A good case why to quarantine corals

geniusgio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't injecting with a needle into their flesh cause them to release whatever they release to multiply, though? Or does it kill them that fast?

Not sure but when I did that one I had in a rock, I never saw a single one after.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll kill them pretty quickly. They don't replicate by spores. They use genetic material to reproduce.... Clones if you like. That's why when you scrape them you have to get absolutely every piece or it just regenerates from the teeny tiny spot of flesh that's missed, unless it's covered with super glue.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll kill them pretty quickly. They don't replicate by spores. They use genetic material to reproduce.... Clones if you like. That's why when you scrape them you have to get absolutely every piece or it just regenerates from the teeny tiny spot of flesh that's missed, unless it's covered with super glue.
So how do they pop up across the tank, then?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you need/like the rock I would take the shrooms off and throw the rock outside and let it dry out for a month or so then put it back in the tank or sump. If you don't need the rock then salvage the shrooms and throw the rock in the dumpster.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you need/like the rock I would take the shrooms off and throw the rock outside and let it dry out for a month or so then put it back in the tank or sump. If you don't need the rock then salvage the shrooms and throw the rock in the dumpster.

I don't need the rock at all, but the mushrooms seem to be really attached directly to the rock. First coral, so reslly haven't seen many mushrooms and how they normally attach! How do you remove them?

IonicBond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't injecting with a needle into their flesh cause them to release whatever they release to multiply, though? Or does it kill them that fast?

Hot Kalk is a godsend. It kills them instantly, no babies unless they were already present beforehand.

Re: Bubble Algae.

I agree totally with manual removal with dental pick and then swab the area thoroughly with undiluted Hydrogen Peroxide soaked Q-Tip. It's extremely tedious work but once that stuff reaches epidemic proportions you are going to have a lot of sorrow in your life. I just couldn't bear to look at my tank that got it bad.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrooms are pretty hardy, take the rock out, blow the shrooms till they shrink up then get a scalpel or razor blade and gently cut under them to dislodge them from the rock, this has worked for me in the past. I just did it with around 20 ricordea that I wanted off the rock as they where killing my acros they touched but I wanted to keep the nice rock. Some expert might have a better way.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrooms are pretty hardy, take the rock out, blow the shrooms till they shrink up then get a scalpel or razor blade and gently cut under them to dislodge them from the rock, this has worked for me in the past. I just did it with around 20 ricordea that I wanted off the rock as they where killing my acros they touched but I wanted to keep the nice rock. Some expert might have a better way.

To reattach them to another rock, do you use super glue, or something else?

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To reattach them to another rock, do you use super glue, or something else?

Yep. Super glue. I use IC-GEL from my LFS, but any Ethyl Cyanoacrylate will work. Just try not to glue your finger to the rock, like I did. :confused::oops:

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discovered in QT. Monti nudibranch

bS1jA5kh.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back