Mangrove

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been wanting to get a mangrove tree for my tank just to have one. I think there so pretty.
Here’s a picture of my tank. I have egg crate on top. I don’t want it in my sump. Any ideas where I can put one and also advice and suggestions how to grow one?
IMG_4605.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been wanting to get a mangrove tree for my tank just to have one. I think there so pretty.
Here’s a picture of my tank. I have egg crate on top. I don’t want it in my sump. Any ideas where I can put one and also advice and suggestions how to grow one?
IMG_4605.jpeg
If you want my honest opinion, your tank is too deep to add a mangrove. Mangroves are happiest when their roots can enjoy the substrate. They can have their roots free hanging in the water, but it will not be as healthy or happy. Here a photo of my refugium for an “ideal” situation, for what it’s worth…

1716695539848.jpeg

1716695558906.jpeg

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want my honest opinion, your tank is too deep to add a mangrove. Mangroves are happiest when their roots can enjoy the substrate. They can have their roots free hanging in the water, but it will not be as healthy or happy. Here a photo of my refugium for an “ideal” situation, for what it’s worth…

1716695539848.jpeg

1716695558906.jpeg
Do they make stuff I can hang to have to one?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A mangrove tank is on my bucket list, so I wish you the best on this journey! I almost bought a 50g ZooMed lowboy last weekend, but realized that I am not ready to take this on right now. You may try using the R2R forum search feature to search for mangrove tanks. I remember several being post over the years. Good luck with whatever you choose!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they make stuff I can hang to have to one?
Yeah, you can figure out ways to hang the mangrove higher in the tank - hanging a basket on the back of the tank, you can nestle a basket down by the top of the rockwork, you can suspend one from the egg crate or from the ceiling with fishing line or similar running between the lights and through the egg crate, etc.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, here is what I did: I planted the mangrove in a tupperware, in a layer of AF bio mud then a layer of sand, then put the tupperware onto some rocks, so that the tree was elevated and the leaves were out of the water.

It grew for a year, then I put the tupperware on the sand. The leaves that were in the water died, but the leaves on top have multiplied and the tree gets taller.

Now its almost 2 years old, and I have been trying to figure out how to get it out of the tupperware, I'm stuck here.

I don't think this was a great idea but its what I did.

1716734878262.png

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always planted my mangrove propagules, but inland reef who has some amazing mangrove tanks just sticks his in front of lots of flow and lets the roots grow down.

Tyler was on Reef Therapy talking about mangroves, highly recommend

Back