• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EAsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google coast-to coast images and you will find images with measurements and various bean animal modifications

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I see images with 10", 9", 8" 6.5" and even shallower. Not much of help there. I'm looking to hear reasoning why one went with whatever depth they did.

I think too tall a box would be detrimental because of large water volume and weight in the box. In addition, water flowing into the external box would creating waterfall effect and noise/salt spray.

Too shallow a box and the pipes may create suction noise unless they have 2 x 90'degree elbows sucking water from the bottom of the overflow.

I tend to think somewhere along the lines of 6.5 - 8" and the most, I'd like some confirmations before I proceed.

EAsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a custom 150 gallon rimless tank built right now and . . . now you have now have me worried. :)

My tank is 60x25.5x24, my external CTC runs the entire back wall, and the external overflow is 5 inches front to back and 10 inches deep, per my desire to add a lid over the overflow. The designer originally indicated 5 " front to back and 6" deep with an open top and added the extra inches to keep the pipes lower in the box to permit using a cover. He said the external portion would hold the water with no problem. In the CTC external box, I am using Bean Animal. I have five holes being drilled with the three in middle at 1.5" and 1" holes on each end for return pvc pipe using 90s with siphon holes and ¾” loclines to go through the teeth rather than over the top due to the lid.

Yes, I have read the yeas and nays about using teeth or just a smooth overflow. However, in my current 90 gallon durso system with 11" overflow box with teeth, everything is fine outside of the occasionally gurgle and burp :) so I will be thrilled with a 60" CTC with teeth! I also using clear silicone rather than black for my seams, which is another nerve-racking decision! I am still a noob in my 4th year so yes I still make many mistakes every week if not every day!

Reading too much in forums drives me crazy considering for every positive- there are two negatives! In this hobby, we have to make a decision and stick with it, whether right or wrong.:rolleyes:

U

User1

View Badges
I also have a tank from Concept Aquarium from Calgary. However, both yours and mine are modified Coast to Coast because of the slots. You want a smooth weir, not the grooves.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5'x2'x2' SCA 150 with a central internal overflow with plumbing going through bottom of tank. I have regretted everything about the setup except for the price. I've been wanting to transform into a Peninsula with a coast to coast external overflow. Also the tank comes with 3 1" bulkhead holes so I have no choice but to have Herbie drain with one 1" return. If I transform into coast to coast, I will be able to accommodate two 1" returns and a bean animal drain. I recently moved from Augusta, GA to Detroit. During the move, my daughters skateboard shifted and broke the top of my side panel of the tank.
20190831_123953.jpg

I've been thinking that now would be a good time to modify the tank for coast to coast. I was thinking that I could carefully remove th broken piece. Take it to a glass shop and have it cut down to be a smooth Weir. Then have some new 1/4" glass cut for my external overflow box. One problem I see is that the tank is eurobraced so after this modification I would only have 3 sides of eurobracing. Maybe I could eurobrace that side just below the water line. Or maybe an internal overflow box could perform the structural function of eurobracing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back