A fish you just don't like?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs. Never have like them and never will. They really are not well suited for home aquariums with their constant high speed swimming and they attack each other and other similar fish along with occasionally using that scalpel on hands that enter the tank. I think it's unfortunate such unsuitable and uninspiring fish have become a hallmark of saltwater fishkeeping.

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most disliked fish is also my most liked fish - Can I do that?
Flame Hawkfish, dude has a ton of personality but he's a serial killer. So far he's killed two green chromis, and clown fish, and has taken to relentlessly torturing my royal gramma. Twice he has taken a chunk out of the Royal Gramma. I have to give the Royal Gramma credit, it is the heartiest fish I have ever owned. Beside getting half eaten, it has survived ich and the associated hospital stay - this was when I was foolish and did not QT. It has survived either popeye or a sniper shot from the Flame Hawkfish. Still not sure if the eye is even functional. In the process of upgrading to a RSR 170, so now have the RG isolated in a hospital tank to heal up before the move. Hopefully a new tank will cool the Flame Hawkfish down some.

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, such violence.
I guess I've just been lucky. The only (long-term) bullying I've ever dealt with was with Firefish. I purchased 5 for my home DT after reading that odd numbers will lessen the chance of aggression. And all was peaceful for several months, and then 5 became 4, 4 became 3 and now there are 2. I'm assuming these two paired up and decided three's a crowd. But the happy couple stick to themselves now and don't bother any of their other tank-mates. But that is fish-on-fish bullying. I've got a female clown in my office DT who bullies me every time my hand goes into the tank. Funny how I can be intimidated of a 2" guppy. The way she comes at me, I'm afraid I'll lose a finger!

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Clownfish.
Simply hated how the little ingrates would nip the crap out of me whenever I did anything in the tank.
Couldn't stand it.
Plus they kind just bobble around, which is not very exciting...
Got rid of em.
Haven't looked back

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line has been good, although my leopard wrasse rarely makes an appearance for awhile i thought i lost him, he was out for a couple of days and all looked well, healthy nobody picking at him. are they like that generally, after hearing about all of yours maybe the 6line is up to something, the leopard is 3-4" the 6 is 1.5"

It's most likely the sixline as they don't tend to play nice with other wrasse

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dottie-back was a real hole until he became nutrients, stray Voltage? Now it's a black-ice clown one of 2 that I have, he was picking on the other so bad the others black stripes turned almost white, i had to put her in the sump for a few weeks to heal up now things got better. Now he picks on me, every time i do a water change and clean the glass he waits until the back of my hand is exposed he hammers it good, so now i have to chase him for 5 minutes to put him on notice. In fact he was just paroled from the sump last night, will see if the time out did any good.

My 6 line has been good, although my leopard wrasse rarely makes an appearance for awhile i thought i lost him, he was out for a couple of days and all looked well, healthy nobody picking at him. are they like that generally, after hearing about all of yours maybe the 6line is up to something, the leopard is 3-4" the 6 is 1.5"

Yea, my Royal Gramma (Dottyback) was a mean s.o.b.. They even have a mean look on their face, lol. Once he took his territory of rock, even the Harlequin Tusk couldn't swim past without an attack. All day he was like a watchdog protecting his real estate.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand Frog Fish, or Anglers I think they're called. The ones that look like a rock and dangle that thing off their head.

I had a predator tank, added this guy, and he got most of the fish I had to come to his dangler and ate them! I caught him with a 6" Lunare Wrasse hanging 3/4 out of his mouth. He was eating fish like 5 times his size. He also ate a grouper much bigger than him.

I never knew of a fish that was all mouth. Lets just say he didn't last long after I found where my disappearing fish went to.

Iol!

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...

I knew you'd check me on that. Do they all try to eat any/all fish, or is it just certain species? Because no joke, that thing would've eaten the lion fish I had if it weren't venomous.

I think it's more a function of whether or not it can open its mouth far enough.

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pajama cardinals.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone thought "oh that's cool I want to keep those. I'm going to take it out of the ocean and NOT eat it."

I know kind of harsh. But seriously it's ugly and does nothing, they barely even react when you feed them!
They're boring, plain, ugly fish that should never have been kept.
Dito! It was my first fish, the LFS gave me some free gsp to start out with after the tank cycled, so I felt compelled to purchase something, a PJ...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...

I knew you'd check me on that. Do they all try to eat any/all fish, or is it just certain species? Because no joke, that thing would've eaten the lion fish I had if it weren't venomous.
An angler can swallow something 25% larger than itself, and will try anything smaller.

Lina Rae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you've had bad luck with your guy! I can't say the same. I bought one he was awesome until he made a rock slide and committed suicide... My next one withered away, the next jumped out a tiny hole in back of lid and I found him the next day . Now my one that I wish I wouldn't have gotten is the blue damsel. I bought a pair for my 65gallon, well the one that is alive now killed my nice one . I'll never get another one no matter how pretty it is!

I got a blue damsel and a honey damsel as my first fish ever. Big mistake! the honey damsel tortured everyone in the tank including the blue damsel for an entire year. I bought a coral beauty and the honey damsel kept rolling him, beating the crap out of him so I'd had enough bullying and captured him... took me three days! Can't say what i did with him because it'd be looked down on lol. But now my blue damsel is a very nice well behaved tank mate for now. The evil damsel has only been gone for 3 weeks. So time will tell. Not to mention they get really ugly, loose color and stripes when they mature
614c96f9e0941283cbc7a98640d12645.jpg

Lina Rae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame back angel that was an absolute bully, he terrorized everyone in the tank constantly even though he was only 1 of 11 total fish in a 175 gallon system. He chased a powder blue around until it died from stress and then went to work on my regal angel which is when I hit my limit and nearly had to break the tank down to catch him and get him out.

I isolated him in the sump for a month, then put him back in the main display hoping the other fish had gotten healthy and staked out their territory.

It didn't make any difference, he immediately went back to his reign of terror so when I caught him the second time he was flushed down the toilet!!'

Glad I'm not the only one who has flushed a mean fish!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...

Mine have always been the smallest fish in the tank, but I would assume so.

I don't think they see the price tag on the fish before it eats it, lol.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have always been the smallest fish in the tank, but I would assume so.

I don't think they see the price tag on the fish before it eats it, lol.

Do they eat anything besides live food?
I find them interesting, but because it looks like a rock, never really moves, and dangles his wand all day, it's inevitable that a fish is going to go check it out and become lunch.

Like I said, mine had a 6" wrasse hanging out of its mouth. When I saw that, I tried to pull the wrasse out because only his head was in the Anglers mouth. But the head was already partially digested when I got it out.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eat anything besides live food?
I find them interesting, but because it looks like a rock, never really moves, and dangles his wand all day, it's inevitable that a fish is going to go check it out and become lunch.

Like I said, mine had a 6" wrasse hanging out of its mouth. When I saw that, I tried to pull the wrasse out because only his head was in the Anglers mouth. But the head was already partially digested when I got it out.
I've taught 3 anglers to eat frozen off of a tool I made (also taught 4 lions). My newest one (painted black angler) to eat frozen in 4 days. Now he swims up to the top when he sees the tool.

I still believe that any angler or lion fish will eat whatever will fit in it's mouth. A zebra can't change it's stripes.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like another member, my most hated is also one of my favorites (Arabian Psuedochromis). They're beautiful and active but boy are they mean. Six lines are a close second.

Neon-Dottyback-z6IVSa.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back