A Light Meter for Less Than $10

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really great read up and DIY project to try. But my main concern besides water proofing it could be, how I get the approx measurements knowing that PUR is more important for us than PAR. Par as I understand it's intensity of visible light, that if it's to much it's detrimental for the corals something that corals don't really need it at all, basically for the visual and photo period exposure. How should I take this measure? Crank the blue's and Violet and measure and then add white, red and green colors just for visual aesthetic?

@Dana Riddle thank's for your contributions as always, your knowledge always is a go through guideline. And this experiment it's a buck saving for all of us that want to be able to get the best out of our lights.

@bigcheese that is a good idea for water proof, so far any thought about it or anything else that could be done to make it better? Thanks you also.

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gino:
@bigcheese that is a good idea for water proof, so far any thought about it or anything else that could be done to make it better? Thanks you also.

I could get more practice with my spray can skills. That stuff doesn't come out like Rustoleum [emoji23] .

I hear ya on the PUR.
I think I mentioned before about using some color fiters on top of the PV cell itself to build an optical 'notch' filter and isolate those colors we care about, but it would have been both a PITA to use and a PITA for me to build tiny little square plastic sandwiches with my fat sausage fingers. In the end, it would have cost about the same as buying a quantum meter, so I got bored with that experiment.
I did find a $9 (cheap and pretty accurate) RGBW sensor chip used in a few scientific projects I want to try. Spectral response for each of the color sensors seems to be right in line with each peak for Chlorophyll a/b, Anthocyanins and Xanthophylls.

The key here is that it's a chip, not a turnkey device. Besides the chip itself, I'd be looking at building a waterproof housing (3d printed) and a module to power it, collect the data, do some math things, and output it in human-readable format. That's definitely going to cost more than $10, but hopefully way less than a Seneye, Li-Cor or Apogee. I'll call $75 a success.
We'll see after summer... work's got me absolutely crushed until then.

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gino:

I could get more practice with my spray can skills. That stuff doesn't come out like Rustoleum [emoji23] .

I hear ya on the PUR.
I think I mentioned before about using some color fiters on top of the PV cell itself to build an optical 'notch' filter and isolate those colors we care about, but it would have been both a PITA to use and a PITA for me to build tiny little square plastic sandwiches with my fat sausage fingers. In the end, it would have cost about the same as buying a quantum meter, so I got bored with that experiment.
I did find a $9 (cheap and pretty accurate) RGBW sensor chip used in a few scientific projects I want to try. Spectral response for each of the color sensors seems to be right in line with each peak for Chlorophyll a/b, Anthocyanins and Xanthophylls.

The key here is that it's a chip, not a turnkey device. Besides the chip itself, I'd be looking at building a waterproof housing (3d printed) and a module to power it, collect the data, do some math things, and output it in human-readable format. That's definitely going to cost more than $10, but hopefully way less than a Seneye, Li-Cor or Apogee. I'll call $75 a success.
We'll see after summer... work's got me absolutely crushed until then.
Definitely that project will be a must follow tread. And by far a well spend $75 versus $250+ to just use it ones or twice every other year or so. If you manage to make it work.
Take care and KoR

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, could you provide the mathematical formula used to generate the depth coefficients? I skimmed the thread and didn't spot any other discussion of this..

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skim down slowly through the first post, the conversion factors are in a table. The results weren’t linear.
@JohnMzreef

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I did see the table but wondering how it was generated? or does anyone know of a similar table that goes down to 24 inches?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I did see the table but wondering how it was generated? or does anyone know of a similar table that goes down to 24 inches?
Measurements made with the submersible Li-Cor quantum sensor at various depths were used to calculate coefficients.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should get you close.

coefficient.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back