92g cube question

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a used 92g cube recently. Guy says it's made by marineland but I've looked everywhere and have not found the style I have. Main thing I'm curious about is the black trim piece on the bottom. Any rimmed tank I've seen has a top and bottom rim but yet the one I have only has a bottom rim. Guy I got it from only said it had the bottom rim when he got it. It's real thin, flimsy, and separating from the tank in a few places. Wondering if I should replace it, or take it off, or leave it. Any guidance would be appreciated.
20200630_165227.jpg

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bottom black rim look like it was all connected once. My concern would be that the rim is there to give structural integrity to the tank, and help hold some of the pressure placed on the glass and silicone, that is why I'm wondering if it had a black top rim, but was removed for some reason.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea it appears the bottom rim was all one piece basically. one of the corners cracked, but there is no silicon holding the rim on the top side, but the rim is siliconed to the bottom. i spoke with the guy i bought the tank from and he said it never had a top rim. just find it odd i guess, never seen a tank with bottom rim and not a top...

Mattsworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Deep blue 57 rimless that has only a bottom frame with no top (.5 thick glass though). I bought it new, so some company's do make them like that. With that said, that doesn't look like any factory Marineland tank I've ever seen. Maybe the tank itself is marineland, but he drilled and added a DIY overflow?

Also, and I know it's not something you're going to want to hear, but if the integrity of the bottom frame is compromised, I would absolutely not use it. No way. The tank was designed with a bottom frame for integrity reasons, otherwise it would be completely frameless. I would not risk it at all. Tanks are too cheap (brand new 60 cube is like $300) to risk it. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has double reinforcement though. They put extra .5in peices all along the bottom of the tank which were silicone as well. Looks like they were put there during the build of the tank.
20200714_230359.jpg
20200714_230353.jpg
20200714_230410.jpg

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that's a marineland, it would have had a top plastic rim. I have a 60 marineland cube with no frame on top or bottom. It's a great size cube, I hope you have great success with it.

Mattsworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look similar to the silicone around the overflow? That just doesn’t look like factory work to me. I could be wrong, of course. I’m not trying to dog your tank, hope you dont take it that way. If you have it setup, or intend on setting it up, I truly hope all goes well.

If I had to take a guess, Id say it leaked in That corner and he cut the frame to add silicone. How do the other 4 corners look? Do they all have the same amount of silicone Inside the frame?

Ive been in the hobby almost 15 years and have bought several used tanks and they all let me down eventually from leaks. I finally came to the conclusion that the stuff that would be living in the tank would cost several times over what a brand new factory tank would cost. It’s just not worth the risk. I Had used 30 cube blow a seam and completely empty at least 1k of livestock on the floor while i was away. I dont even want to talk on how much the flooring cost to replace. All over a couple Hundred bucks I could have paid for a new one. The peace of mind is worth that to Me. 30 gallons was a ton of water draining out my floor. 60 would be a rough rough day. At a minimum, take it up to a respectable fish stoRe and have them give you their blessings on it.

Ive actually been searching for a 92 marineland cube, but rumor has it, they are completely getting out of the “large” aquarium manufacturing business (according to a few sources). Can’t find a 92 anywhere, Ive seen a few frameless 6o marineland corner overflow cubes at distributor’s for $300. Framed 6o rr cubes are even cheaper, 250ish. But I’m told once those are gone, that will be the end of em.

Anyway, good luck whichever you decide. I would buy a brand new one if it were me. If you just can’t, Id wait until you can. Unless your planning on keeping the tank in the garage or something.

Mattsworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has double reinforcement though. They put extra .5in peices all along the bottom of the tank which were silicone as well. Looks like they were put there during the build of the tank.
20200714_230359.jpg
20200714_230353.jpg
20200714_230410.jpg
And after looking at the silicone work on that overflow, I’d bet the barn the previous owner did that and tried to reseal the seams. Best of luck, let us know what you decide

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when I went to pick up the setup he still had it up and running. We had to break the whole thing down that day.

Mattsworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when I went to pick up the setup he still had it up and running. We had to break the whole thing down that day.
gotcha, well if you feel comfortable with it, rock on brother! Or atleast run it by a lfs and see what their opinion on it is.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm a silicon expert not a silicone expert but ther seems look pretty good to me. I just wish I knew it's origination, would make me feel more at ease if I had more info on the tank. Dude I got it from had no idea since he bought it from someone else.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look similar to the silicone around the overflow? That just doesn’t look like factory work to me. I could be wrong, of course. I’m not trying to dog your tank, hope you dont take it that way. If you have it setup, or intend on setting it up, I truly hope all goes well.

If I had to take a guess, Id say it leaked in That corner and he cut the frame to add silicone. How do the other 4 corners look? Do they all have the same amount of silicone Inside the frame?

Ive been in the hobby almost 15 years and have bought several used tanks and they all let me down eventually from leaks. I finally came to the conclusion that the stuff that would be living in the tank would cost several times over what a brand new factory tank would cost. It’s just not worth the risk. I Had used 30 cube blow a seam and completely empty at least 1k of livestock on the floor while i was away. I dont even want to talk on how much the flooring cost to replace. All over a couple Hundred bucks I could have paid for a new one. The peace of mind is worth that to Me. 30 gallons was a ton of water draining out my floor. 60 would be a rough rough day. At a minimum, take it up to a respectable fish stoRe and have them give you their blessings on it.

Ive actually been searching for a 92 marineland cube, but rumor has it, they are completely getting out of the “large” aquarium manufacturing business (according to a few sources). Can’t find a 92 anywhere, Ive seen a few frameless 6o marineland corner overflow cubes at distributor’s for $300. Framed 6o rr cubes are even cheaper, 250ish. But I’m told once those are gone, that will be the end of em.

Anyway, good luck whichever you decide. I would buy a brand new one if it were me. If you just can’t, Id wait until you can. Unless your planning on keeping the tank in the garage or something.
My 93 cube rimless corner overflow is Marineland and doesn't have any base frame. I'd agree that the base and center overflow looks aftermarket but not sure whether it was done bc of a leak. IMO, it was done to create a center overflow vs corner... unfortunately since seller was 2nd user this isn't possible. Also agree about tank integrity risk whenever it's been resealed, it all depends on one's risk tolerance. If this will keep you awake during the night, then I'd recommend buying a new tank... not worth the stress

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back