A 40b upgrade project

OP
Jimmeh lee

Jimmeh lee

View Badges
Reaction score
That frag is still about the same, so I’m thinking it’s mostly adjusting. Skimmer is back on and pulling some nasty funk now. The sump is getting some nasty algae growing, a little bit of cyano in the display. Nothin to worry too much about.
I can finally see all my Wd’s colors front on, so that’s cool. My palmer’s blue is finally blue again, too.
89586781-3984-402C-BDC3-311D73B7CA06.jpeg

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
Jimmeh lee

Jimmeh lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Great looking system. How do you like the Photon V2 on this tank. I just finished my 40B, but have not decided on a light for it yet. I am considering the 32" Photon V2+ for mine as well.
I really like the light so far. It’s well built, has the quality feel. Looks great suspended over the tank in my opinion. At 17” off the water I currently run it @ 10/10/90/15/90/90, and love the look inside the tank. It’s a crisp icey blue. My Walt Disney’s coloration imo is even better now than it was under the prime 16+ a80 combo in the old tank. The wd is kind of my barometer for the light’s performance lol.

The one annoying thing about the light is that it flickers. It’s the type of driver(pmw?) it uses. You’ll never see it with the naked eye, but taking pictures or video can get annoying when the frame rate/shutter is off of its frequency.
It’s pretty easily worked around, so it’s a very small grip.

Overall, would definitely suggest.

Last edited:

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Saw your post and is exactly what I am currently working on. Just waiting for petco $1/gal sale. 40b/20l. What return pump are you using also about how much did you spend on plumbing if you don’t mind me asking. This will be my first saltwater tank so I’m tryna get as much info possible

OP
Jimmeh lee

Jimmeh lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Saw your post and is exactly what I am currently working on. Just waiting for petco $1/gal sale. 40b/20l. What return pump are you using also about how much did you spend on plumbing if you don’t mind me asking. This will be my first saltwater tank so I’m tryna get as much info possible
I’m using a simplicity dc1600 as my return, lowest setting with an rfg. I think I ended up spending around $150 on the plumbing? All one inch pipes and fittings.

Zoanthids.com

What do you look for when making sure your skimmer is working correctly?

• Amount of skimmate

Votes: 181 45.9%
  • Dark Skimmate

Votes: 244 61.9%
  • Light Skimmate

Votes: 16 4.1%
  • Dry Skimmate

Votes: 50 12.7%
  • Wet Skimmate

Votes: 43 10.9%
  • Low Nutrient Levels

Votes: 55 14.0%