A few of my favorite fish

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my stocking list for my 5’ 525xI tank.

Having been in the hobby for over 30 years, I have developed a specific preferences for my reef tanks.
  • Working fish, because they help maintain the tank
  • Big personality fish, because they are interesting to watch
  • Colorful fish, because they add to the beauty of the tank
  • Smaller fish, because they make the tank look like a bigger ecosystem
Here's where I ended up…from my favorite to least favorite.

I'll start with 2 of my favorite fish that I'm still trying to be successful with Orange Spotted Filefish (OSF) and the Copper-Banded Butterfly Fish (CBB). Over the last 3 years, I've been able to keep them for several months at a time, but no long term success due to mysterious deaths.
  1. OSF - by far my favorite fish. So unique and reminds me of a humming bird. I even developed a acclimation and weaning protocol.
  2. CBB - meets all my criteria (working, big personality, colorful, and stays relatively small).
  3. Blue Spotted Jawfish - my vote for best personality in my tank. It setup shop at the front of my tank and behaves like a mini eel. It’s constantly on the lookout, rebuilding it’s cave, and going out and about. If this fish setup shop in the back where it was hidden…it would be one of my least favorite fish. Truly needs a well fitting lid as my 1st one jumped out through a very small gap in my lid.
  4. Whitetail Brisstletooth Tang – this is one of the 1st fish I added to my tank. Very calm for a Tang and cleans well. Love the spotted face with yellow rimmed eyes, and red-striped body. Online pictures don’t do this Tang justice.
  5. Candy Basslet - the only fish I successfully brought over from my old tank. I consider this my hardiest fish. It took about 18 months for this recluse to feel comfortable in the tank and be present…and wow…amazing colors.
  6. Tinkeri Butterflyfish – this is a future fish I’m looking to acquire. I’m not quite ready to give up on the CBB, but these should be easier to keep. Based on pictures it’s a stunning fish I’d like to keep.
  7. Leopard Wrasse – probably my favorite looking Wrasse that does a decent job with potential pests. Has some nice orange and light blue colors that adds to the tank.
  8. Blotched Anthias – I love fish that remind me of Dr. Sues fish. Others find it ugly….
  9. Flame Angel – small reef safe Angel Fish that adds a great splash of red
  10. Blue Hippo Tang – I tried a Powder Brown Tang as I liked its colors best, but couldn’t stand it’s hyperactivity. I settled on the Blue Hippo instead and really love the striking blue it adds. Much calmer and helps with algae…it will eventually get too big for my taste and I will rehome and get another to raise.
  11. Marine Betta – I also enjoy watching the tank at night and early morning. This is a great addition for this as it’s most active at these times.
  12. Bicolor Blenny – another fish with personality that likes to hang around rock work. I may replace this with a Midas Blenny…I think their color may be a little more interesting.
  13. Blue Striped Pipe Fish – a great little fish that is most active during the night and early mornings.
  14. Clown Fish – no tank is complete without one of these. Great personality with their funny swimming and anemone relationship.
  15. Purple Dart Fish – Purple is my favorite color.
  16. 5 x Cardinals – This is a filler fish for me. I like the silver and black and that they occasionally shole together.
  17. Possum Wrasse – Looked better in pictures...if I catch it, I’m looking to get a Mystery Wrasse.
  18. Orange Stripe Goby Pistol Shrimp Pair – a cool concept…but setup shop in the back of the tank…I may glimpse these guys every couple of months. If I could catch these guys, they would probably get trader out for something more fun.

elm03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my stocking list for my 5’ 525xI tank.

Having been in the hobby for over 30 years, I have developed a specific preferences for my reef tanks.
  • Working fish, because they help maintain the tank
  • Big personality fish, because they are interesting to watch
  • Colorful fish, because they add to the beauty of the tank
  • Smaller fish, because they make the tank look like a bigger ecosystem
Here's where I ended up…from my favorite to least favorite.

I'll start with 2 of my favorite fish that I'm still trying to be successful with Orange Spotted Filefish (OSF) and the Copper-Banded Butterfly Fish (CBB). Over the last 3 years, I've been able to keep them for several months at a time, but no long term success due to mysterious deaths.
  1. OSF - by far my favorite fish. So unique and reminds me of a humming bird. I even developed a acclimation and weaning protocol.
  2. CBB - meets all my criteria (working, big personality, colorful, and stays relatively small).
  3. Blue Spotted Jawfish - my vote for best personality in my tank. It setup shop at the front of my tank and behaves like a mini eel. It’s constantly on the lookout, rebuilding it’s cave, and going out and about. If this fish setup shop in the back where it was hidden…it would be one of my least favorite fish. Truly needs a well fitting lid as my 1st one jumped out through a very small gap in my lid.
  4. Whitetail Brisstletooth Tang – this is one of the 1st fish I added to my tank. Very calm for a Tang and cleans well. Love the spotted face with yellow rimmed eyes, and red-striped body. Online pictures don’t do this Tang justice.
  5. Candy Basslet - the only fish I successfully brought over from my old tank. I consider this my hardiest fish. It took about 18 months for this recluse to feel comfortable in the tank and be present…and wow…amazing colors.
  6. Tinkeri Butterflyfish – this is a future fish I’m looking to acquire. I’m not quite ready to give up on the CBB, but these should be easier to keep. Based on pictures it’s a stunning fish I’d like to keep.
  7. Leopard Wrasse – probably my favorite looking Wrasse that does a decent job with potential pests. Has some nice orange and light blue colors that adds to the tank.
  8. Blotched Anthias – I love fish that remind me of Dr. Sues fish. Others find it ugly….
  9. Flame Angel – small reef safe Angel Fish that adds a great splash of red
  10. Blue Hippo Tang – I tried a Powder Brown Tang as I liked its colors best, but couldn’t stand it’s hyperactivity. I settled on the Blue Hippo instead and really love the striking blue it adds. Much calmer and helps with algae…it will eventually get too big for my taste and I will rehome and get another to raise.
  11. Marine Betta – I also enjoy watching the tank at night and early morning. This is a great addition for this as it’s most active at these times.
  12. Bicolor Blenny – another fish with personality that likes to hang around rock work. I may replace this with a Midas Blenny…I think their color may be a little more interesting.
  13. Blue Striped Pipe Fish – a great little fish that is most active during the night and early mornings.
  14. Clown Fish – no tank is complete without one of these. Great personality with their funny swimming and anemone relationship.
  15. Purple Dart Fish – Purple is my favorite color.
  16. 5 x Cardinals – This is a filler fish for me. I like the silver and black and that they occasionally shole together.
  17. Possum Wrasse – Looked better in pictures...if I catch it, I’m looking to get a Mystery Wrasse.
  18. Orange Stripe Goby Pistol Shrimp Pair – a cool concept…but setup shop in the back of the tank…I may glimpse these guys every couple of months. If I could catch these guys, they would probably get trader out for something more fun.
Mine is probably a trigger fish, they are so goofy looking. I hope to be able to get a big tank in the future so I can have one!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Favorite are:
Yellow tang
YellowTang2019052801.jpg

Powder Blue tang
PowderBlueTang2019062403.jpg

Purple tang
PurpleTang2020032203.jpg

Convict tang.
Copper-banded butterfly
CBB2021052302.jpg

Fox Face Lo
Regal Angel
Flame angel
FlameAngel2019080501MaleNuptial.jpg

Meleagris Leopard Angel
Black Leopard Angel
BlackLeopardWrasse2020032202.jpg

Harlequin Tusk
Naokoe Fairy Wrasse
NaokoFairy2019092401.jpg

Melanurus Wrasse
Radiant Wrasse
RadiantWrasse2021012303.jpg

Blue Throat Fairy wrasse
BlueThroatFairy2019040401 - Copy.jpg

Diamond tail Flasher Wrasse
P attenuatus2020113001.jpg

Eight-line Flasher wrasse
EightlineFlasher2019061603POTMContest.jpg

China Wrasse (Half Black Wrasse)

Green-Blue Mandarin pair
Percular clowns
I am sure I missed a few or a lot since I have such many favorites. ChinaWrasse2022012008Male.jpg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Favorite are:
Yellow tang
YellowTang2019052801.jpg

Powder Blue tang
PowderBlueTang2019062403.jpg

Purple tang
PurpleTang2020032203.jpg

Convict tang.
Copper-banded butterfly
CBB2021052302.jpg

Fox Face Lo
Regal Angel
Flame angel
FlameAngel2019080501MaleNuptial.jpg

Meleagris Leopard Angel
Black Leopard Angel
BlackLeopardWrasse2020032202.jpg

Harlequin Tusk
Naokoe Fairy Wrasse
NaokoFairy2019092401.jpg

Melanurus Wrasse
Radiant Wrasse
RadiantWrasse2021012303.jpg

Blue Throat Fairy wrasse
BlueThroatFairy2019040401 - Copy.jpg

Diamond tail Flasher Wrasse
P attenuatus2020113001.jpg

Eight-line Flasher wrasse
EightlineFlasher2019061603POTMContest.jpg

China Wrasse (Half Black Wrasse)

Green-Blue Mandarin pair
Percular clowns
I am sure I missed a few or a lot since I have such many favorites. ChinaWrasse2022012008Male.jpg
Love your flame angel!!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of my Flame angels. Normal resting coloration and nuptial coloration and spawning pictures.

Female (I have a harem of 4 in my tank)
flameangel2019052801-jpg.3032275

Male
flameangel2020030501male-jpg.3032281

Nuptial Male. It is not easy to take pictures of these guys when they are courting and going through pre--spawn ritual.
flameangel2019080501malenuptial-jpg.3032278

The pair spawning. You can see the flame coloration of the male clearly in this picture too.
flameangel2019082503paircourtship-jpg.3032279

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of my Flame angels. Normal resting coloration and nuptial coloration and spawning pictures.

Female (I have a harem of 4 in my tank)
flameangel2019052801-jpg.3032275

Male
flameangel2020030501male-jpg.3032281

Nuptial Male. It is not easy to take pictures of these guys when they are courting and going through pre--spawn ritual.
flameangel2019080501malenuptial-jpg.3032278

The pair spawning. You can see the flame coloration of the male clearly in this picture too.
flameangel2019082503paircourtship-jpg.3032279
How long have you had them?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them?
The 0ldest two I started out were two very young Juveniles ordered from Live Aquaria in 7/2017. I ordered 5 but 3 were DOA. two more were added as juv. over the next several years (Petco's fish I bought when tiny ones come in). Don't know the exact date.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back