A guide to creating push notifications for the HYDROS on iOS

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the HYDROS app doesn’t yet support push notifications (as of the email I received from CoralVue staff Carlos yesterday) nor does it support sending an SMS anywhere except one country (...), I wanted to make sure that 1) some kind of push notifications actually occurred when an alert was triggered and 2) that they broke through ‘do not disturb mode’.

To get an email notification only from the Hydros emails
1. Add [email protected] to your VIP list (tap the email address, tap ‘VIP’
2. Go to Notifications>Mail>VIP and configure accordingly

How to receive an iMessage alert that will break through ’do not disturb’ mode:
1. Open the Shortcuts app (download it if you have to)
2. Go to the ‘Automations’ tab
3. Create a new automation that triggers when an email is received from [email protected] (If you have multiple aquariums/HYDROS systems like me, you can configure the filter to include the ID of the Hydros computer, so that you can differentiate which aquarium it is in the next step. If you do this, you’ll need to create an automation for each computer)
4. Select an action of ‘send a message‘, set the recipient to yourself
5. Go into Contacts, tap ‘My Card’, got o edit, go to the text tone, and toggle ‘Emergency Bypass’ to ‘On’. I went a step further and selected the Alert ringtone (Classic>Alert) which is an obnoxious klaxon alarm that doesn’t stop

There you go! Peace of mind until they finish polishing their app and get it up to modern app expectations. However, even push notifications wouldn’t break through ‘dnd’ mode, so the above is still useful, because the only non-DIY method of breaking through push notifications would be for CoralVue to stop discriminating against 194 of the 195 countries in the world ;)

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the HYDROS app doesn’t yet support push notifications (as of the email I received from CoralVue staff Carlos yesterday) nor does it support sending an SMS anywhere except one country (...), I wanted to make sure that 1) some kind of push notifications actually occurred when an alert was triggered and 2) that they broke through ‘do not disturb mode’.

3. Create a new automation that triggers when an email is received from [email protected] (If you have multiple aquariums/HYDROS systems like me, you can configure the filter to include the ID of the Hydros computer, so that you can differentiate which aquarium it is in the next step. If you do this, you’ll need to create an automation for each computer)
5. Go into Contacts, tap ‘My Card’, got o edit, go to the text tone, and toggle ‘Emergency Bypass’ to ‘On’. I went a step further and selected the Alert ringtone (Classic>Alert) which is an obnoxious klaxon alarm that doesn’t stop

There you go! Peace of mind until they finish polishing their app and get it up to modern app expectations. However, even push notifications wouldn’t break through ‘dnd’ mode, so the above is still useful, because the only non-DIY method of breaking through push notifications would be for CoralVue to stop discriminating against 194 of the 195 countries in the world ;)
Generally speaking Hydros has only been released officially in the United States. No ones discriminating. I know there are plans for future releases outside of the US. I do want to thank you for this posting . There maybe a few floating outside of the US .

We purposely don’t sell outside of the USA. We don’t have any distributors outside the US. Once we do have distribution set up all of this will change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment at Americans ;)

I’m in Japan and I was able to purchase the HYDROS online. I love it, and eagerly awaiting the app updates. Thank you!

Layne.Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is awesome I have been looking for something like this for so long! Critical notifications are no good if you can't see them! As a consistent user of the DND mode myself, I really appreciate you taking the time to write this out.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome I have been looking for something like this for so long! Critical notifications are no good if you can't see them! As a consistent user of the DND mode myself, I really appreciate you taking the time to write this out.
The Hydros does support push notification now and has for quite a while. This is an old post.

Layne.Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydros does support push notification now and has for quite a while. This is an old post.
Yes, it does support push notifications. But they are rendered useless if you use do not disturb mode on your device. There is no noise, and they are sent to a hidden menu until it is disabled.

I find do not-disturb mode very helpful when I want to disable my notifications so I can stay focused on work, and I am sure many other people do as well. More than half of every day, I use DND mode.

During that time, Hydros alarms are useless. This guide fixes that issue by bypassing DND mode and sending an audible push notification for your Hydros while still keeping all your other app notifications, text messages, etc., disabled.

*EDIT
I reread the post, and yeah, your right. This was before push notifications were available, I didn't catch that. I didn't know they didn't support push notifications at one point. This guide is still helpful because these one's breakthrough DND mode, unlike regular push notifications.

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it does support push notifications. But they are rendered useless if you use do not disturb mode on your device. There is no noise, and they are sent to a hidden menu until it is disabled.

I find do not-disturb mode very helpful when I want to disable my notifications so I can stay focused on work, and I am sure many other people do as well. More than half of every day, I use DND mode.

During that time, Hydros alarms are useless. This guide fixes that issue by bypassing DND mode and sending an audible push notification for your Hydros while still keeping all your other app notifications, text messages, etc., disabled.

*EDIT
I reread the post, and yeah, your right. This was before push notifications were available, I didn't catch that. I didn't know they didn't support push notifications at one point. This guide is still helpful because these one's breakthrough DND mode, unlike regular push notifications.
I have never used DND mode. But were I worked until I retired cell phones were not allowed in the factory. So it was off in my locker when I was in the factory.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back