A fish you just don't like?

Boops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you've had bad luck with your guy! I can't say the same. I bought one he was awesome until he made a rock slide and committed suicide... My next one withered away, the next jumped out a tiny hole in back of lid and I found him the next day . Now my one that I wish I wouldn't have gotten is the blue damsel. I bought a pair for my 65gallon, well the one that is alive now killed my nice one . I'll never get another one no matter how pretty it is!
Which fish do you mean?

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is a great reminder to research every animal we put into our tanks. Years ago I added a six line wrasse and he was a complete jerk. While tying to remove it I THEN started googling problems with a six line and found no shortage of others having the same issues. When I first started in the hobby, I bought most of my fish on impulse and quickly learned that most of these animals are ******s. Now when I consider a fish to introduce I start by searching "problems with [fill in the blank] fish" . I trust the wisdom of the members from the online community more than the desire of a LFS to sell a fish.
For the record, I do feel most LFS do their best to inform their customers but not all are perfect.

Mallweiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree with the people who said 'pajama cardinals'. They're ugly and don't look interesting, and people who have actually kept them say they aren't. The ones I've seen in videos / LFS just sit there and don't interact with anything or swim around. Like they have no personality.

If you have a mated pair of pj cardinals they interact nicely with each other and are less boring. The males and females also develop a distinctive appearance and size difference. Frequently I catch the male mouth brooding which is a unique for my repertoire of fish.

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pajama cardinals.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone thought "oh that's cool I want to keep those. I'm going to take it out of the ocean and NOT eat it."

I know kind of harsh. But seriously it's ugly and does nothing, they barely even react when you feed them!
They're boring, plain, ugly fish that should never have been kept.

+1

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. From the get go I wanted a goby of some kind. I like fish that have a job. I haven't been able to get one because I haven't had a lid on my tank and didn't want one to jump out. I finally got my lid situation taken care of and off to the store I went.I bought a beautiful diamond watchman goby. I was super excited. Got him in the DT two weeks ago. He seemed totally cool. Going around scooping sand. Did some digging in a couple of spots and settled in under a big rock formation right in the middle. Since then I've seen him out sifting sand once and he came out one more time for just a second. I can see him through the glass bottom of the tank moving around and he pops his head out and eats pellets. I'm just ticked off. My most anticipated addition has turned out to be a reclusive cave dweller that I never see. Not to mention, he's not doing his job, my sand is looking like crap. My wife has never seen him lol.

If you ever try again, I have a yellow head sleeper goby. I thought he would hug the bottom but he actually spends most of the time near the top of the water column. Then dive bombs for bites of sand.

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a maroon clown that was a real *******. Killed all the other fish in the tank other than a lunar wrasse. Waited for it to die then started a brand new tank with peaceful fish and I'm much happier this time around.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis, bleh...
Pajama and bangai cardinals... Do they ever move?

At what point did everyone start having problems with their six line? How long had it been in the tank? How big was it? What were it's tank makes? I can't see how everyone says a six line is aggressive. Mine is a model citizen. My female clown on the other hand is the tank bully, but she is over twice the size of the little six line. She even bullied a 3" Atlantic blue tang, but they get along now.

GillsGoneWild

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to rotate on a daily basis with the fish. Most recently we hated our male spotbreast angel after he snapped and and started beating his girlfriend nearly to death. They'd been together for 18 months without a problem, then one day it's like he blew a gasket. She got a restraining order against him and lives in our shallow reef.
Our purple tang, aka; Queen *****Toria...is frequently on the Dislike List only because she's the boss and hates everyone else in the tank. Thankfully she doesn't hate us...yet.
The female Spotcinctus clown is on the hate list after killing her boyfriend last week. He was WAY cuter than she is.
Our yellow wrasse, because picking him up off the tile floor is getting old very quickly. 8 times, as of last week. And we have a secure lid! I swear he waits for it to come off and then...Geronimoooooooooooo!
(Incidentally, our sixline wrasse is a perfect gentleman, but I think it's because the yellow wrasse is twice his size and keeps him in check.)

But the critter that is always on Today's List of Hated Inhabitants is the skunk cleaner shrimp. Feeding the bubble tip anemones, elegance coral or trachyphyllia goes like this: 1) Turn off flow. 2) Place food on critter to be fed. 3) Immediately grab long stick of rigid airline tubing. 4) Spend the next twenty minutes whacking the shrimp as it tries to steal the food, even if it is deep in the mouth of the anemones or coral. If she was delicate in her food extraction, like a surgeon, it wouldn't concern me so much...unfortunately she's more like a rabid butcher with a bad case of tremors and a cleaver in each hand...err, claw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinggeorge818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish that have bothered me are:

Sohal Tang (was a model citizen for a while and then started tearing apart his Tang friends...it was a 565 gallon tank!)

Six Line wrasse (they hate fairy wrasses)

Maroon/Tomatoe clowns (they bite)

Danny McElroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame back angel that was an absolute bully, he terrorized everyone in the tank constantly even though he was only 1 of 11 total fish in a 175 gallon system. He chased a powder blue around until it died from stress and then went to work on my regal angel which is when I hit my limit and nearly had to break the tank down to catch him and get him out.

I isolated him in the sump for a month, then put him back in the main display hoping the other fish had gotten healthy and staked out their territory.

It didn't make any difference, he immediately went back to his reign of terror so when I caught him the second time he was flushed down the toilet!!'

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tribal blenny. Cool looking fish with loads of personality.....until he started eating SPS. Killed a couple of decent size frags of acropora, then made a plate size chilli pepper monti look like it had leprosy. Only fish I've ever had that I couldn't trap. One night he made the mistake of sleeping in a rock that I could easily remove. I literally had to shake him out of the hole in the rock he was in.

Never again.

c2l2parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely have to say my old sixline. I'll admit, when I got him I didn't do much research and pulled the trigger mainly as an attempt to clear my tank of spirorbis (it actually worked thankfully). I just had no clue he was going to be such a butthead. Serves me right for buying before researching.
My sixline wrasse has literally bullied two other wrasses to death. I had my leopard wrasse for 2 years, and she was doing great until the sixline terror got in the tank.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sixline wrasse has literally bullied two other wrasses to death. I had my leopard wrasse for 2 years, and she was doing great until the sixline terror got in the tank.
Mine straight up killed one goby. His death toll was one firefish and leopard bullied to death and one orange spotted goby actually killed.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sixline and coral beauty ganged up on the anthias and gramma to the point where the anthias stayed in the top corner of the tank like a whipped dog. He was ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED to even move! I could see the fear in his eyes! It was so heartbreaking.

So I tore the tank down, caught the 2 bullies gave them to the LFS. Adios ******s.

The anthias and gramma were happy after that. [emoji846]

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand Frog Fish, or Anglers I think they're called. The ones that look like a rock and dangle that thing off their head.

I had a predator tank, added this guy, and he got most of the fish I had to come to his dangler and ate them! I caught him with a 6" Lunare Wrasse hanging 3/4 out of his mouth. He was eating fish like 5 times his size. He also ate a grouper much bigger than him.

I never knew of a fish that was all mouth. Lets just say he didn't last long after I found where my disappearing fish went to.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand Frog Fish, or Anglers I think they're called. The ones that look like a rock and dangle that thing off their head.

I had a predator tank, added this guy, and he got most of the fish I had to come to his dangler and ate them! I caught him with a 6" Lunare Wrasse hanging 3/4 out of his mouth. He was eating fish like 5 times his size. He also ate a grouper much bigger than him.

I never knew of a fish that was all mouth. Lets just say he didn't last long after I found where my disappearing fish went to.
Hey hey, watch the angler hate!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dottie-back was a real hole until he became nutrients, stray Voltage? Now it's a black-ice clown one of 2 that I have, he was picking on the other so bad the others black stripes turned almost white, i had to put her in the sump for a few weeks to heal up now things got better. Now he picks on me, every time i do a water change and clean the glass he waits until the back of my hand is exposed he hammers it good, so now i have to chase him for 5 minutes to put him on notice. In fact he was just paroled from the sump last night, will see if the time out did any good.

My 6 line has been good, although my leopard wrasse rarely makes an appearance for awhile i thought i lost him, he was out for a couple of days and all looked well, healthy nobody picking at him. are they like that generally, after hearing about all of yours maybe the 6line is up to something, the leopard is 3-4" the 6 is 1.5"

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back