A fish you just don't like?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't say hate, let's say bore. I'm a big trigger fan, 30 years always had a trigger or few. So i thought I'd do my 210 fowlr more laid back and not so aggressive. So I put a pair of bluejaw triggers in, these are not triggers. It bothers me when people even speak of them as such. They are boooring. I'm tempted to pull apart 2oolbs of rock and pull them out and just give them to my friend that owns a lfs.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. From the get go I wanted a goby of some kind. I like fish that have a job. I haven't been able to get one because I haven't had a lid on my tank and didn't want one to jump out. I finally got my lid situation taken care of and off to the store I went.I bought a beautiful diamond watchman goby. I was super excited. Got him in the DT two weeks ago. He seemed totally cool. Going around scooping sand. Did some digging in a couple of spots and settled in under a big rock formation right in the middle. Since then I've seen him out sifting sand once and he came out one more time for just a second. I can see him through the glass bottom of the tank moving around and he pops his head out and eats pellets. I'm just ticked off. My most anticipated addition has turned out to be a reclusive cave dweller that I never see. Not to mention, he's not doing his job, my sand is looking like crap. My wife has never seen him lol.
This certainly sounds like the diamond goby is being bullied. Normally they are out and about.

As far as a fish I can't stand, it's close between a sixline wrasses and engineer goby. Both cause problems, sixline due to their aggression, engineers because of their trench building.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can LOVE a fish and then hate it because it starts to bully a new fish and then love it again after it settles down. :p

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown goby. I bought 2, one killed the other and then just hid in the rocks till it died. I love every goby except those

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't stand my blue-green chromis. They were ok 10 years ago when they were small and shiny and metallic. But now they're just ugly, drab looking carp. If only I could catch them...if only... yeah right.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hate is a strawberry basslet/orchid dottyback. When the wife says I want a pink fish, look it's pretty. Don't do it!! It was fine for about 3 months, nice and active, then once it had its territory (24gallon tank) that was it, it killed every shrimp and hermit crab I added and bullied to death every new fish that came after it. Could I catch it? nope! Had to tear the tank down. Worst purchase ever!!!
Royal gramma is a much better choice.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hate is a strawberry basslet/orchid dottyback. When the wife says I want a pink fish, look it's pretty. Don't do it!! It was fine for about 3 months, nice and active, then once it had its territory (24gallon tank) that was it, it killed every shrimp and hermit crab I added and bullied to death every new fish that came after it. Could I catch it? nope! Had to tear the tank down. Worst purchase ever!!!
Royal gramma is a much better choice.
Just remember, strawberry basslet and orchid dottyback are 2 different fish. Strawberry dottyback is also called purple pseudochromis and is very aggressive. Orchid dottyback/fridmani is much better behaved.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my purchase was miss informed that's why I used both names as I did the research on the better behaved one but purchased the cheaper more aggressive one . Hence the price, and you get what you pay for. If all the nice looking, well behaved fish were cheap we wouldn't have these discussions.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a wartskin angler who always stayed right in front of the tank. After he died, DD had a "coinbearing angler." I bought that one. Putting him in the tank was the last time I saw him, lol. Every 3-4 days he would poke his head out, I would put some food on a stick and he would eat it. Then goodbye for 3 more days. Always in the same cave.

He was the first one to die when I had a recent velvet outbreak. I still miss making fun of him with the wife.

seaponygirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a pseudochromis because he was beautiful and I wanted a fish that would be ok with my mandarin and wouldn't hide all the time. Well big mistake. He was so mean. Didn't bother my mandarin but killed my black ray goby and attacked my watchman goby I caught him ( took forever even in my little 30 gal tank) and donated him to the tank at my work. I learned to do a lot of research and ask lots of questions on here before I add any more fish. Btw my goby was super shy until I purchased a pistol shrimp. Goby comes out a lot more now. It's so much fun watching the two of them dig tunnels all over my tank. My pistol shrimp loves to drag my small hermit crabs and empty shells into his caves. Lol
I have tried pairing two sets of gobies and pistol shrimp. No matches, so don't count on them making a happy couple.

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to agree with pajama cardinals. I have two in one tank and a pair of bangis in another and to be honest the bangis are some what cool to watch and seem to have personality although it's small and lacking compared to other fish.

The pajamas however... they just seem like they are an waste of bio load, then I first added them they used to chase each other across the tank and Shoah but now they seem to be always on the opposite sides of tank and just float in place in the currant.

I have my days where I hate my kole tang cause he's an meanie and then in my other tank I just love the tommini tang but when you walk into the room he darts and hides.
But if I had to pick a fish I Own that I hate and will never buy again, it'd be the pajamas

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emporator angel, for behavioral reasons. He doesn't get along with anyone in the tank. Goes round with my niger, picks on my puffer, has stand offs with the clown trigger, and tries to keep the eel in her cave. Some days I'd like to eat him.

Working toward a healthy tank. That is the stock in a 240, I think I need more fish but the ones I have are all pretty big

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggressive tangs like sohal and clown tang. All the fansy and expensive wrasses - to me they are blehhh

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Goby - Great fish, fun to watch, but man there's sand everywhere in my tank now! All over my corals it's frustrating lol.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Domino Damsels... they are mean as crap and the bigger they get the meaner they get. Not to mention they are a pain in the but to get out of your tank once they are in there...

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Pajama Cardinal list. Remind me of freshwater days ... just really big Tiger Barbs ... but at least the Tiger Barbs were active. On the other hand I DO like my Bangai Cardinals!

Jenna Bearden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you've had bad luck with your guy! I can't say the same. I bought one he was awesome until he made a rock slide and committed suicide... My next one withered away, the next jumped out a tiny hole in back of lid and I found him the next day . Now my one that I wish I wouldn't have gotten is the blue damsel. I bought a pair for my 65gallon, well the one that is alive now killed my nice one . I'll never get another one no matter how pretty it is!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back