A couple basic equipment questions

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Black Friday sales are starting to pop up, I'm planning to drop mucho casho on some stuff that I'd rather not buy used. My first question has to do with the best way to move water in a trash bin while curing rock. Can I get away with a good air stone, or should I go the route of a cheap powerhead, or even a cheap return-type pump that I can add some PVC to in order to direct its flow? Maybe a combination of an air stone and a cheap powerhead? This rock is going to be de-funking in this bin for a WHILE, so I'm not in any hurry to flush it all out in a flash. Heck, I don't even have the tank yet.

Second question: The plan is to get a 120g tank, and I'm DIYing a 40b sump. I want to use filter socks. Do I get 4" socks, or 7" socks? And how long? There are apparently short ones and longer ones. I'm guessing the bigger ones take longer to clog?

Thanks for your input! I may edit this post later if I think of something else to ask! :p

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Black Friday sales are starting to pop up, I'm planning to drop mucho casho on some stuff that I'd rather not buy used. My first question has to do with the best way to move water in a trash bin while curing rock. Can I get away with a good air stone, or should I go the route of a cheap powerhead, or even a cheap return-type pump that I can add some PVC to in order to direct its flow? Maybe a combination of an air stone and a cheap powerhead? This rock is going to be de-funking in this bin for a WHILE, so I'm not in any hurry to flush it all out in a flash. Heck, I don't even have the tank yet.

Second question: The plan is to get a 120g tank, and I'm DIYing a 40b sump. I want to use filter socks. Do I get 4" socks, or 7" socks? And how long? There are apparently short ones and longer ones. I'm guessing the bigger ones take longer to clog?

Thanks for your input! I may edit this post later if I think of something else to ask! :p

For moving water in a curing container, I have used an old pump from when I first joined the hobby until it broke. How I use my original return pump (although it costs more to run). No complex plumbling is needed, just drop it in and get some circulation. While airstones may work, I like to force more water movement to assist with dislodging organic material.

As far as filter socks, I have always run 7" socks. The thing to keep in mind here is the cost of replacements and the fact that you will need to pull them every few days to remove organics before they start to break down (so clogging should not be a concern since you should have removed them way before this happens to clean).

It might also be worth looking into some of our vendors sump options. I have never personally purchased one, but after spending money on a 40b and getting glass cut + silicone, you might be able to invest a little bit more for a very nice sump. Food for thought, but I'm a DIYer at heart so I get the urge to build also!

Good luck with your build!

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as socks it also depends on your sump design. I use the 4" socks but my design is an overflow type, so the overflow pipes sit low in the tank (underwater) and the water overflows into the sock chamber. The 4" socks fit better (hang freely) without having them foldover at the bottom. this create a vitually quiet overflow, without any splashing and salt creep, makes for a harder sock swap though because I have to reach into the water (ot at least at the top of the water if the return is shut off) to get to them

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For moving water in a curing container, I have used an old pump from when I first joined the hobby until it broke.
Hmm, the tricky bit here is that since I'm just getting started, I have no old or leftover equipment just yet. So you suggest going with a cheapish return pump? I'll be pressure washing the rock before dumping it in the bin, so I'm not terribly worried about needing the water circulating hard enough to dislodge solid material.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, the tricky bit here is that since I'm just getting started, I have no old or leftover equipment just yet. So you suggest going with a cheapish return pump? I'll be pressure washing the rock before dumping it in the bin, so I'm not terribly worried about needing the water circulating hard enough to dislodge solid material.

Well, unfortunately for me, when I started I did not get the best advice and purchased some not-so-great equipment that had very limited functional use once I learned more and got more serious about keeping coral :)

That said, my recommendation would be to purchase a power head or a return pump that you see yourself using for multiple functions. For example, it is always key to have backup equipment (if a return pump of power head goes out). For some people that means if they run an Ecotech Vortech MP40's in their tanks, they can buy multiple to keep extras on hand. For some of the more money constrained (or sensible haha), it may make more sense to have a less expensive backup option.

The return pump I use in my curing system is the same pump I use for doing large water changes (moving water from my storage into my tank) as well as a backup in case the main return pump fails. Hope this helps!

Back