9001 foamer start issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

sandalscout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a tank back from a friend after he had it for a few years. He replaced the skimmer with a Comline 9001, and said that it stopped foaming a few months ago, so it's not been being used. I took it apart, cleaned it up and put it back together. It was terribly dirty.

On plugging it in, about 15% of the time it will start 2-3 times in a row, and then it just "locks up" on start. Once it locks up, I have to take the impeller cover off, seperate all of the components of the drive unit, align everything and put it back together. It seems like the impeller assembly has too much up and down movement (not due to wear) and just bounces around until it either gets out of the "groove" in the cover or smacks into the side of the motor housing.

Are there any detailed pictures online to show the proper steps to reassemble this? I know it's not hard, but i have only been able to start it 4-5 times in the last two days, and the rest of the time is simply doesn't start, or won't restart after a power cycle.

Thanks!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the metal shaft, in the center of the impeller well in the motor should be a permanently installed metal shaft, if the pump was badly neglected calcium deposits could cement the impeller to the shaft and then it gets pulled out, if the seat is damaged so it cannot be reinstalled firmly, the only repair will be a new motor.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze website also has detailed pictures and parts catalogues for all thier parts.

OP
OP
sandalscout

sandalscout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the metal shaft, in the center of the impeller well in the motor should be a permanently installed metal shaft, if the pump was badly neglected calcium deposits could cement the impeller to the shaft and then it gets pulled out, if the seat is damaged so it cannot be reinstalled firmly, the only repair will be a new motor.

Thanks Roger, I have the shaft, but it comes out with the impeller, so that must be the problem. Thank you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back