A bit of a delima!

oldmansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 20 gallon peninsula which I am planning to buy a light. My delima is the display area is 26“ x 11”. What would be the way to get the best coverage with a $300 budget. AI prime 16hd $209 A I Hydra 26, on sale. At brs for $256 or a black box. Thanks everyone

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on what you're planning on growing. While a black box will definitely work, you would have to turn it way down.

Probably the best cheapest option with total tank coverage is the last gen Prime HD. Call around to the LFS in your area and see if they have a pair of them in stock. Many of them probably still have them will be selling them at a discounted price. Pick up a pair of the 12" flex arm mounts and you're done. I have two of them over a standard 20g long spaced about 6 inches apart and it's perfect. The Hydra 26 will definitely work, but PAR may be a tad low in the corners due to the LED pucks being so close together. Then again are you planning on putting in the corners? If not, then the 26 will be perfect.

OP
OP
oldmansreef

oldmansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned. Mainly, a Softie and LPS Tank. Good idea on last generation Primes but that is part of the delima. I want to show the tank as a peninsula and not have any mounts on the sides of the tank, I could hang the lights with a hanging kit. I think the spread of the hydra 26 might work, because I can center it at 13 inches, (display area 26") and have a dead area of about 2' on the ends of the tank. Just enough for flow and cleaning.
Might work. Thank You

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned. Mainly, a Softie and LPS Tank. Good idea on last generation Primes but that is part of the delima. I want to show the tank as a peninsula and not have any mounts on the sides of the tank, I could hang the lights with a hanging kit. I think the spread of the hydra 26 might work, because I can center it at 13 inches, (display area 26") and have a dead area of about 2' on the ends of the tank. Just enough for flow and cleaning.
Might work. Thank You

You can still use the Prime HD's and have it as a peninsula. Instead of the 12" flex arm mounts, get a pair of hanging mount kits for them. Then get a 8-10' section of 3/8" diameter electrical conduit pipe, a pipe bender, pipe cutter (possibly borrow or rent these), a decorative endcap, mounting brackets and black spray paint. If you leave a small gap between the end of the tank and the wall you can mount the pipe to that, or down the stand depending on your setup. Next measure out where to put the bend ensuring you have enough horizontal distance to mount both lights off of it. Once you have the pipe bent drill the holes, two all the way through the pipe for the Prime hanging kits and two right next to them on the bottom side of the conduit only for the power cables. Once all that is done paint the pipe with several coats of paint and run a pair of strings through the pipe and use them to fish the power cables through the pipe. Mount the pipe up and then bolt the hanging kits up and mount the lights and then wrap the power cables around the support wires down to the lights. Plug everything in and viola a simple clean light mount for a peninsula tank with hidden wiring.

OP
OP
oldmansreef

oldmansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, the hydra 26 is looking better and better, thanks
You can still use the Prime HD's and have it as a peninsula. Instead of the 12" flex arm mounts, get a pair of hanging mount kits for them. Then get a 8-10' section of 3/8" diameter electrical conduit pipe, a pipe bender, pipe cutter (possibly borrow or rent these), a decorative endcap, mounting brackets and black spray paint. If you leave a small gap between the end of the tank and the wall you can mount the pipe to that, or down the stand depending on your setup. Next measure out where to put the bend ensuring you have enough horizontal distance to mount both lights off of it. Once you have the pipe bent drill the holes, two all the way through the pipe for the Prime hanging kits and two right next to them on the bottom side of the conduit only for the power cables. Once all that is done paint the pipe with several coats of paint and run a pair of strings through the pipe and use them to fish the power cables through the pipe. Mount the pipe up and then bolt the hanging kits up and mount the lights and then wrap the power cables around the support wires down to the lights. Plug everything in and viola a simple clean light mount for a peninsula tank with hidden wiring.
This is a great idea. thanks

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info about Logan. He hooked ne up
Logan @Reef Breeders has been great for me and so many others. I have pumps, powerheads, doser package, battery back ups and more from him. He is great for our hobby!

Back