef tank and I really like a 90-gallon thats 36 x 24 x 24. I know anything beyond 24 inches tall can become a hassle to clean, but I was hoping you guys could give me some pros and cons to getting a tank that size that I haven't already considered. Any feedback is appreciated!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 36x22x22 and 80g with sump. I like the dimensions but if you have space go bigger it just gives you more flexibility and options.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really like those dimensions, then that will be great. Nothing wrong with those dimensions at all. Not too deep, and 2 feet wide makes for good aquascaping.

I would consider the standard 75/90 and so the 120 as suggested.

Some things to consider:
What livestock do you want?
What will you use for lighting and flow?

OP
OP
LandlockedZissou816

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really like those dimensions, then that will be great. Nothing wrong with those dimensions at all. Not too deep, and 2 feet wide makes for good aquascaping.

Some things to consider:
What will you use for lighting and flow
The main reason I’m considering a 90 gal and not a 120 is aesthetics. I like the look of a 24in deep cube-ish tank.

OP
OP
LandlockedZissou816

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some things to consider:
What will you use for lighting and flow
Livestock is still up in the air. I have a couple clown fish, Talbots damsel, and some inverts that will make the move into a new tank. I like yellow tangs and emperor angelfish. Mostly looking forward to more coral

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with others, go as big as your budget and space allows. I started w 65 cube then upgraded to 94 cube and regret not having gone bigger. Cubes look nice but tight space in stand made it a hassle when working on sump etc. You'll appreciate wider stand when working on sump.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say a Yellow Tang “would” be out (long term) and an Emperor Angel “definitely would” be out, in a 36” tank. Fish more like the Clowns and Talbots that you already have would great. You might even push a cool Flame Hawk if you weren’t going to have shrimp. Best wishes!

Last edited:

Nateaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock is still up in the air. I have a couple clown fish, Talbots damsel, and some inverts that will make the move into a new tank. I like yellow tangs and emperor angelfish. Mostly looking forward to more coral
Look into a longknose hawk fish, one of my favorites will follow me around as I go by the tank. Could also look into a coral beauty has great color. But get what you like the most and are a good fit for your 90 gallon.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make your purchase yet? Thinking about either a 90 or 75/80. 36" wide is the limit for the location I have so it's a matter of depth and height for me. Leaning towards the 90 and a full 24" tall and deep and just putting it on a lower stand.

OP
OP
LandlockedZissou816

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't gotten it yet, life got in the way. But hopefully I will soon. If you get yours before I do, let me know how you like it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back