OP
G

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338896797.938052.jpg

Finally, the corals have colored up! Weekly water changes and an intense skimmer have proven to do the job. I set up a quarantine tank for coral/inverts last weekend. So it's time to get this tank rolling!

OP
OP
G

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo 5.jpg

So here are a few pics of the invert/coral quarentine tank.
Got an awesome deal on this. 25 gal starfire glass tank, a euro reef skimmer which i have never used before so well see how it goes, i have another skimmer sitting around if this doesnt work out well. Came with a marineland return pump, maximum of 1175 gal per hour, and a sump with all the plumbing, i ended up redoing the baffles for the sump, it was setup a little odd for my taste, but overall a great deal. Lighting right now is one of the marineland reef capable LED's which will sit up top while it cycles untill i figure out if i want to put a T5 fixture or get a good LED fixture. Right not im thinking for a T5 the TEK units or a Sunpower ATI. LEDS either a AI SOL, or Kessil. i have a kessil on my display which i love, but i wouldnt mind getting a new fixture to see how they do. Anyway im leaning more towards the T5's but well see.

OP
OP
G

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few changes have been made over, purple tang ended up being a bully as most people would suspect, so I sold it to another reefer. Probably for the best as the tank was on the small side.
Other than that livestock has not been changed, nothing added, but nothing died either, though I did have a bit of an alk swing, which caused one of my birdsnest to RTN so I had to cut it up. Now that the parameters are stable it is looking good. I have been manually dosing for about 2 years now which took its toll on me, so I got a few of the “drews dosers” with the 2 part dosing off BRS and hooked it up with my APEX, and my life has become so much easier! It took me 2 weeks to dial these guys in, but after taking a lot of tests and increasing the time slowly over that period everything is on point, and I am ready to stock this baby. It will be a year in October since I have set this tank up, and I have been reluctant to go all out on coral until I had a proper Q/T system going on and finally I do. Q/T is fully cycled; I ended up getting an AI SOL and could not be happier. At first I was debating on going T5, but then I bailed and said LED, but was thinking of getting another Kessil, which would have been nice. But I caught a fair deal on the SOL that I couldn’t say no to, and these units are worth it. From pics I thought all tanks with the SOL’s were way too blue, but in actuality they are great looking.
By the way, the Copper banded butterfly fish is doing great, guy eats like a pig straight out of my hands. Only issue is it will only eat frozen foods, which means someone has to always feed the fish, and it is not as easy as setting up an automatic fish feeder and going on holidays. So if anyone has any ideas/diy projects to help me with this I would love to hear it. Or if they know of any food that this guy might eat that isn’t frozen, besides cyclopeeze it will chew it but spit it out after.
Here are some pics of the new Q/T tank with a pair of clowns and a nem that will live in the tank permanently. By the way, I have a euro reef skimmer on this tank, and it is great I would say it does a better job than my old bubble magus nac7. I was thinking of selling it but have decided to keep it.

OP
OP
G

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy what a bit of editing can do, same pic as above. But in all honesty this is a more accurate representation of the nem.

nem.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back