A little help please

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the media basket. Right now I have the original filter with some media but I’m thinking I’m going to just get floss and some other media. I feel like the floss works better.
I do like the floss better than the stock cartridge. Plus those cartilages are expensive for what they are. My current set up consists of the following:
Chamber 1 Corallife V2 skimmer (which I would opt for something better if you can find something else that works) Held on by the clip. The clip was used because I needed the lip for my intank media basket diverter.
Chamber 2-Intank media basket with Intank filter floss on top, Chemipure elite underneath, then marine pure media balls on the bottom and next to the media basket. I have not purchased intank fuge basket, although I may do this at some point down the line.
Chamber 3 (return chamber) I have the stock return pump connected to the Biocube UV light (which honestly, I feel is just a glorified lightbulb)

I ran the stock basket for awhile but its flimsy and was such a pain to get in and out during maintenance with all my marine pure balls. In the long run, the intank media basket uses much less filter floss and channels the water through my filtering media better. This is not to say you have to purchase one. I ran the stock for about 8 months before taking the plunge. In hindsight, I kind of wish I hadn't waited so long.
As far as water levels are concerned, I would just make sure you have enough water an inch or two above your return pump or covering any media balls in chamber 2 if you use them. I think my water level level in chamber 2 stay around halfway full. Hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any further questions, or try to get some photos later if you want.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Stephanie! My 32 Biocube was going to be used for a quarantine tank. I didn't like the plastic rack so I inserted a sponge on the right side which goes from bottom to 1" below the carbon insert filter, some media in a bag which will allow copepods to house and a bag of chemipure Elite by the lower foam filter. I keep the water level in the return pump area about 5/8 up.

Coraline algae was thriving 6 months later and I pleased with the tank but it is no longer a quarantine tank as my wife loves the smaller resident fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back