A little history

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It seems you have one of the most valuable traits for being a reefer: persistence. Most of have been there at one time or another.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I've also seen the hobby change over that span of time. The knowledge and technology have expanded a lot since those days.

One note: 86 degrees would work for freshwater ich but saltwater ich (Cryptocaryon) won't care. You either need to use a chemical treatment like formalin, chloroquine, copper, etc or you need a very properly-sized UV sterilizer. Saltwater ich is also much harder to kill with UV than freshwater ich. You need about 280,000 microwatts. Or leave the tank fishless for about 40 days.

I think you'll be a lot happier if you set that 10 gallon up as a quarantine tank from time to time when you get new fish. At this stage you can use it as a hospital tank for the sick fish if needed, but if you have a QT tank running it will pay dividends! Once you get some stable fish it will be better to avoid infecting the 29 gallon with a new fish. Give it a few weeks in the QT tank first. Some prefer to dose antibiotics and stuff as a prophylactic, some just watch for illness. Either is better than adding new fish to the display tank.

All the best in your reefing dude! It can be frustrating at times, but you already have a lot of knowledge and we're here to help. Your outlook is bright if you stick with it!

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I've also seen the hobby change over that span of time. The knowledge and technology have expanded a lot since those days.

One note: 86 degrees would work for freshwater ich but saltwater ich (Cryptocaryon) won't care. You either need to use a chemical treatment like formalin, chloroquine, copper, etc or you need a very properly-sized UV sterilizer. Saltwater ich is also much harder to kill with UV than freshwater ich. You need about 280,000 microwatts. Or leave the tank fishless for about 40 days.

I think you'll be a lot happier if you set that 10 gallon up as a quarantine tank from time to time when you get new fish. At this stage you can use it as a hospital tank for the sick fish if needed, but if you have a QT tank running it will pay dividends! Once you get some stable fish it will be better to avoid infecting the 29 gallon with a new fish. Give it a few weeks in the QT tank first. Some prefer to dose antibiotics and stuff as a prophylactic, some just watch for illness. Either is better than adding new fish to the display tank.

All the best in your reefing dude! It can be frustrating at times, but you already have a lot of knowledge and we're here to help. Your outlook is bright if you stick with it!
Thx for the reply. The 10g is my qt tank. I set it up last year after i upgraded to the 29g.I quarantine all of my fish. The royal gramma that showed signs of ich was in qt for 3 weeks with no signs of ich. There is a thread on another forum that suggest raising temps will shorten the life span of ich. Raising the temp to 86 will shorten it to 2 weeks. However it will only target the free swimmers so stirring the sandbed is reccomended. I am only 5 days in to the process. So I have a couple of more weeks. I am treating the royal gramma in qt with Copper Power. It has not showed any signs of ich after the 4th day I put it in there.

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It seems you have one of the most valuable traits for being a reefer: persistence. Most of have been there at one time
Welcome to R2R! It seems you have one of the most valuable traits for being a reefer: persistence. Most of have been there at one time or another.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Persistence and patience is the key in this hobby. Either that or I am just to stubborn.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back