A fish you just don't like?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taught 3 anglers to eat frozen off of a tool I made (also taught 4 lions). My newest one (painted black angler) to eat frozen in 4 days. Now he swims up to the top when he sees the tool.

I still believe that any angler or lion fish will eat whatever will fit in it's mouth. A zebra can't change it's stripes.

Yea, my Volitan Lionfish would even eat flakes. He ate whatever I fed. That was before the frozen mysis availability. So they either got flakes, glass shrimp, or gold fish back then.

That was my first saltwater 75 gallon bow predator tank that I bought used with the old Marineland sump and giant biowheel, with a skimmer that used an airline and air stone, lol.

I'm actually glad the tank sprung a leak in a way and killed all the fish, not the 80 gallons of saltwater on the carpet.

Because I was 18 then, now 39, and the internet was in its infancy, there wasn't forums like this. I had 6 fish in that tank that would've grown well over a foot each. A Volitan Lionfish, Lunare Wrasse, Harlequin Tuskfish, Blue Line Grouper, Panther Grouper, Clown Trigger, Niger Trigger, Huma Huma/Picasso Trigger, Dog-Faced Puffer, Porcupine Puffer, Angler, and a Long Horned Cowfish. I even hatched a Banded Cat Shark egg in the sump. There were a few others but can't remember. I liked odd looking, unusual fish. None were close to full size when the tank leaked from the bottom seam.

But coming from freshwater back then, I didn't think stores would sell fish to people that got that big and they never said how big they would eventually get. Glad we have info available to new people in the hobby so they don't make the same mistakes.

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, my Volitan Lionfish would even eat flakes. He ate whatever I fed. That was before the frozen mysis availability. So they either got flakes, glass shrimp, or gold fish back then.

That was my first saltwater 75 gallon bow predator tank that I bought used with the old Marineland sump and giant biowheel, with a skimmer that used an airline and air stone, lol.

I'm actually glad the tank sprung a leak in a way and killed all the fish, not the 80 gallons of saltwater on the carpet.

Because I was 18 then, now 39, and the internet was in its infancy, there wasn't forums like this. I had 6 fish in that tank that would've grown well over a foot each. A Volitan Lionfish, Lunare Wrasse, Harlequin Tuskfish, Blue Line Grouper, Panther Grouper, Clown Trigger, Niger Trigger, Huma Huma/Picasso Trigger, Dog-Faced Puffer, Porcupine Puffer, Angler, and a Long Horned Cowfish. I even hatched a Banded Cat Shark egg in the sump. There were a few others but can't remember. I liked odd looking, unusual fish. None were close to full size when the tank leaked from the bottom seam.

But coming from freshwater back then, I didn't think stores would sell fish to people that got that big and they never said how big they would eventually get. Glad we have info available to new people in the hobby so they don't make the same mistakes.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lion and miniatus grouper that would both eat Lifeline Green and Red frozen food around '96.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I say that would have been overcrowded to say the least, lol.

I ended up getting a 210 just for my porcupine puffer.

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're such nasty little things, and they scare me.
clown.png

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, my Royal Gramma (Dottyback) was a mean s.o.b.. They even have a mean look on their face, lol. Once he took his territory of rock, even the Harlequin Tusk couldn't swim past without an attack. All day he was like a watchdog protecting his real estate.

The Royal Gramma is a basslet, and the Bi-Color Dottyback is a pseudochromis. While appearing very similar, they are different species.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+143&pcatid=143

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/53/royal-gramma-basslet?pcatid=53&c=15+21+53

The meanest fish I've ever owned was a Bi-Color Dottyback. It was the last fish I added to my tank, but it took over the entire rock structure in one night, forcefully evicting damsels, gobies, blennies, clownfish, shrimp, crabs, and even dwarf angels much larger than itself. It even pulled hermits and asterina starfish from the outside of the rocks and spit them against the front glass, and relentlessly attacked turbo snails until they closed and fell off. That was one fish I was happy to find on my floor, and I will never own another regardless of tank size or existing tankmates.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Royal Gramma is a basslet, and the Bi-Color Dottyback is a pseudochromis. While appearing very similar, they are different species.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+143&pcatid=143

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/53/royal-gramma-basslet?pcatid=53&c=15+21+53

The meanest fish I've ever owned was a Bi-Color Dottyback. It was the last fish I added to my tank, but it took over the entire rock structure in one night, forcefully evicting damsels, gobies, blennies, clownfish, shrimp, crabs, and even dwarf angels much larger than itself. It even pulled hermits and asterina starfish from the outside of the rocks and spit them against the front glass, and relentlessly attacked turbo snails until they closed and fell off. That was one fish I was happy to find on my floor, and I will never own another regardless of tank size or existing tankmates.

I realized that after I posted it because they do look identical. I just went with it because the Royal Gramma was pretty bad too.

That's crazy that he would pick up your inverts and throw them against the front glass, lol. Like saying "get this crap outta here."

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized that after I posted it because they do look identical. I just went with it because the Royal Gramma was pretty bad too.

That's crazy that he would pick up your inverts and throw them against the front glass, lol. Like saying "get this crap outta here."

LOL... IKR?

What I don't get is everyone talking about damsels like they're demon spawn. From my very first tank, I've always had at least 3 types of damsels mixed with other fish, and I've never had any problems with them. Yes, maybe they do defend their territory a little more aggressively than some fish, but given enough real estate in the rockwork as well as free swimming space, they can also be as peaceful as any other species. But that pseudochromis was a bear of a different color. He didn't want anything else that could move in the same tank with him. It was a 55g with 80lbs of rock, and he was less than 2 inches, btw...

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say there's a fish I "hate", but I've sure been disappointed by a few.

Most recently by my Bartlett's anthias, who caused the deaths of not only the other Bartlett's, but flasher wrasses, as well; and by my striped parrotfish, who was very well-behaved in QT, but took an instant dislike to my orange-back fairy wrasse - and killed him.

~Bruce

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back