A bunch of questions for you veteran fish keepers!

zimmertr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently decided I want to start a FOWLR aquarium with maybe a few low light corals. I’ve researched a ton and actually already posted another thread here. But to avoid the hassle of replying in an already pretty much dead thread, I figured I’d start another. So basically, I found a ton of awesome deals on Craigslist for fundamental equipment. I’m getting a 60 gallon cube with a stand for 50 dollars. This is where my first question is.

1) What should I do about cleaning and preparing this tank for my project? Should I just scrub it and clean it with freshwater or should I use something like white vinegar?

In addition to that, I’m also getting 103lbs of live rock, 40lbs of live sand, and up to ~80 gallons of “seasoned†saltwater for 100 dollars. The third thing I’m getting is a Reef Octopus RO-PS-1000int protein skimmer for 120 dollars.

2) My second question for you guys is what do you think about this skimmer? I can’t find very many reviews online for it.

3) Also, how many GPH is it rated at?

This skimmer is an insump only model which kind of sucks.. So that means I have to have a sump also even though I’m on a budget. I have a 10 gallon leader aquarium just sitting around that I plan on turning into my sump. It would have to house my heater, the skimmer, and bubble walls, right? It would be cool if it could house a refugeem but it probably doesn’t have enough space, right? I have a few questions about this:
Should I put a deep sand bed in it, shallow sand bed in it, or leave it bare bottomed?

4) If I put a deep sand bed in it will it require any maintenance?

5) Is there a good walkthrough on how to turn it into a sump? I’m really new at this and have never even seen a sump, so I only have a rough idea on what they look like.

Some other questions that I have revolving water:

6) Would it be wise to use the Craigslist person’s water to help “boost†the cycling of my tank?

7) Would it be okay to take enough of their water to completely fill my tank as long as the parameters check out and completely avoid buying and filling up my tank with fresh ro/di water?

8) Is there a way to check for diseases in their water they might not be telling me about?

9) If I don’t get any of their water, how would I go about mixing my own? I’ve read varied opinions on this matter but they mostly say that I should fill up 5 gallon buckets, mix in salt mix, and let sit with a powerhead for 6 hours. This seems like it would take days to fill up a tank though?

Another question that I have revolves around power filters. I know they’re pretty much a no no in the saltwater realm, but I have an old Cascade 100 filter that’s just sitting around.

10) Would it be wise to fill this with bio balls or activated carbon or something to help with filtration?

11) I understand I’d have to clean it thoroughly at least once a week to avoid an ammonia disaster, right?

Here is a breakdown of my equipment, what do you guys think about it? What parts would you change out? Do you have any reviews on any of the equipment or any reason to look for something else? Does it seem right for my ideal tank?

12) My apartment is kept at about 65 degrees, and I plan on having my heater set at 79 degrees. How much do you think this light will heat my water up if I leave it on 12 hours a day?

13) I’ve read that these Odyssea brand lights are prone to fire? Most of the posts seem to be really old though, so I assume they’ve fixed the issue? How much of an issue is it really?

14) It comes with a 250W 15000K Metal Halide bulb and 4 24watt Actinic Blue T5’s. Are these enough light for a few low light corals?

15) Do you guys think that 2600gph is enough circulation for my tank? It is a cube, so it might have more dead spots, right?

• 103lbs of Live Rock, 40lbs of Live Sand, and up to ~80 gallons of Salt Water.
16) Provided I conservatively avoid creating dead spots, eliminating swimming room, and overall clustering up the tank, would it be unwise to add all 103 lbs of rock to the tank? Is too much live rock a bad thing?

17) How much live rock should I put in my sump, ideally? I know it’s small, so a bunch probably won’t be able to fit.

18) Is 40lbs of live sand enough for a shallow sand bed?

19) Is this a good salt mix? Will it have the necessary amounts of calcium and other supplements that my tank needs?

20) Is an infrared thermometer worth looking into? I know that it won’t be able to break the surface of the water or read past the glass, so will it give accurate temperature readings?

21) Is this a good test kit for a beginner tank? I don’t plan on getting corals for a while.

22) The reviews seem mixed on this hydrometer, is there anything else in this price range that would be better?

• Overflow Box:
23) The previous owners of the tank I’m buying used it for freshwater fish. This makes me think that it was a model that wasn’t drilled to be reef ready. If this is the case when I finally pick it up, I’ll need and overflow box to use my sump. Which model should I look for? I have no idea about this part at all.. I just know I’d like to not spend a lot of money on it.

24) What do you guys think about the CPR CS90 600gph overflow box? Will this be too much or too little for my skimmer?

25) Is there any sort of DIY overflow box that I can make instead of buying one?

• Return Pump:
26) This goes hand in hand with the overflow box, and without being sure which box I’m going to get, I can’t really pick out a pump. If I get the CS90, would the Mag3 (350gph) be enough? Would the RIO 1700 (642gph) be better? I don’t want to overfill my tank or sump.. so I’m not really sure how to pick these components out..

• Piping:
27) Is buying the piping between the tank and the sump as simple as buying PVC pipe that fits? Do I have to worry about anything else?

28) Should I glue my pieces together to avoid leaks?

29) What do I do about the end of the pipe after coming from the return pump? Is there some sort of attachment I’m supposed to put at the end of it when it gets to my tank or do I just have a bare PVC pipe running into my tank, haha?

After all of this, I think the only questions I have left are regarding coral.

30) Would my light fixture be enough for a few corals? Which kinds? Just low light ones like mushrooms and bubble corals?

31) How long after having an established tank is it wise to wait before buying corals?

Thank you for reading all of this. I have a lot of questions, and hopefully you veterans can help me out a little. =] Any input, advice, or answers would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: My old thread can be found here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/ne...out-start-my-very-first-reef.html#post1164753

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a whole lot of questions! I can help with some.
9) If I don’t get any of their water, how would I go about mixing my own? I’ve read varied opinions on this matter but they mostly say that I should fill up 5 gallon buckets, mix in salt mix, and let sit with a powerhead for 6 hours. This seems like it would take days to fill up a tank though?
You can fill the tank with water and salt and have the tank's PH's and heater do the mixing for you for the initial fill. MPO is to not get the person's water, you have no idea what he may have put into it, very risky.

16) Provided I conservatively avoid creating dead spots, eliminating swimming room, and overall clustering up the tank, would it be unwise to add all 103 lbs of rock to the tank? Is too much live rock a bad thing?
You can never have too much live rock, but, I think that is too much. It is going to take up all of your tank!

21) Is this a good test kit for a beginner tank? I don’t plan on getting corals for a while.
Yes this is a good kit, I have it and love it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I am still new and only know so much. Good luck!

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these all from the same seller?
Don't need to use the old water.
Was the cube used as a saltwater tank?
Was any copper used in the tank?

OP
OP
Z

zimmertr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank, the live rock sand and water, and the protein skimmer are three seperate auctions.

The cube was used for freshwater.

They said no. Could be lying though.. I'll clean it thouroughly.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just scrub the tank. How dirty is it? Get a bigger sump tank. At least 20g. More room for equipment and backflow during power outages. Get the biggest tank you can afford and fit in your stand. How are you going to plumb it to the sump? Is it drilled already?

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use sand in your sump. If anything just chaeto or nothing till you get into the hobby a little more. If you do go with the 10g, for sure don't put sand. You wouldn't need baffles either. Probably just the skimmer, heater and return pump will fit.

Camellia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, a lot of questions, lol

Fill the tank with vinegar and water, add a power head and let it run for 3 to 5 days. This will clean it out and provide you with the confidence there are no leaks.

I would not start out a new tank with unknown anything! If you don't have a source that you know has a clean tank, let it cycle? It takes time but you will end up enjoying the hobby a lot more if you don't start of with unwanted Hichikkers.
While your tank is cycling it will give you time to read up on all those SW questions, lol.

Look on RO site or call them for GPH, they have so many skimmers but that's a good price if it works well.

eBay was selling the baffles for many tank sizes very reasonable or you can cut plexi yourself. Leave the baffles a little loose (not real snug) and use tons of silicone. Use reef safe silicone and make you a bubble baffle after you have all your equipment in place. It is a little small for fuge, possibly another 10 or a 5 gallon tank on top later could be used for this.

Find a LFS to get your bulk heads and other things you will need to make sump and return etc.

Yes, PVC is fine and yes you will need to glue it. You can also use flex hose just make sure is reef safe ( fish safe etc.)

After your tank is cycled add CUC, wait 30 days add 1 or 2 fish (I would add 1 cheap fish). It will take about 6 months for your tank to be established for corals.

The best thing you can do is read, read, read. You found a good place to get great info, enjoy its addicting!

API is fine to monitor your cycle but that's about all I would use it for.

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the biggest sump you can fit in your stand and still be able to get your skimmer into and out of easily. Don't add sand to the sump. 1-3 inches of sand in the display tank is typical. For the cost I'd just mix your own water. I use a 32 gallon Brute trash can because I have a large tank. For your tank you can buy 5g home depot buckets and have a much easier time adding salt and mixing the water (with a powerhead/pump) is easiest. Use the amount of liverock that you feel gives you enough room to add corals, taking into account some things you buy will come on rocks. Also giving your fish enough room to swim throughout the tank. This will also make sure you get good water flow. If you notice dead spots just add a powerhead if needed. A sump is basically just where you store all your equipment that you don't want to see in the display - heater(s)/skimmer/refugium (optional). You can also buy slow growing macro algae for your display (NOT chaeto). The easiest way to connect your tank and your sump is the flex tubing that comes in 1, 2, etc feet. You can use PVC but it'll require glue and more effort. Just make sure it's snug and not leaking. If you're going to buy the IO brand salt buy reef crystals. The salt you linked is for fish only systems. Your lighting is a lot for a 60 cube. I'd place it at least 8 or so inches away from the tank. Metal halides are hot and strong. I haven't used them so if I'm incorrect please let him/me know. Let your tank run w/o a heater for a day and see where the temp. is. Then you can use the heaters guide to see what wattage you'll need to raise it x degrees. If it's around 70 and you want it 79 then you'd need one that's rated to raise it 10 degrees. Two smaller heaters is safer in case one malfunctions and gets stuck in the on position. Do not use your can. filter. It'll be more trouble than it's worth and don't use bioballs at all. Invent $50 or so for a good refractometer instead of $15 for a hydrometer. They do the same thing but the refractometer is accurate and you can test it using RO to make sure it's always reading correctly. If your fish survive a week or two I'd say it's relatively safe to add the easier corals, like mushrooms. Waiting longer is always a good idea but if your water parameters are looking stable $5-20 to add a little color is fine. Go slow and ALWAYS read up on what you're going to buy no matter who tells you it's safe, me included. :) The slower you go the less money you'll waste on things dying and the more you'll enjoy the hobby as things survive and grow. Here is a guide I used often early in the hobby and less so now. Xtalreef - Reef Saltwater Aquarium I feel like I wrote an essay so if there is something I didn't cover or someone above me, feel free to re-ask or google it.

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick tip, if your tank if scummy (white film on it) use freshwater and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the glass (if its glass?) and it should help take that crap off. I use these when I do my monthly algae scrub down. They shouldnt leave anything behind chemical wise and dont scratch anything, just make sure you get the original ones, not the ones that have added stuff.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back