A few questions before cycling: skimmer, LED's, & current

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to start cycling my new reef tank in the next few days and I've been getting mixed reviews on whether or not to fire the skimmer up during this process or not? Skim from the very beginning, start skimming a few weeks in, or don't turn it on until you add your CUC?

Next two questions are on equipment set up. I just need a place to start from and I can tweak from there. I have 3 radion 30's and 2 mp40's(if I told you what I paid you wouldn't believe me) for my 165 gallon, does anyone have experience with any of that? What's a good height above the water to set the lights? I have a 30 inch depth in my tank, how high should I run those to reach the bottom of the tank and not be too bright up top? Lastly with the mp40's, my tank is 6 feet long, should I set them directly aposing each other off set them for the best circulation?

Travis91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new as well but with the powerheads I would offset slightly on opposite side of the tank. To get the water column the best flow. As far as lights go I honestly am not sure but from my lights I have whites turned down low and blues double. So 5 white 15 blue until you get a feel for you're coral and they acclimate to your lights. Once they acclimate you can move them around to find the best place that makes them happy! Just be mindful not to blast with the lights as this can lead to bleaching.

Travis91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for the skimmer I would leave off I just put in my reef octopus 150 int yesterday and I just completed my cycle in 34 days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back