A couple general questions

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, today I have a couple questions that have been on my mind for a couple days. My tank is a reefer 350 for reference.
First question, Thinking ahead for when I get a protein skimmer I might run a bit low in space in my sump. Would there be any issues putting a refugium in the same compartment as my heater?

Second question regarding hawkfish, definitely gonna have some cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, emerald crabs, hermits, snails, maybe porcelain nem crab. Do you think I’ be flushing money adding a flame hawk?

Probably going to have LPS, SPS, and softies and been cobsidering an anemone, however I have heard stories or anemones detaching and stinging lots or corals. Any type of anemone that wont do this, also what would the best way to add an anemone be. I know a lot of people use bubble tips, but what type would you recommend?

My last question right now regards tangs.
Going to have a one spot foxface in here and was really hoping to get a tang in there. Any type you wpuld recommend that wouldn’t have to be rehomed? If there is no tang that would work without needing a rehome what tang would you recommend?

All answers appreciated, thanks is advance

FD976254-9CA7-4F09-8A0E-830245B5AF0B.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes, you can have a heater in your refugium.
2. I would skip the hawkfish if you want to keep all those inverts. There are individuals that are well behaved, but they are exceptions, the vast majority will go after inverts.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - not sure about the hawkfish
Second - I had a Hawaiian Punch nem years ago and I fed him daily so he didn’t move . You have to be careful not to put direct current on them . I’d put him in first and let him find its spot but like most things that are hit or miss there’s no guarantee.
I think you’d be fine with a kole tang anything else will get tooth too fast and will require more room to swim .
Last which actually should have been first is as long as you skimmer is far enough away as to not melt you should be fine

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no anemones that stay put 100% of the time, you just have to hope they’ll stay put and move corals that are in the direct path of a moving anemone. I would recommend bubble tips if you’re not experienced with anemones, they’re the hardiest (outside of rock flowers and maxi minis). As far as adding it, just float it and then put directly into the tank, you don’t want to drip acclimate corals and anemones (but do for fish and inverts).

The only tangs that can live long term in a 90 gallon are some of the smaller Ctenochaetus species (bristletooth tangs like the kole, tomini, etc), Acanthurus species (powder brown and powder blue tangs), and some of the Zebrasoma species (yellow, purple, scopas, etc., but not the sailfin). There may be some others, but those the most common smaller species.

OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only tangs that can live long term in a 90 gallon are some of the smaller Ctenochaetus species (bristletooth tangs like the kole, tomini, etc), Acanthurus species (powder brown and powder blue tangs), and some of the Zebrasoma species (yellow, purple, scopas, etc., but not the sailfin). There may be some others, but those the most common smaller species.
Tank is only 73 gallons in dt, but still 4 feet long. Curious to see what others think about Acanthurus in her because a guy at my lfs said the same.

If im gonna have clowns is it worth the risk to go for the nem in your opinion?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no anemones that stay put 100% of the time, you just have to hope they’ll stay put and move corals that are in the direct path of a moving anemone. I would recommend bubble tips if you’re not experienced with anemones, they’re the hardiest (outside of rock flowers and maxi minis). As far as adding it, just float it and then put directly into the tank, you don’t want to drip acclimate corals and anemones (but do for fish and inverts).

I very much disagree with Acanthurus tangs being suitable for a 3' or 4' tank. They need a ton of swimming room and even then can be terrors.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much disagree with Acanthurus tangs being suitable for a 3' or 4' tank. They need a ton of swimming room and even then can be terrors.
All tangs need tons of swimming room, and I never said any of these species would be okay in a 3’ tank. I think some of the smaller Acanthurus species would be okay in a 4’ tank (powder brown, powder blue, convict, zebra, white cheek), 4’ world be the bare minimum. Aggression is always going to be a potential issue in keeping pretty much any tang with another tang or conspecific, you just have to stock the tank appropriately.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is only 73 gallons in dt, but still 4 feet long. Curious to see what others think about Acanthurus in her because a guy at my lfs said the same.

If im gonna have clowns is it worth the risk to go for the nem in your opinion?
Personally, I don’t see the point in having clownfish if you’re not going to keep an anemone. That said, they do have specific care requirements and can be terrorists if you’re keeping other corals. But, so long as your water chemistry is in check and you have adequate lighting, they’re not too difficult to keep, it’s just the wandering and warfare with corals that is the main issue.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone loves tangs (well, except maybe me), but a dwarf angel and any number of wrasses will be more suitable than most tangs for a 4' tank.
But the dwarf angel doesn't have nearly as much utility, and limits reef stocking (OPs list especially), compared to a Ctenochaetus tang.

On the flip side, people are a little dismissive about the space Ctenochaetus need and their aggression, definitely should be done with caution.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, today I have a couple questions that have been on my mind for a couple days. My tank is a reefer 350 for reference.
First question, Thinking ahead for when I get a protein skimmer I might run a bit low in space in my sump. Would there be any issues putting a refugium in the same compartment as my heater?

Second question regarding hawkfish, definitely gonna have some cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, emerald crabs, hermits, snails, maybe porcelain nem crab. Do you think I’ be flushing money adding a flame hawk?

Probably going to have LPS, SPS, and softies and been cobsidering an anemone, however I have heard stories or anemones detaching and stinging lots or corals. Any type of anemone that wont do this, also what would the best way to add an anemone be. I know a lot of people use bubble tips, but what type would you recommend?

My last question right now regards tangs.
Going to have a one spot foxface in here and was really hoping to get a tang in there. Any type you wpuld recommend that wouldn’t have to be rehomed? If there is no tang that would work without needing a rehome what tang would you recommend?

All answers appreciated, thanks is advance

FD976254-9CA7-4F09-8A0E-830245B5AF0B.jpeg
I think either a foxface or tang, not both. And while foxface are awesome and less aggressive, all foxface/rabbitfish just get too big for a 4' tank of that volume... in my opinion.

OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think either a foxface or tang, not both. And while foxface are awesome and less aggressive, all foxface/rabbitfish just get too big for a 4' tank of that volume... in my opinion.
Do you have experience keeping Ctenochaetus tangs or foxfaces in tanks this size?

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have experience keeping Ctenochaetus tangs or foxfaces in tanks this size?
Yes, my tank is about that size and I have kept both. I have decided that Ctenochaetus is all I will try, because even at 6" the foxface was just too big and not even full grown. Love their mellow attitude and when they go camouflaged though, and never have really worried about being stung. I currently have a squaretail/gold ring tang in my tank.

OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my tank is about that size and I have kept both. I have decided that Ctenochaetus is all I will try, because even at 6" the foxface was just too big and not even full grown. Love their mellow attitude and when they go camouflaged though, and never have really worried about being stung. I currently have a squaretail/gold ring tang in my tank.
Alright, any other fish on the slightly larger side that may work in this setup?Was hoping to get 2 bigger guys in there.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, any other fish on the slightly larger side that may work in this setup?Was hoping to get 2 bigger guys in there.
I wish there were great options. Potentially some genicanthus angelfish can fill that gap, but they can be expensive and still too big IMO. I have settled on wrasse, cardinalfish, clownfish, and chromis as my main stocking fish (and one per species except the clownfish pair), with the single tang and smaller sized anthia (sunburst) as the borderline "big tank" fish. Luckily I love wrasse :grinning-squinting-face:

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to ask earlier, but I’m guessing it was a one spot?

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All tangs need tons of swimming room, and I never said any of these species would be okay in a 3’ tank. I think some of the smaller Acanthurus species would be okay in a 4’ tank (powder brown, powder blue, convict, zebra, white cheek), 4’ world be the bare minimum. Aggression is always going to be a potential issue in keeping pretty much any tang with another tang or conspecific, you just have to stock the tank appropriately.
Surprised you mention the powders- I would think convict, mimic and lavender would be the only considerations from that genus

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back