A Beginner Again

NickTheIrish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a Fluval 32.5 gallon bow-front with built in filtration system: Foam, Carbon and Biomax.

https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/flex-32/

Once I get the hang of balancing the parameters, I intend to upgrade / add onto the lighting and start collecting coral. But baby steps, right?
I purchased mixed water, live rock and live sand from my LFS and set it up 12.24.2020.

I’ve since added:
5 Damsals
2 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Turbo Snails
3 Margarita Snails
5 Nassarius Snails
Several Hermit Crabs, Varying in Size
Sand Sifting Starfish

Now, I admit that I was fed some bad advice from a couple of the two LFS that I frequent, hence the hasty addition of livestock (added Damsals 12.26.2020). And I’d received some speculation about the Starfish’s survival in this size tank but, again; the “pro” at the LFS told me he / she’d be fine. I’m learning as I go!

All this being said, I’ve only lost a single Damsal (bringing my current total down to 4), not counting a few hermit crabs and snails, which I understand to be fairly normal, regardless of tank health / parameters.
The shrimps were purchased after some online research on how to take care of aiptasia, which had stowed away in a couple of pieces of live rock. I initially thought I had scored free anemones, until I read up on them.

I (literally) just did my first water change yesterday (3.6.2021), because my Ammonia was low, but still not 0ppm and my Nitrates were fairly high. Nitrites are either 0ppm, or VERY close.
The reason I hadn’t done a water change before this was because someone at one of the two LFS told me not to do one until my levels were where they should be (presumably 0). However, this was contradictory to what everyone had been telling me on forums (Reddit mostly).

This is all I can think of that might be pertinent for you folks to formulate an opinion or two (probably too much information, now that I think of it...sorry!), but if you think of anything I’m missing or that I should add, I’d be interested to hear.

Oh, and I’ve been looking into the Fluval PS1 protein skimmer, since it’s compact and fits in the cubby built into the tank, and I’m all about hiding wires / devices as much as I can, as I’m a bit of a neat freak!

Thank you for reading, those of you that are still awake!

December 2020
E7134880-F595-492B-96E7-51E5A5CB799A.jpeg

January 2021
44BC1CF7-0F97-4D2B-BC90-B5B26E4F1887.jpeg

March 2021
3C9A0300-1E6C-4091-B7BB-776898A7E448.jpeg

The Boy Approves
339C0B5D-35B3-4115-A08B-B200CD9772CE.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Tank look great, and you got the seal of approval it looks like. You did fine with putting damsels and other things in if you had true live rock. Even if not, we used damsels for years to cycle tanks long ago.

I would think you don’t have any ammonia issues at this point, it may look that way if you are using api to check it.

everything looks good, keep us posted on the skimmer.

Back