A 100 gal quarantine question?

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a used 100 gallon used tank that used to be a reef tank and now im thinking of turning it into a quarantine tank. Im currently using multiple 10-15 gallon tanks for quarantine but im thinking of selling most of them keeping 2 to separate some sensitive fish/fish that need special care in quarantine. I will be using multiple hob and sponge filters for bacteria in the quarantine. Is this a good idea since the tank would be a waste otherwise? Im hoping i could quarantine multiple fish at once, here is the current fish wishlist:
- 2-3 fairy/flasher wrasse 1 canary wrasse
- a yellow tang
- 2 bellus angels
- a tomini tang
- 5 lyretail anthias
- yasha goby
- longnose hawkfish
And a teeny tiny hippo and a pair of clowns in two different quarantine tanks right now.
(The tank is a 210 gallon not sure what else to add didn’t wanna over stock might add some after these go in or if anyone got any suggestions)

So im thinking of quarantining them in a batch of 2-3. Any opinions on which ones might do best together, and how many at a time? I will also have dividers in there for maybe the angel pair or if some of them start a fight (a 15 gallon too for backup). Does this sound like a good enough plan?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to run quarantine on groups of fish at once, it actually lowers the overall risk if you get all of the fish from the same source. The only caveat is that your biofilter needs to be able to handle the load.
I’m not sure I understand about you separating the fish with dividers, etc. The QT is half the size of the DT, you should be able to quarantine a full complement of fish at once without fighting. If you have issues n the QT, you will also have issues later in the DT.
What quarantine protocol are you going to follow(drugs, timeline)?
Jay

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to run quarantine on groups of fish at once, it actually lowers the overall risk if you get all of the fish from the same source. The only caveat is that your biofilter needs to be able to handle the load.
I’m not sure I understand about you separating the fish with dividers, etc. The QT is half the size of the DT, you should be able to quarantine a full complement of fish at once without fighting. If you have issues n the QT, you will also have issues later in the DT.
What quarantine protocol are you going to follow(drugs, timeline)?
Jay
Ohh i see, so if they are fighting in the quarantine they will also fight in the DT. They will be going through cupramine, slow ramp up (no other well known copper is sold here) after they all have started eating. They will also go through GC and food soaked with GC. After that a month observation thinking of adding some black mollies to check i have in one of my freshwater tanks. So around 2.5-3 or more months. Ill also seed sponge filters and hob filter from the media in the tank thats been there for around 6 months now. Also might move the ones that are not doing well in copper (even after really slow ramp up) to the smaller tanks for hybrid ttm.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware of taking too long to ramp up the copper- people mistakenly do that and diseases get started during that time. 72 hours max to get to full dose. Never use ammonia reducer when using cupramine.
Jay

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware of taking too long to ramp up the copper- people mistakenly do that and diseases get started during that time. 72 hours max to get to full dose. Never use ammonia reducer when using cupramine.
Jay
Oh never knew taking too long could do bad, okay ill make sure to not take too long and not to dose ammonia reducers.
Make sure there is plenty of scape for the fish to hide / swim through. Don't just have a barren tank
Ill make sure to also put plenty of different pvc pipes around the tank.

Thanks everyone. Hope this will all go smoothly. After all the fish goes in the 210 ill move to quarantining the fish for my upcoming game room drop-off tank.

Back