907 Tank & Stand Build - 55 Gallon

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't say this case. I was thinking more like getting sick. I seem to be the last one to always get the flu or whatever in my family. Sometimes I'd rather the "Better never than late" instead.
Sure Jan GIF

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have I not visited your thread before!?!?!
excited debra messing GIF by Talk Stoop

Oh No Leave GIF by Britannia

its-about-time-5b2d0c.jpg

Unless I'm misreading the chart, it seems like you've lost several zoas. Why do you think that is? I'm having trouble with mine, too...

In my case, I found asterinas eating them. Sneaky snakes appeared to be getting to most at night. Killed off about 50 so far and my one Zoa head remaining is doing great lol..

I had low nitrates early on as well, though that might have contributed as well.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say this case. I was thinking more like getting sick. I seem to be the last one to always get the flu or whatever in my family. Sometimes I'd rather the "Better never than late" instead.
sure. yeah. you totally werent saying i should of never showed up here :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. you have only got a couple build threads left that i am not onnnnnn! i will remove all of your hidey hole build threads! all build threads you are on will have me as well! (if i could keep up with all those threads....) looks like it is your lucky day!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why thank you, one of our first corals in the tank! :cool:

Definitely could be the Clowns, they do host the crap out of it.. Seems happy at any rate!
Yeah my Duncan was grumpy at first but now it doesn’t seem to mind the hostile hosting. ;)
Kind of like the husband
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Comedy Joking GIF by CBC

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5g WC (~15%), and a little algae removal yesterday. Mainly focusing on the bottom rocks which can't easily be removed, may pull the top ones for a scrub down this weekend. I would love to not have to pull rocks to eradicate algae however..

Note to self, my Melanurus Wrasse does not like orange toothbrushes (sorry @Fish Styx ).. I picked up a $3 replacement with stiffer bristles yesterday and the wrasse just nails it. 2 hard hits directly to it while I'm working in there, so I pulled it, went back to the older, softer, dull one and he has no problems... Interesting...

20230313_173600.jpg

Also had upped my water storage game in the fish room / office recently, had 2 spare 16 gal jugs so I dedicated one to the ATO and one for storage. It was interesting getting the ATO pump in there since it has to be wired, then inverted underwater to clear air, then turned upright. All set, and shouldn't have to pull it unless the pump fails or I let the water run out, which a full load will last about a month, I just top it up during weekly water changes. Also need to get a stand made for these (coming soon) so I can use a siphon pump out of the storage tank, and will fit 2, 5 gal buckets underneath, one for skimmate export and one for whateva.

20230313_165752.jpg

FTS:

20230313_165902.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
5g WC (~15%), and a little algae removal yesterday. Mainly focusing on the bottom rocks which can't easily be removed, may pull the top ones for a scrub down this weekend. I would love to not have to pull rocks to eradicate algae however..

Note to self, my Melanurus Wrasse does not like orange toothbrushes (sorry @Fish Styx ).. I picked up a $3 replacement with stiffer bristles yesterday and the wrasse just nails it. 2 hard hits directly to it while I'm working in there, so I pulled it, went back to the older, softer, dull one and he has no problems... Interesting...

20230313_173600.jpg

Also had upped my water storage game in the fish room / office recently, had 2 spare 16 gal jugs so I dedicated one to the ATO and one for storage. It was interesting getting the ATO pump in there since it has to be wired, then inverted underwater to clear air, then turned upright. All set, and shouldn't have to pull it unless the pump fails or I let the water run out, which a full load will last about a month, I just top it up during weekly water changes. Also need to get a stand made for these (coming soon) so I can use a siphon pump out of the storage tank, and will fit 2, 5 gal buckets underneath, one for skimmate export and one for whateva.

20230313_165752.jpg

FTS:

20230313_165902.jpg
You can always just send the toothbrush to him. He'd probably use it.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw someone wrapped the battery end of an electric toothbrush in plastic, to keep it dry, to help scrub their rocks underwater. She said it worked really well with little force. I’m with you about removing rocks.. I’ve done it for over a year and I’m OVER IT.

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw someone wrapped the battery end of an electric toothbrush in plastic, to keep it dry, to help scrub their rocks underwater. She said it worked really well with little force. I’m with you about removing rocks.. I’ve done it for over a year and I’m OVER IT.

I saw that one as well (or a similar one recently)! Linking here for reference:

There are some haters in there regarding distributing the algae instead of removing it completely. But yea removing rocks is the worst, so I'm not sure I'm dissuaded yet lol... I was staring at the electric ones in town yesterday...

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are some haters in there regarding distributing the algae instead of removing it completely. But yea removing rocks is the worst, so I'm not sure I'm dissuaded yet lol... I was staring at the electric ones in town yesterday...
That’s the one!!! I thought about the critics comments as well. You could hold a siphon next to the toothbrush to remove as it loosens up. However, I’m pretty clumsy.. and it will
Probably result in me knocking all my
Poorly glued corals down.

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the one!!! I thought about the critics comments as well. You could hold a siphon next to the toothbrush to remove as it loosens up. However, I’m pretty clumsy.. and it will

Poorly Glued Corals could be the theme of my tank - if I didn't have a pistol they'd mostly just stay on the sand bed where I knock them to each time I'm in there :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Siphon could definitely be an option. Otherwise my logic may be, if I boost my CUC, and use the electric brush on only larger GHA, I can scoop/pull most of it out and anything distributed would then be smaller-sized GHA which the CUC could reconcile. Eh? They just don't touch the big stuff.. Lawnmower looks at me like, WHO GONNA MOW THIS ISH?!

I'm about to leave my tank for 8-9 days, pretty sure when I get back I'll be on board with the electric regardless lol.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Yes but with the proper CUC and fish in the tank, plus if you're working on the problem it'll slowly resolve itself. Better than leaving it unchecked and allowing it to take over your tank and then die-off cause a nutrient spike...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back