90 Gallon Stocking Plan

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I finally got rid of my turd of a Purple Dottyback (Fish Trap worked) and am doing some deeper research into a final stocking list. What's the verdict on the below:

Clown x 2 (already in there)
Aiptasia Filefish (I have a lot...and he's gonna be well-fed)
Long Nose Hawkfish
Atlantic Blue Tang
Watchman Goby
Pajama Cardinal x 3

This feels a little light, I think? It's 90gallon TWV with a fuge and oversized skimmer I leave off 50% of the time. I can't get nitrates to keep up, so I'm dosing it on the regular. Phosphates are a bit high at .12, but if I let my chaeto blow up, it drops.

What other tankmates could I consider in that list?

majesticbigmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my friend. This is quite a good stock list, no need for overstocking. However, it will keep space for a moment where you see a fish that you fall in love with, and allow for it to be added to the system. However, do be careful with clowns and other fish. They may start becoming aggressive, especially if the other fish are smaller. Many Thanks.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pick a different tang, that list will be just fine for a 90 gallon, assuming a standard 4' 90 gallon.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantic Blues not only become b******** but also get VERY large. If you have a plan for when it gets 4 inch long and can redone it then it may be alright but personally I wouldn’t.
Don’t go for a filefish, they’re only 50/50 when it comes to aptaisia and will end up going for coral polyps once the aptaisia is gone. My guess as to why they do this is because aptaisia looks similar to polyps on coral.

So that leaves you with 7 fish. I have a 4’x2’x18” (I often round it up to 2’ though) with 10 fish, it could potentially have 13-14 total. for an idea of what I’m going for, here is what I have currently.
- Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus)
- Black Margin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus)
- Lubbocki Fairy Wrasse “Indonesia” (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
- Lubbocki Fairy Wrasse “Cebu” (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
- Jade Wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus)
- Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)
- Magnificent Foxface (Siganus magnificus)
- Black Photon Clownfish (Amphiprion occelaris x Amphiprion percula)
- Spotbreast Angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilos)
- Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus)

What I’m after:
- Flashing Tilefish (Hoplolatilus chlupartyi)

And growing out in my nano is:
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
- Naoko Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus naokoae)

That’s just an idea of the sort of fish you can have in a 4’ tank.

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantic Blues not only become b******** but also get VERY large. If you have a plan for when it gets 4 inch long and can redone it then it may be alright but personally I wouldn’t.
Don’t go for a filefish, they’re only 50/50 when it comes to aptaisia and will end up going for coral polyps once the aptaisia is gone. My guess as to why they do this is because aptaisia looks similar to polyps on coral.

So that leaves you with 7 fish. I have a 4’x2’x18” (I often round it up to 2’ though) with 10 fish, it could potentially have 13-14 total. for an idea of what I’m going for, here is what I have currently.
- Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus)
- Black Margin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus)
- Lubbocki Fairy Wrasse “Indonesia” (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
- Lubbocki Fairy Wrasse “Cebu” (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
- Jade Wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus)
- Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)
- Magnificent Foxface (Siganus magnificus)
- Black Photon Clownfish (Amphiprion occelaris x Amphiprion percula)
- Spotbreast Angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilos)
- Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus)

What I’m after:
- Flashing Tilefish (Hoplolatilus chlupartyi)

And growing out in my nano is:
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
- Naoko Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus naokoae)

That’s just an idea of the sort of fish you can have in a 4’ tank.

I've read that about the Filefish. I'm kinda at a loss at what to do for the Aiptasia in there. I've nuked all the big heads with Aiptasia X, and I have 4 peppermint shrimp in there right now trying to work on it. I can't pull all the rock out and this just spreads way too fast.

Good info on the Blue Tang..after the Dottyback fiasco, I'm not anxious to get a turd in here.

Other good recommendations though!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about some Damselfish? Not Chromis (not a Uronema fan), but Azure or Springeri?
Definitely go for some C. springeri, personally I like the “Sapphire” over the true springers.

Any specific colours you’re after? Or don’t really mind. Also with aptaisia eating fish, can I put Chelmon rostratus on the table? They’re beautiful even if they don’t eat Aptaisia. Also pose “less” of a risk to coral than a Filefish may. Although the CBBs will potentially go after fleshy LPS such as micros, Acans (If they even exist anymore), Favia potentially (Although mine ignores all coral - Personally not a fan of micros or acans).

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely go for some C. springeri, personally I like the “Sapphire” over the true springers.

Any specific colours you’re after? Or don’t really mind. Also with aptaisia eating fish, can I put Chelmon rostratus on the table? They’re beautiful even if they don’t eat Aptaisia. Also pose “less” of a risk to coral than a Filefish may. Although the CBBs will potentially go after fleshy LPS such as micros, Acans (If they even exist anymore), Favia potentially (Although mine ignores all coral - Personally not a fan of micros or acans).

I'm not particular on color. Right now, my biggest worry is this stupid Apitasia invasion. Peps just aren't cutting it. Plus, he's kinda ugly which makes me like him even more. I'm not confident enough to handle a CBB yet. Maybe someday :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back