Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ACRO EATING FLAT WORMS

my friendhas what apears to be them (bite marks on 20% of his acros

has anyone got rid of this pest and what did you do?

we are going to do a dip and blow off a few corals to see if it is the problem or that the colonys are not getting enough flow (he has plenty of flow he just doesnt want to believe it)

naturebat

Toad Licker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still nothing definitive. The options are the trash, TMPCC, levamisole, or fluke tabs. Although it's very disturbing to hear Joe Bulger has been recently infected.

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ACRO EATING FLAT WORMS

my friendhas what apears to be them (bite marks on 20% of his acros

has anyone got rid of this pest and what did you do?

we are going to do a dip and blow off a few corals to see if it is the problem or that the colonys are not getting enough flow (he has plenty of flow he just doesnt want to believe it)

Yes, i got rid of them by dipping and QT w/ TMPCC. If you are going to dip you will need to scrape off the eggs. The dips will not kill the eggs.

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS has a product called prazipro I think that worked very well for him!
But yes also use a tooth brish to scrub everywhere at the base also.

I would definatly get at least a six line wrasse and maybe a African Radient Wrasse if you tank can suport it?

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Levamisole last march on them. I didn't get them again... However, I lost 85-90% of my acros in the process (kill the food source, kill the pest, right). I attribute the 'not getting them again' to TMPCC dips and QT. I also break them off of the spacer rock they are grown on to reduce the likelihood of getting eggs in. Weekly dips and inspections before going back into the main display. Pull them from the main display for around 4 weeks to make everything in the tank starve. Not the easiest thing to do when they attach and encrust to the rock structure, though. I think what hurt me in the Levamisole treatment was that I didn;t detach some of the larger piece from the live rock and dosed it all. The levamisole seemed to stick in the rocks and seemed to keep a constant level of medication coming out of the rocks. No definite proof of that, but when I treated Monti's for nudis, I was able to only put the corals in (no rock) and they all did fine. It took a lot longer for me to feel confortable with the nudi issue (6-8 weeks cause those gusy are hard to kill in the display and on coral). Good luck with it. QT QT QT in the future. When you have to break your tank down to kill a parasite because you were too eager to get it in the main display, you quickly learn your lesson... I did. This is not going to be a fun process. As a stop gap, he/she could just frag the crap out of everythign and dip the frags and hold in a different system until they die off in the display. That reduces the likelihood of eggs sticking around or making it into the QT.

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would've been Chad posting under my name. It's not me and it's not chadfarmer. He needs to locate the logout button prior to posting so that he can sign in as himself. If that fails I guess the grammar is enough to distinguish between us ;)

Back