A happily eating copperband, and where can I get an Atlantic longnose butterfly(Prognathodes aculeatus)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Live aquaria and fish 4 less have longnose. RESEARCH longnose before acquiring. They are excellent for hunting pests due to their long snouts getting into crevices.
However they can be finicky and suddenly stop eating as well as being susceptible to bacteria infections as well as lymphocystis

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kp aquatics is probably your best source. I think they are oos now but if you sign up for an email you'll have a good chance of getting one if you can be patient.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria and fish 4 less have longnose. RESEARCH longnose before acquiring. They are excellent for hunting pests due to their long snouts getting into crevices.
However they can be finicky and suddenly stop eating as well as being susceptible to bacteria infections as well as lymphocystis
u mean the Caribbean one?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Atlantic longnose last year that i got from my lfs, but unfortunately lost it to velvet. It was one of my favorites too just due to how uncommon they are
20200129_101728.jpg

20200121_131553.jpg

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite butterflies. I had one years ago. It ate all kinds of feather dusters and zoas but I lost it to velvet. Check out saltwaterfish.com. They do have a P. marcelle for sale which is a prettier fish IMO.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KPA but they are rare.... seem to pop up once or twice a year in very limited numbers. Probably won't be popping up this time of year though.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite butterflies. I had one years ago. It ate all kinds of feather dusters and zoas but I lost it to velvet. Check out saltwaterfish.com. They do have a P. marcelle for sale which is a prettier fish IMO.
yeah P. maecelle is also great, but I come from a place where I can get a P. marcelle for 100 bucks so I wanna try something more special.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Atlantic longnose last year that i got from my lfs, but unfortunately lost it to velvet. It was one of my favorites too just due to how uncommon they are
20200129_101728.jpg

20200121_131553.jpg
LOVE it! Sorry for your loss though, velvets are a pretty nasty thing to deal with. I once had a 1-inch Roa Modesta and she got velvet, cured it with TTM though. The CBB I currently have also developed velvet during TTM, luckily she survived.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
China (like seriously), a lot of fish are much cheaper.
Most of the Asian/Eastern countries tend to get rarer fish cheaper because of how many rich collectors get a hold of their fish from there so the rarer fish/coral pass through Asia then go into Europe and the rest of the world from there after most of the rare animals have been “taken hostage”. I would love to set up a tank with some of the rarer but still obtainable species in this hobby I just don’t have the money and by then, bankruptcy is just a word and money is just a number haha.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the Asian/Eastern countries tend to get rarer fish cheaper because of how many rich collectors get a hold of their fish from there so the rarer fish/coral pass through Asia then go into Europe and the rest of the world from there after most of the rare animals have been “taken hostage”. I would love to set up a tank with some of the rarer but still obtainable species in this hobby I just don’t have the money and by then, bankruptcy is just a word and money is just a number haha.
True! I always wanted to get some exotic species that simply don't come to China such as the roa excelsa or other native American fishes (they are much cheaper here in the States).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back