islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how it was done. I cut mine out, plugged the holes in the bottom with a sheet of glass and copious amounts of silicone and drilled it for a fijicube overflow. Looks better, takes up less real estate and is dead silent.

Hi there, I just ordered a fijicube 54 gallon cube with their 1/2 inch glass and it comes w a 600 overflow external one hole. I really wanted a bean animal they said it would take a few months to order w 2 holes for the 1200gph ext bean I really wanted... However he said he would upgrade me to the 800gph ext box still only one hole 2 drain(bean animal not possible no charge...not to mention I bought a few other things and he threw in the 1200 gph for free and a drill kit to boot. I told him I'd send the 800 back if I was ok getting one more hole drilled on my own. Ive drilled glass before no prob but on cheap thinner tanks w water and drill vise but this one is a bit more money to risk... It will be offset in back but that's ok it would be in more of corner in house and tank anyway....so not to ramble but my big question is did u have any issues fitting ur overflow or problems w their template ...I've heard of o-ring issues cause they only use one and do you have the one hole 2 drain or the 2 hole 3 drain, what is ur tank return flow do you have any tips or isuues w ur new box. Just covering my bases lol...Thanks Adam

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, in my experience, the 600gph is plenty for your tank. The other two sizes are excessive and will be harder to keep silent because of the amount of flow. I have no idea what the fascination is lately with huge amounts of flow through a sump. It is seriously not needed and can cause the water to not be filtered thoroughly in my experience. Oh and a herbie style (two drain) is completely adequate for safety. That is what I have used since the 90s.

I had no issues drilling mine. The template worked great.

I used the gasket on the flange side of the bulkhead in the tank and none of the others.

Hope this helps.

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that. I want my overflow to be able to handle more than max output of my return pumps....the herbie is as quite as the animals ive used? I always thought full flow through the main and a light trickle thru 2nd gives quitest drain reguardless of flow rate...i only think that if it did clog, the 2nd drain already draining a little may be overflowed if main clogged....highly unlikely but if so 3rd dry drain peace of mind...not so much i need high turnover but only 1200gph box offers 3 drain. And i like the fact theres 2 holes in back of glass for water to flow into overflow box vs just one as comes on 600 or 800 box...my thought any way...urs on those points? Wouldnt be so particular normally but its new build.w.a lot of love invested....

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only think that if it did clog, the 2nd drain already draining a little may be overflowed if main clogged

This would only be an issue If the main drain was wide open and wasn't choked atall by a gate valve. For 1" pipe this would mean you'd be pushing 1000GPH through your sump.

You usually close the valve off if even ever so slightly and this is enough to account for the trickle down the secondary. If your main clogs your secondary will actually be able to handle MORE flow than your primary because it's not restricted. Hopefully that kindof makes sense...

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the secondary no full flow drain only trickle could handle more flow if the primary non vented full flow drain is clogged....since it is being restricted by gate....it would never be full open...that makes sense.. so a bean animal would only be helpful reassurance if the main was set mostly open which would be more flow than i wanted anyway...thats good food for thought...honestly i never use my emergency drains on my other tanks....for same reason its making sense now...i guess since ive always used bean animals in kinda stuck....u think its worth drilling another hole in tank in addition to the other one? An unneccessary risk im guessing then...i kinda dont want to drill another hole....but i do have this glourious 3 drain 2 hole overflow...from fijicube i do like a bigger weir...if the weir is bigger and flow over it is slower would it be quiter at same flow rate as opposed to high water travel rate over smaller 600 or 800 weir on smaller overflow? Same flow return rate but slower over weir but more weir to flow over...sounds abit much to compare but i wonder which is quiter....my 1800gph overflows on my three 60 deep blue frag tanks only turn over at maybe 3 to 400 gph and they are dead silent running. I mean totally silent. They all run 3 _2" returns to homeade 6ft sump. Lot of pipe overkill but nice sheet flow like a maxspect gyrw across whole top of tank...no pwereheads. Nice slow sheet flow i love oversized overflow animals....hard to downsize now w this build in theory ive had such amazing results with being quite...i know its overkill but not like im doing it for high turnover just noise and better flow across top.of tank...u think the 600 gph overflow really quiter? The 1800 overflows i installed have laser etched with down grooves on bottom of slots in box like the ghost synergys....u wonder if the fijicubes are same....btw i stumbled on these findings btw i was initailly seting up the tanks to handle a coulle thousand clowns....have a huge regal ext skimmer rated for 1500 gal and uv...big clown balls make big huge balls of waste...they can handle down to below 6 ph at low 1.018 salinty believe it or not....ammonia is exponentially toxic w ph and salinity....odd finding...

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im kinda out of the fish breeding now but the overflows actually work awesome at low flow rates....

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice build! keep up the great work!
Hey i appreciate u reading my long butt post and giving me some real feedback...sounds like the 2 drain will work i think im gonna keep the 800 its coming with and truly give the herbie a chance. I was thinking could always add a bulkhead to side of 800 box if i really felt i needed that 3rd pipe... the 800gph it coming w is a nice spread of waterflow i think its 8 inch across vs 6" on the 600....the 1200 is 12inch across same with and skinny inner weir. Dont think 4 inch gonna really make a diff on water noise alone so i gonna take ur advise ..i guess ill just have to wait til it arrives to really confirm but....thanks again for the input and im leaning ir way now. Not on here often but tryin to..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I run twin 440gph in my 93 cube. You have adequate.

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sea swirl 1/2 inch id love to use...its rated for 500gph then 2 returns its afijicube 54 cube....24x24x22.5 coming white stand...one of their gen2 sumps...3dos 1cor 15 which im reluctant to try...not trying to buy into apex but i have had pretty good exp overall....anyway got alil icecap algae reactor and kalk stirrer, spectra ato old tiny skimmer for now...a few hydra hds laying around...setting up dad a tank across town. .ready to install just waiting..ships friday the tank...cant wait!

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i tried to go bigger they just dont want a tank sad...i had to push to get it in their place and hoping if i maintain it right theyll grow a new love...they need a healthy hobby! So less maintenence the better especially emergency type issues im not around...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back