A macroalgae reef engineer: Have you kept Halimeda in your tank?

Have you kept Halimeda in your tank?

• I currently have Halimeda in my tank.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • I have kept Halimeda in my tank in the past.

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • I haven’t kept Halimeda yet, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I have no plans to keep Halimeda in my tanks.

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A macroalgae reef engineer: Have you kept Halimeda in your tank?

A fast-growing macro algae that deposits calcium carbonate, Halimeda sp. can be an interesting and useful addition to your reef. While not for everyone, Halimeda offers an alternative to Caulerpa. While grazing fish may not be drawn to this macroalgae, it has been found to be an effective reef engineer in the wild. In the tank Halimeda provides effective nutrient export and doesn’t require high levels of light. Please let us know if you have ever kept Halimeda in your tank. If you have we encourage you to share your experiences, pictures, and any tips that you can share!

TritonUS_Halimeda.jpeg

Photo by @Triton US

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock that came with a very small patch attached. That was a month ago. It is growing very fast. I did not know what it was until this post, but I'm very pleased so far. The rocks are in my sump

Last edited:

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Halimeda growing all over my rocks for like 1.5 years. Looks very nice, but as they died off they compose to white powdery stuff, and as I had a lot I got a lot white powder .... so when I upgraded to a larger tank I got rid of them

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently have a bunch in my 14 cube as a means of nutrient export! I also do work at my university collecting wild halimeda here in Florida to help study ciguatera poisoning since the little critters that produce it THRIVE on halimeda and dictyota. so me and halimeda are very well acquainted! Gotta love having a truly endless supply of this stuff from the lab!

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the "small" for decade.
They are pretty white when light turn on and turn green later.

Attachments

• 20230917_185409.jpg
    20230917_185409.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 97

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mryan04290

I am not familiar with ciguatera poisoning or the critters that produce it. My wife and I are going to the KEYS next week and I was planning on bringing some Halimeda back for my tank. Are these critters attached to the plant and if so is this a threat to my tank/

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently have a bunch in my 14 cube as a means of nutrient export! I also do work at my university collecting wild halimeda here in Florida to help study ciguatera poisoning since the little critters that produce it THRIVE on halimeda and dictyota. so me and halimeda are very well acquainted! Gotta love having a truly endless supply of this stuff from the lab!
I am not familiar with ciguatera poisoning or the critters that produce it. My wife and I are going to the KEYS next week and I was planning on bringing some Halimeda back for my tank. Are these critters attached to the plant and if so is this a threat to my tank/

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don’t plan on eating anything in your tank you’ll be perfectly fine! Here’s a link to the main project we work on for more information! https://www.ciguapire.org/research

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over 10 years ago, when I a friend gave me his tank as he was going out of the hobby, I had Halimeda. I liked it, but after on or 2 years it went sexual, and never came back.
Recently I decided to try again. I got some from gulf coast about 2 month ago. It is not doing very well, so I am just wandering what to do to help it. I am not sure if it should be in the sand or glued on the rocks.
I do not have corals, so I could put it anywhere.

carol3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two macroalgae only tanks and I really like the Halimeda, it's a nice dark green color and grows easily for me. It is a calcareous algae so it sucks up the calcium, I dose ChaetoGro and Easy Green fertilizer (it's a comprehensive freshwater fertilizer) and do weekly water changes. I use T5's on both of the macro tanks. If you have algae eating creatures in your tank Halimeda is one of the few algaes they will likely leave alone.

ALEXRAPTOR, that is a great photo!

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some growing really well in my 30g, anyone know which nutrient's it's consuming the most, I seem to have really good daily growth, haven't measure pull chunk's off every couple of day's so it doesn't take over.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria that produce Ciguatera live in 100-200’ of water inside of black coral. Parrot fish grazing, carry bacteria up the food chain into apex predators like barracuda. The Caribbean is a hot spot for Ciguatera with barracuda

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It grew like the plague in my sunlit t5 tank but turned to dust in my led reef. My local coral farm place grew it under exclusively sunlight in a greenhouse. They seem to love natural light/lots of white light and don't seem to like our bluer led reef lighting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back